Saving Money on Magazines

Category Tips
Full fare magazine subscriptions can be quite pricey. There are a variety of ways to save money on magazines. This is a guide about saving money on magazines.

It is that time of the year, and all my subscriptions are either due or will be due. Here is a suggestion that has helped me hopefully keep my bills down. I still love looking at magazines. I just cannot afford them any longer, until now. I now have four subscriptions to popular magazines and I did it on a budget. I just pay my subscription on a monthly basis. Now some companies will not let you do that, but I have found several that will send out the subscription while I am still paying the subscription off. I just check the box and ask the company to bill me.

Now for the ones that want their money up front, here is what I do. I send in the entire amount. Once the subscription is paid, I calculate what the subscription would have cost me monthly, and put that amount into a folder each month. When the subscription is due, I have the full amount without too much of a headache or strain.

You can also check into whether subscribing online with get you a better discount. I also sign up for their Facebook and Twitter pages to get more of a discount.

By jetruth from Waterloo, IA

I agree that reading magazines online is not the same as having it in my hands. I subscribe to magazines and get subscriptions for friends at bestdealsmagazines.com They are inexpensive and after you sign up, they frequently have discounts. I have used them for several years and have found them to be totally reliable. Note: AOL doesn't like that site for some reason, so I sign in at my Hotmail account.

I am addicted to magazines, but can't afford to buy them all. Now I do two things to feed my fix:

Then I donate all my old magazines to my gym, hospitals, and nursing homes.

By cipi2000 from Miami FL

I can usually find magazine content online too. Some magazines are online in full, like Reader's Digest.

If you're like me, you love the Parenting-type Magazines, but don't want to pay for them. If you're already paying for the internet, why not just "subscribe" to their online version instead, and save a bundle? Not to mention saving a bundle of trees :)

By AlaskanAurora from Dutch Harbor, AK

I still buy magazines and after I finish reading them, pass them on to a friend who gives them to a shut in and down the line. I watch for special offers and I just bought a leading ladies magazine for $5.00 for 1 year. For those that I do not subscribe to, and have an interest in, I read at the library every month or so.

In these times of trying to cut back on clutter or just be "green", I do not subscribe to any magazines any longer. I look at them for free at the library!

One of my splurges is subscriptions to several magazines. I only purchase subscriptions from discount sites, but it is vital to read the "fine print".

Do you love a magazine, but not the price of the subscription? Do you love to give magazine subscriptions for gifts, but can't afford it? Here's a GREAT tip. You can find many, many, many different magazine subscriptions at http://www.ebay.com

When I worked at the studios, etc, in the entertainment biz, they would have a circulation of the trade papers like Variety, rather than everyone getting their own subscription.

Like magazines? You purchase a subscription to a magazine, and have a friend purchase a subscription she likes. When each of you are done reading yours, you swap! Two subscriptions for the price of one!

Does anyone know of a web site where you can get magazine subscriptions for lower costs than what the magazine inserts offer?

By Kathryen from Northern VA

I was thinking the exact, same thing as the first poster (mercurymags and valuemags), as... all of the magazines they offer are totally FREE... and, that's the cheapest I've come across;) There are other freebie sites that will have links to offers for free subscriptions, as well. You just have to join a quality freebie site, and not one of the ones that offer a bunch of Step 2 offers, where you have to buy something in order to qualify for the freebie. If you're interested, free free to contact me off-group and I can assist you with that. Hope this helps=)

Teensfreeway.com has gold rewards on their site.(no it's not just for teens). I've been getting free magazines for a couple years now. Family Circle, Womans Day, Town & Country, Shape, etc etc all free.

Try here: http://www.maga  pricesearch.com/

I'd like to renew magazine subscriptions with a lower price. I've already checked the magazine websites and Amazon, but would like to try other sources. Does anyone know of a reputable magazine discounter?

By CS7 from Salem, OR

Answers:

Saving Money on Magazines

http://bestdealmagazines.com/ (03/01/2011)

By MCW

Saving Money on Magazines

Like MCW, I suggest bestdealmagazines.com. That's where I get most of my magazines. I just renewed my Woman's Day for another year at $4.69. They have daily deals and other specials if you sign up for their e-mails. (03/01/2011)

By kizzybear121

Saving Money on Magazines

I've had good luck with getting mag. subscriptions off eBay. But of course, you need to be careful and stick with sellers who have 100% positive feedback. So there is a risk sometimes as with anything else. (03/02/2011)

By Lynn from Calif.

