Spider Photos

Category Wildlife
These arachnid garden helpers are very interesting and create beautiful snares for catching their food. This page contains spider photos.

What type of spider was that on the blackeyed susan, it was the very first picture at the top of the guide? I had three very large ones. I was told they were brown recluse, because of the violin pattern on the back. The only difference between your picture and the ones I saw was the color, they were lighter, more of a beige with dark brown violin on the back. They were at least 3 to 4 inches in size. Please help I can't seem to find them on the internet.

By Linda from North central PA

Everything that I have read about the brown recluse indicates that they are very small. I don't think the one on the sunflower is a recluse, but I would suggest contacting your local university for their entomology department. You can usually reach them online and I have found that everyone is so good at helping.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

This "beautiful" specimen was hanging outside our living room window. This is as close as I wanted to get! I had never seen this type of web either, the zigzag pattern.

By Leslie

Comment Like this photo? 16

Great pic! I love looking at the different types of webs that spiders make, Spider silk is the strongest thread in the world. This includes man made materials. Just a little trivia.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

This banana spider has been on our back deck for about two weeks now. He is absolutely beautiful with his brilliant colors. I have been photographing him at different times during the day since we found him. We noticed that he makes a new web every other day.

By lovingnature from TN

Comment Like this photo? 6

Excuse me but aren't these lil guys deadly? Any spider I see here in tn is gonna be a dead one. Don't do spiders!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Spider and Web

I was leaving my apartment to go to the market and the sun was hitting this spider web just right to be able to notice it outside of my neighbors apartment. I just had to go back inside and fetch my camera!

Crab Spider

What the well-dressed crab spider is wearing this season in Amy's Garden. This striking black and white pokadot ensemble can be dressed up or dressed down depending on your Holiday event.

Banana Spider (Marysville, TN)

I captured these photos of one of the Banana Spiders in our tomato bed. This is also known as a zipper spider because of the zipper like pattern in the middle of its web.

nighttime photo of spider in its web

I went out on my patio to look around and found this beautiful web complete with the spider who created it. I was surprised how well the web reflected in this flash photo. I love catching moments like this!

Daddy Longlegs and Flower

I have an illness that puts me through a lot of pain on a daily basis, so I use my gardening and pictures as therapy. I couldn't believe it when I saw this granddaddy longlegs on my favorite flowers. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

male black widow spider under a flowerpot

I took some photos of a beautifully marked male black widow. The females are the ones which are venomous--actually more venomous than a rattlesnake. This one is enjoying the day, hiding under an overturned pot.

Banana Spider

A Banana spider spun a web on the side of my house. It stayed there for several weeks.

Close up of Spider on Web

We were supposed to be rushing off to town for the day's errands and meetings when my husband willingly pointed out this spider hanging out in the bushes near our home and garden. He was so beautiful that I couldn't help but take time out of our busy schedule to photograph him.

Fishing Spider

A "fishing spider" I came across yesterday. It was quite large, it is on a 4 inch pole for size reference. Talk about nightmares!

Black Widow Spider

I work for a city utility company, and this spider was in a water meter can.

Spider on brown flower

I took this photo while trying out my new camera last spring. I wanted to see how good the images come out close up. So I was literally only the width of the camera and maybe another inch away.

Spider Feast

I found this spider wrapping up a rather large, recently captured beetle. I think it will be eating well for a while.

Daddy long legs on tomato plant.

Granddaddy long leg spider on tomato plant.

Photo through the windoe of a large spider and a magpie below.

This is what awaited me when I opened the curtains one morning. The screen is blurring the picture, but you can see the size of the spider (about the size of my hand) compared to our friendly magpie who was sitting about a foot from the window.

I found tons of spiders on the Hennepin Bridge in Minneapolis, MN and found it amazing the way they looked when I took a photo of them :)

By Karen

Wildlife: Spider

Wildlife: Spider

Answers:

Wildlife: Spider

I hope that for all the people who take and share photographs, that you remember some of us are not spider people. That means we range from going Ewww to having a serious reaction to them. Please keep this in mind. I personally think they are ugly, and they make me want to faint so just keep that in mind, please!

We don't all read the headings from the top of each photo and just think we are going to enjoy nice sunsets or pictures of people walking on the beach or kids laughing, then we are suddenly hit with a giant spider in our faces. Whatever possesses people to think of taking a photo of them is beyond me anyway.

One good thing came out of this however, and that is I will read the headings from now on as a warning.

(09/13/2010)

By Arachnophobic Poor But Proud

Wildlife: Spider

I personally find your photos absolutely beautiful. I think your photos are in good taste, and thank you for sharing them! (09/14/2010)

By Jilson

Wildlife: Creepy Spider and Web

I was in my back yard cleaning up, when I nearly bumped into this very efficient looking spider web complete with the actual spider in waiting. I was startled for a second, I suppose he was too. I recovered quickly and grabbed my camera.

By Lauren from Topeka, Kansas

Answers:

Wildlife: Creepy Spider and Web

Happy that you didn't kill it! A lot of people would have freaked out and grabbed a broom or something to smash it with. Spiders have a purpose too. Neat photo! (10/28/2009)

By peej

Wildlife: Creepy Spider and Web

Ewwww! Scary! I hate spiders - what a good photo though! (10/28/2009)

By wdyjsu

Wildlife: Creepy Spider and Web

Creepy yes, but also cool! What a neat picture! I will have to admit that I am afraid of spiders, but as long as they
don't bother me, I won't bother them. LOL (10/28/2009)

By sameoleme

Wildlife: Creepy Spider and Web

My question is, What kind of spider is it? Is it poisonous to us? The web is different from most spiders. (10/29/2009)

By jackie

Wildlife: Creepy Spider and Web

Yes! This is a very poisonous spider. if you look and see how his fangs curl near the end. It means it is a Hobo Spider. Its bite will cause a fever and the skin to die around the bite. In severe cases, you can lose a limb. (02/08/2010)

By lou28