Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Sewing Machine Not Feeding Fabric

It is so frustrating when your sewing machine malfunctions. This is a guide about when sewing machine not feeding fabric.

January 31, 2017 Flag

I have a Singer Golden Touch and Sew 758. My fabric will not feed. There are no jam ups, it just sews in place.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may have to take out the bobbin assembly. You may also have a jam under the machine, and you will have to turn the machine over and remove the bottom cover to get a better look.

My neighbor believes it is the common lint build-up problem but I am not familiar with this machine so here are a couple of sites that may help you correct the problem:

the first is the manual (just in case you do not have yours):

https://www.man  And-Sew-758.html

This is a site for troubleshooting your machine:

http://www.tand  riesRepairS1.pdf

January 31, 2017 Flag

I have a vintage Fleetwood zig zag machine. It works great on straight stitch, but when on zig zag it won't feed the fabric.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is on an old Fleetwood Capri 33 sewing machine I only wish I knew where I could get a manual for it without having to pay a arm n leg for it

This is a Japanese made machine and these older models were some of the best ever made. I have a similar one and the finish is like glass  it is still beautiful.

I have located several site that have a "contact" link where you can ask a question and hopefully get an answer to your problem. But mainly, the links give information about buying manuals so you may still be able to find one. Most of these machines are compatible with another brand/make so you may be able to get that info from one of these sites. Be very sure to ask questions (email) before buying one of the "unseen" manuals.

http://manualso  ruction-manuals/

http://www.slid  ingmachinemanual

http://www.sewi  ls.com/index.htm

This link is for another Fleetwood model but it has so much information that I have included it just in case you were interested.

http://www.sewi  -machine-review/

January 28, 2017 Flag

The material will feed through under the foot if on a zig zag stitch, but will not on a straight stitch. I have cleaned and changed the needle. Any ideas? Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is something stuck in the path of the straight stitch. The zig zag stitch is going to the left and right of the jammed area. You have to turn the machine over and remove the bottom to get a better look.

thank you I will try that

February 4, 2017 Flag

My machine sews a scrap OK, but the valance I'm working on in the same material, same thickness sits and sews in one spot. It will not feed material along.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make sure the valance is not hanging off the sewing table. The weight of it may cause the machine not to feed.

September 4, 2016 Flag

I have a Bernette 715, and I have been having an issue with the feed dogs lately. When I am in the middle of a seam, the feed dogs will drop. I can pop them back up and continue, but it will do the same thing again just a couple of stitches later.

I cleaned out the inside of the machine, but the problem persists. I included a few photos of the machine and the feed dog lever. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm having the exact same problem since May 2016. I think it may be something with the spring on the feed dog, but haven't been successful fixing it yet. I can't see anything else that could be causing it to disengage. The machine has been retired until I can afford to get it fixed. If there's something a nonprofessional can do to fix it, I'd love to know too.

My material will not feed on my machine

August 15, 2016 Flag

I have a Juki Misin Handy sewing machine. The problem with my sewing machine is that if the textile that I will be sewing is silk and slippery for some reason the fabric won't feed through the machine. It just stays stationary causing a giant knot to form. Are there any solutions or suggestions for my problems? And I would like to ask if the feed dogs on a sewing machine can be changed? I hope to hear from you. Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try tightening or loosening the foot tension, as this is a common problem with silk. You can also use a tear-away fabric like they use in embroidery.

http://www.joan  6C6-9281E65952F3

You could also get a teflon foot which is good for slippery fabrics

December 29, 2015 Flag

The sewing machine is not feeding the fabric. It's not the feed dogs, as I've checked, cleaned, and oiled them. Maybe the reverse lever stuck, but I'm not too sure since the feed dogs still move back and forth when I press the reverse lever. A spring has broken off though. I am not sure where its supposed to be.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

time for some professional help or you can try and find a manual for your machine online(especially if it is not new). If it is, I would try to contact the manufacturer concerning the spring(chances are the missing spring may have something to do with your fabric.

Lots of info on the internet. Thread tension may be too tight.

April 14, 2016 Flag

I have a Brother XR3140 sewing machine and when I first bought it, it worked great. I've only had it for a few months and it's not working anymore. For some reason the fabric won't feed through the machine, it just stays stationary causing a giant knot to form. I have to yank the fabric through the machine and then the stitching comes out sloppy and not even sewn into the fabric all the way. What is wrong with my sewing machine?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you checked the setting for your feed dogs? Also check the stitch width and length are set properly for the stitch you want to make.

Here's a link to the Brother website free user manual download - use it to find the 'troubleshooting' pages to see what the manufacturer has identified as common issues and how to resolve them:

http://www.brot  339001_50403.pdf

I have zuki 27z not working on sentic material

February 13, 2015 Flag

This is for a class I'm doing. If your feed dogs are not working can you still use your sewing machine?

By Jozelyn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For the most part the answer is no. Some types of sewing machine function (darning, quilting, thick fabrics, thread painting-embroidery) need the feed dogs down, but for the most part, sewing a seam requires functioning feed dogs to move the fabric through the machine at the right timing to create a proper lock-stitch.

If you have a machine with feed dogs 'stuck' down, look for a switch, dial, lever, knob, or computer setting to get them back up.

If that doesn't work, or the feed dogs are stuck in the up position but aren't moving, the machine needs a visit to the qualified repair tech for servicing. The problem could be something as simple as a piece of thread or lint caught in the feed dogs, or something very serious - and the only person who can fix it is a qualified repair tech.