Saving Money on Magazines

Best Deal Magazines is the most reliable discounter I have used. I only had one subscription problem and they solved it very well. I would highly recommend them. Their $4.69 subscriptions are legitimate. (03/02/2011)

By monica, Northeast, PA

Saving Money on Magazines

I agree that Best Deals Magazines are the best. Low prices, great service. For some reason, I have trouble receiving emails from Best Deals on my AOL email address.Therefore if you have another email address, I would suggest using it. After you sign up, they email discounts on the low everyday prices.17% off, etc. off most subscriptions. I've used this site for gift subscriptions for several years as well as for myself. (03/02/2011)

By Happy05

Saving Money on Magazines

I never buy from people who are saying they will make a donation to help a group like Special Olympics. The groups receive very little money, and you pay top top dollar to boot! When I got my magazine, I discovered I was getting a raw deal price wise. When I called the company saying I had found another deal for like half, the girl quickly said she could match the better offer. I had to wonder why that was not an option from the start.

Bottom line: buying magazines from groups, school kids, and others is always iffy. The young kids that get dropped off in your neighborhood every summer are bad news as well. Many times your check is magically altered, or you don't get the subscription period. Try your library, maybe go in with a neighbor to buy a magazine. Most magazines have a subscription card inside which usually is the best price. (03/03/2011)

By ELSABLUE

Saving Money on Magazines

My nieces and nephews used to sell them when they were in grade school. Maybe you could check with your local school district. (03/03/2011)

By Maryeileen

A good way to save money is to subscribe to magazines when they give you a good sales price. Some companies (Hearst Magazines) will give you a one year subscription for $5.00. I also buy magazines that my family or friends don't subscribe to, that way we can swap magazines when we are through reading them. You can get a lot of interesting ideas and good tips from them at very low cost. Happy reading!

By dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

Answers:

Saving Money on Magazines

My aunt and I like the same magaziness so I subscribe to 1 and get one free gift which I send to her and she does the same. That way we both get our 2 favorite mags. (04/13/2010)

By Glenn'sMom

Saving Money on Magazines

And yes, shopping around for the best deal on your subscription is highly recommended. My dad likes getting a certain weekly specialist newspaper. When his subscription ended he was sent a letter to resubscribe. I found him a better deal by going to the paper's website. I did this for my daughter's favorite Anime magazine as well. (04/13/2010)

By Suntydt

I have read many posts about what to do with the magazines one buys. You can scan what you want and donate the mags to a thrift store or senior center or keep the pages in folders and recycle the rest. Both are good ideas, but I found one that I like to share that will save you money, resources and space.

If you visit http://www.zinio.com, you will find over 50,000 in digital magazines. I get Woman's Day, and that means I have 49,999 to go!

You can not copy or save easily, but you can keep each magazine as a whole in a file that stays on your computer. They are cheaper and no trees lost their lives to them. I highly recommend this idea, and hope you at least check them out.

Enjoy!

By Poor But Proud from Yorktown, VA

Tips for finding cheap magazines. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Saving Money on Magazines

Check to see if your library has a magazine box, ours weeds out their old issue magazines and charges a dime each. Also people drop off their recently read magazines in the box for the library to sell as well. I just bought this years Nov. issue Good Housekeeping and Woman's Day for twenty cents! If your library doesn't do this maybe they could start. Sure beats checkout lane prices.
(12/02/2004)

By Melanie

Saving Money on Magazines

My husband had just a few frequent flier miles on an airline that he seldom flies. Every so often, they send out magazine offers that can be had in exchange for points. Since these points would probably expire before he ever built enought to cash in for a ticket, we traded some points for a few subscriptions...some 6 months, some 12 months. Even got a subscription to the Wall Street Journal for 9 months! Check the webpage that services the brand of flier miles that you have and there might be a similar offer listed there. (12/03/2004)

By Sparkydog

Saving Money on Magazines

There are some real bargains on eBay, just go to eBay and do a search for Magazine subscriptions. I usually get subscriptions for some of my friends as Christmas gifts. To give an example, one magazine that is currently on eBay is Outdoor Life Magazine 3 year Subscription 33 issues for $9.49(/b) And you can find many others.
(12/03/2004)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Saving Money on Magazines

I recycle magazines by bringing them to work or passing them on to friends with similar interests and they pass them on again. Try starting a group where you trade magazines. (12/12/2004)

By Susan

Magazine Subscriptions

If you have friends or relatives that like various magazines, have each one subscribe to a different magazine and pass them among yourselves. Later they can be donated to a senior center or hospitals. It sure saves on everyone ordering the same magazine and pitching it!

