Saving Money on Greeting Cards

Category Cards
Greeting cards are getting more expensive each year. This is a guide about saving money on greeting cards.

Embellish dollar store greeting cards with bargains from the scrapbook or discount stores. I find items on clearance (recently 3 packs for $1.00), that can really dress up a plain greeting card; bows, emblems, tiny gems, flowers, words, the choices are endless. I had recently bought a box of all occasion cards at Cracker Barrel that gave me the idea. The items mentioned give them a 3-D look, very impressive.

By Shirley F. from Tallassee, TN

I am fortunate enough to have a great library in my town. One of the benefits is they have a lady who brings in all the makings for a couple of greeting cards. Lots of fun to see how "creative" each person is. One thing, depending on how high a decoration sticks out from the card you may need extra postage as they require hand stamping. Keep this in mind when you are creating your cards to prevent them being returned for postage.

To save money on greeting cards, keep a card file! I am always on the hunt for bargain cards/note cards to send for birthdays and other occasions. I even have get well, and sympathy cards on hand.

I find them at dollar stores, thrift shops, and even as gifts from card manufacturers. I just got sweet cards for hubby's birthday in a box of cards. I also keep a calligraphy pen set to write in personalized greetings; especially in note cards without any greeting inside. Your recipients will have no idea that the card priced at $3-4 on the back was gotten for $.25 or less!

By Pamphyila from LA, CA

I sometimes make cards on the computer. Often times I'll buy cards at the discount card shops or Dollar stores. Also I am always on the look out for nice cards at garage sales and thrift stores.

At a garage sale I found this neat card file box. It not only looks real pretty but came with dividers. When my Mom died I took a bunch of unused all occasion cards from her house and it sure was nice to get them all organized.

This was a good idea! It's always the thought that counts and I think if you can find nice cards on sale or make them yourself, why spend big money on Hallmark!

A couple of good ways to save money on cards: The dollar store has a surprisingly good array of cards and at mine (Dollar Tree) they are 2 for a dollar. We also like to make cards by using construction paper. We cut out a picture of someone (funny, famous, whatever) and write something in a "balloon" (like in the comics). There are so many possibilities!

By joynchocolate from Lancaster, Pa

I like to buy white card stock. Use shaving cream and food coloring, mix together and put on a flat cookie sheet. Lay the white card stock on the shaving cream and it picks the colors up. It makes a very great looking sheet of paper. You can use it for cards, bookmarks, or whatever you would a regular piece of paper. Hopefully this gives you some ideas.

Since I frequently send cards, I buy a supply of them at yard sales and dollar stores to have on hand. While they have attractive pictures on the fronts and include thoughtful messages inside, most of the cheaper cards have no color inside.

My mother always had a well-stocked card box and I carried on her tradition. Every time I shop for cards, I will find several I like or sometimes I like one so much I get several of it.

In our family, we keep all the greeting cards contained in a nice plastic container. It works pretty well, but when you went to look for an appropriate card, you'd have to sort through all of them to find the right kind.

In my less organized life, I often found myself without a card for a birthday, anniversary or even get well. I now "Stock-up" when I am at the card store. We have a 49 cent card store in Louisville that I use for this purpose.

I decided to purchase greeting cards ahead of time to avoid constant running to the store. I bought a Pendaflex Expanding Folder...

Greeting cards have gotten so expensive and my husband has a large family and lots of birthday cards to send out. So I look for nice birthday cards at thrift shops, when they have them.

I make cards whenever possible but when I have to buy one, I am always amazed at how much they cost. I like to give truly recyclable cards.

My mother gives my father his birthday card, anniversary card, etc. He opens it and he reads it and thanks her. She then goes to her file and puts the card in a file.

Handmade Christmas card.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about making your own greeting cards. Personalized homemade cards can be very special correspondences for your friends and family.

Dollar stores and thrift stores are great places to pick up some cheap greeting cards. Don't underestimate the power of a greeting card.

Tips for saving money on greeting cards. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Making Cards

Have artsy kids? Save money on cards by having your kids make them!(05/26/2005)

By Joanne A.

Inexpensive Father's and Mother's Day Cards

Buy a plastic box about the size of a small shoe box. After Mother's Day, Father's day or any holidays, buy a bunch of cards sometimes the are even 90 percent off. Store them in the box till next year. You will save money and always be prepared.(05/26/2005)

By Jessica

Saving Money on Greeting Cards

I buy greeting cards at the dollar store. These cards can be 'dressed up' with glitter, charms, ribbon, or any other scrapbooking embellishments you might have on hand. Be creative! Also, if you make your own cards and need envelopes - check with the employee who stocks the greeting cards. If you ask ahead of time, the employee may be able to save some envelopes for you that are left over after a holiday! (06/06/2005)

By Lee

Going Out of Business Sales

Be sure to shop stores that you know are going out of business. You can get items greatly reduced. This is usually when I pick up most of my all occasion greeting cards. This way, I don't have to pay full price for them. I also buy them at church bazaars (I bought a package of 10 cards and matching envelopes for .25 a pack!) Needless to say, I didn't just buy 1 package, I got several! I just can't stand paying nearly $3.00 a card in drug or grocery stores.(06/20/2005)

By Terri

Saving Money on Greeting Cards

When my husband and I first were married, money was really tight. We had money for necessities but no extras. So on special occasions like birthdays, we would go to the store together and pick out each other a card. We would then go on another isle and "exchange cards." I would read the one he picked for me and he would read the one I picked for him and then we would put them back. It may sound corny to some but I thought it was kinda romantic and sweet. (08/19/2005)

By Tracy

Saving Money on Greeting Cards

So many good ideas. I also make cards on the computer. I enjoy being able to personalize them with the recipient and giver's names. I figure I spend .11 per card/envelope when I do on the computer. (01/18/2006)

By Debbie52