My mom has a Brother Lx2500 sewing machine and it's not feeding fabric. We cleaned out the lint and still nothing. Hoping someone can help.

First, here's a link to the user manual from the Brother website:

http://download  2500ug01enes.pdf

According to your manual, your machine doesn't have a feed dog drop - to darn, sew on buttons, do some satin stitching embroidery, you have to apply the darning plate over the feed dogs.

Assuming you haven't got that covering plate on, the only three things I can think of to cause the feed dogs to malfunction would be the need to return it to sewing mode after winding a bobbin, ensuring the stitch length and width settings are correct, or (gulp) a broken gear. The machine is a fairly new model, first in production in 2011, so it's not likely you have a broken part - but it is possible if the machine has been asked to sew too thick a fabric, or if fabrics have been pulled forcefully through the feed dogs.

Check to be sure the machine has been set back to sewing mode from bobbin winding mode, and go through the manual to be sure you're setting all of the stitch settings correctly.

If none of the that solves your issue, it's time for a visit to the repair tech.

Put a bit of sewing machine oil on mine! It worked! 

August 25, 2016 Flag

I have not used my Janome 419S sewing machine for quite some time. I tried to use the machine today and the fabric does not feed through. I checked through the troubleshooting guide, went through all ideas, and it is still not working. Anyone any ideas of the problem?

Thanks in advance.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have my mother's old Viking and the feed teeth won't come up. I can't sew because the material won't advance. My daughter, to whom I am giving the machine, moved some buttons or knobs and now it won't work, and I don't have a manual to figure this issue out. Also, do you know where I could get a PDF manual for this machine? It's a Viking 6000.

By boocat

Try a search engine run for the manual using the term 'Viking 6000 manual', something should come up.

As for your problems - this is a vintage machine and requires servicing from a qualified Viking repair tech. The problems you're describing have several causes and the tech will be able to open the machine using the correct tools, fix the problem(s) and put the machine back together correctly.

Not sure where you are so I'm not going to try to guesstimate the cost but here in the UK it would run around £100 and would include solving the problem (might be that some worn parts want replacing) plus a thorough cleaning, oiling, and checking over.

hi... i have same problem with my sewing machine. its a butterfly product .the teeth won't come up and as a result it won't feed. please what part of the machine should I tighten a little more.

January 15, 2015 Flag

The feed dogs on my sewing machine only go up and down, they do not make the forward-backward motion, thereby not feeding the fabric through. Any suggestions?

By S. S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Had the same problem. Removed the foot. Popped the plate off. Cleaned out thread and lint from behind the bobbin holder. Then I realized I had set my stitch length to Zero. Works great now.

July 3, 2014 Flag

The feed dogs are working fine, but the project I'm working on won't feed through while sewing. The project is a little thick, but no thicker than the hem on a pair of jeans. I have tried sewing with the presser foot down as well as up to see if that would help, and the feeding teeth still won't pull the project through. I have a Brother LX-3125.

By srvalk

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may need to adjust the feed dog tension - consult your owner's manual for step-by-step instructions to do this.

If your machine isn't equipped with adjustable feed dogs, you may need to try a specialty presser foot. The right one will depend on the type of fabric - if a 'shiny' fabric you may need a roller or teflon foot (two different types that do the same work but are used on slightly different types of fabric).

For thick cotton/blends or if trying to use a thick plush or fleece, a walking foot will usually work well to keep the fabric feeding through the machine.

Specialty feet meet the needs of different fabrics to work with the feed dogs to move the fabric through the needle smoothly and evenly. You can usually find them in the notions section of most sewing centres, or online - I get a lot of mine at AmazonUK but the same specialty feet are available (usually) from most online sewing supply shops or directly from the machine maker (for best compatibility).

December 1, 2012 Flag

I have a 1976 Sears Kenmore sewing machine. It has always worked great! I have recently been having a problem with the fabric feeding. I will be sewing for a considerable amount of time and all of a sudden it will stop feeding the fabric as I am sewing. There are no signs of other problems. The sewing machine is clean and free of lint. The feed dog is up, so that is not the issue either.

If the machine sits for awhile it usually will work as normal. Could it be the belt overheating or something like that? Or would it be wearing out? The machine itself does not seem hot however.

By Brenda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You really need to take it to a repairman. You can find a certified Kenmore service tech on their service and parts pages at sears.com or you can look for a sewing centre close to you (that would be my preference, their techs can fix anything from a vintage treadle to a modern computerised model and they usually cost a lot less than the Sears techs).

Until I read the part of your post that the feed dogs are up, I was hoping it was the old 'feed dogs dropping mid-seam' problem common to vintage machines, the part controlling the feed dogs wears out, and the dogs drop in the middle of a stitching session. It's fairly easy to fix if you are at all mechanical.

However, yours are still up, so what is most likely is that the feed dog gear has worn-out. Since this is a fiddly gear to replace (doing it wrong throws out the machine timing which in turn causes an even more expensive repair), it's best to have a trained tech do the work and source the part for you.

Good luck, I hope you are not needing your machine to finish Christmas gifts! Please update and let us know what it turned out to be!

I had, until had 6 months ago a 1970 Singer. Never had the problem you are having, but try taking your machine screwdriver and lifting and removing the plate. Check for trapped lint and possibly try an emery board to sharpen the teeth. I used to turn mine over also. I was always amazed at what was trapped on the underside. At times a little machine oil or 3 in one oil would solve all types of problems (wish I had my old Singer back).

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesJune 4, 2013
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 8:06:01 PM on 10.0.2.220 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.