By Syd (12/15/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Saving Money on Magazines

To save money on magazine subscriptions, swap gift subscriptions with your friends. Gift subscriptions are often cheaper than the regular ones, and it's a great way to share! If you want to swap gift subscriptions to progressive or small press magazines, there is a mailing list set up to help you:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/progressiveswap

Hope this helps!(12/28/2004)

Shannon from Georgia

Thrift Stores

I love magazines and looking for new tips or travel destinations. I hit the thrift stores and find single magazines I like for .25 or a bundled group for a couple bucks. When I'm done looking thru the mags, I use them to make my own handmade paper for cards.

By S. Witham
(02/25/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Saving Money on Magazines

I use to buy boxlots full of Magazines for a dollar at Auctions. You get to see what you are buying. Also some Vendors at Flea Market have them, You can also find Magazines on the Net ,Some of them cost nothing,or you pay a subscription but you get to go back in their archives. Join Freecycle on the computer in your area. They are always giving Magazines away (02/25/2005)

By Mr. Thrifty

Saving Money on Magazines

Check out the website "discountmagazines.com. I found them to have the cheapest prices on a lot of different magazines. I usually get the magazines I would not subscribe to from the library. The ones that I get cheap enough by subscribing, I take to the library or hospital waiting rooms when I am finished with them. (02/25/2005)

By monica

Read Magazines at the Library

Make good use of your local library. Cancel magazine subscriptions and enjoy them for free at the library.
(03/18/2005)

By Cynthia

Saving Money on Magazines

I subscribe to several free newsletters and visit freebie sites. I subscribe to many hunting and fishing magazines for my husband, gaming and pc ,baby and family magazines for my kids, remedy and health as well as fashion magazines for myself, and each and every one of them is FREE! That's right I haven't paid for a magazine in about 2 years now. Some subscriptions are for 6 months, but most are 1-2 years! Hope that helps some of you! (03/18/2005)

By Jdd

Swapping Magazines

I save money on magazines by sharing with a neighbor. She orders one magazine subscription and I order one and we swap the mags after reading them. We agree to a week to 10 day time period from receipt to swap.

By Linda` (04/07/2005)

Saving Money on Magazines

http://www.bestdealmagazines.com

http://www.valuemags.com

Many are just shipping charges added, usually $4.69. (04/08/2005)

By Fran Marie

Free Magazine Subscription Site

This is a very comprehensive web site for free magazine subscriptions. Some of them go pretty fast, but keep checking back, and you may get the one you want!

http://www.all-freemagazines.com/
(04/19/2005)

By Las Vegas Angel

Magazine Subscriptions

Instead of subscribing to two magazines, my girlfriend and I each subscribe to one and then when we get together for lunch exchange magazines and share ideas.
(04/23/2005)

By Bobbie

Saving Money on Magazines

I was shopping at my favorite mega store (Meijer) a few weeks ago and was given a checkout coupon from a new magazine called Budget Living. I just had to call the 800 number and got a year of that magazine as well as my choice of FIVE other magazines for free. I already subscribe to a number of magazines, so I made a promise to myself to be sure to take them to waiting rooms as soon as I read them. There was NO CATCH, I didn't even pay shipping or anything. It's been fun. So try going to Budget Living's website. Good Luck (04/24/2005)

By AskLiz

Magazines

If your magazines are a one person read, find out if the library carries the ones you like and take some quiet time for yourself. Read them at the library for FREE.
(06/17/2005)

By Syd

Saving Money on Magazines

Yard sales are a great place to find magazines really cheap. Also at thrift stores. A pal said recently at their bank, they received a form for some free magazines, so look around your banking establishment. (06/17/2005)

By badwater

Saving Money on Magazines

ebay. seriously. (07/07/2005)

By claireb

Saving Money on Magazines

I just found this site and they have free magazines such as Maxim and Sports Illustrated. A good find!

http://www.allmags4free.com (02/04/2006)

By Thriftinator

Saving Money on Magazines

Digital magazines, some are free and some are not, save on paper! www.zinio.com (01/23/2009)

By soyzicks

Saving Money on Magazines

My library has a magazine swap area - borrow, take, drop one. Great way to save! (01/23/2009)

By DVG

Do you find yourself buying the same magazine at the newsstand or supermarket checkout line every month? Go ahead and subscribe to it. Most subscriptions save you at least 50% off the cover price. On the other hand, don't renew magazine subscriptions that you rarely find time to read.

By ThriftyFun

I found a great site for cheap magazines at bestdealmagazines.com. Some are only $4.69 for a year's subscription and some are more, but all are discounted. It's definitely worth checking out before subscribing through the magazine. You can also renew a subscription at these prices.