Static Electricity Shock


I would appreciate any ideas regarding this; My co-workers and I always get shocked at the office. Every time we touch a file cabinet or a metal door frame - we see sparks fly. I guess it's only static electricity, but does anyone know of a way to stop it? We're all pretty tired of getting shocked every time we touch a metal object at work.
Ad

Answers:

Static Electricity Shock

Dilute fabric softener and spray the carpet in your office. The time between applications depends on humidity, traffic, etc. (01/09/2001)

By lelbel

Static Electricity Shock

Use a vaporizer, or any means to get moisture in the rooms. I boil water on the stove & if I have unwanted smells I add a little vinegar (01/09/2001)

By gold89wing

Static Electricity Shock

I work in an office and also had a horrible time with this. The simple trick is: touch wood before you touch any metal (like your desk). It's amazing but it works. The mail room personnel told me and I have not had a problem since. Mimi - Katy, Texas (01/10/2001)

Static Electricity Shock

At an office I used to work in, we kept a large crock pot full of water on low all day and this seemed to take away the static electricity. Worked like a charm! (01/25/2001)

By kshrum

Static Electricity Shock

Lelbel's tip works great. I read it elsewhere a while back and tried it out at my old job (a computer job, so static electricity is really a bad thing!). If I recall correctly, I used 1 part fabric softener to two parts water (maybe even more water) in a plastic gardening spray bottle. It costs pennies and lasts a long time. It also works great in your car if, like me, you get a huge jolt every time you get out of the car! (12/03/2006)

By glandix

Static Electricity Shock

I do too! I noticed when I walk around barefoot in my socks it doesn't happen. I am trying to find slippers to wear at work without rubber on them. I think it is the rubber sole that does it along with the carpet. (09/14/2007)

Ad

By Barb

Static Electricity Shock

You can buy wrist bands that ground the static electricity. Spraying fabric softener is not really a realistic option if you walk around everywhere. (10/01/2007)

By Graeme

Static Electricity Shock

The wood tip is great. I too have been getting shocked at my new office job that has carpeting throughout and many computers. A vaporizer wouldn't be that great around computers, so I will be sure to try the wood trick.
(02/20/2008)

By Amy

Static Electricity Shock

Try putting a humidifier in the office. This will eliminate the dryness in the room. Give it a few days to begin working. (04/20/2008)

By RICH

Static Electricity Shock

I have noticed as my hormones deplete, static shocks increase. I also know that if a building is not grounded well, everyone inside will get shocked every time they touch metal. Such a case was discovered in Whitehall Ohio at a Kroger store (09/11/2008)

By Prime

Static Electricity Shock

I hate getting shocked, but I figured out a solution. Put butter on your hands so the static would detract itself from shocking you. It may sound ridiculous but it works, trust me.
(09/22/2008)

By Poofy

Static Electricity Shock

The only way I've been able to deal with shock is by touching everything with my knuckles, it hurts less but still there's a good shock going on. I went to kiss my son on the forehead and got shocked on the lips so it doesn't apply to everything. We don't even have carpet in our house so it mystifies me...and cars...don't get me started there. (12/18/2008)

By Joy

Static Electricity Shock

I recently noticed that a new computer I was building was getting shocked upon touching the metal start button. I unplugged things one at a time to check all wiring until there was nothing left at which time I unplugged the machine. It turned out that every time I sat in a particular chair purchased at SAMs Club the shock occurs. I was working at an office were they again had a computer shock problem and noticed the chair was the same. Replaced the chair- no more problem, but not before she lost an entire data base. I'm guessing certain chair fabrics are more vulnerable than others. Good luck. (12/20/2008)

By Doug

Static Electricity Shock

Take a metal object, like a key, and touch it to the metal object (file cabinet). The key is a different type of metal, so you won't get shocked by touching it. The charge will be depleted and you won't feel the shock. You'll hear it though! (01/11/2009)

By Ryan

Static Electricity Shock

A few months ago we got new carpet in the living room and two new microfiber recliners. My husband is constantly getting shocked when he touches anyone or anything. I sit in the chairs, walk on the carpet, and do everything he does, yet seldom get shocked. He even got shocked in a Wal-Mart over 200 miles away when there was no carpet or microfiber chairs. This doesn't appear to be related to shoes he's wearing. Any help appreciated. (01/24/2009)

By Pat

Comments

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related
In This Article
Static Electricity
Preventing Static Electricity
Next >︎
Categories
March 31, 2009
Guides
Microfiber couch with pillows
Reducing Static Electricity From Microfiber Furniture
Closeup of HDMI Cable
Saving Money on HDMI Cables
Remedies for Static Hair
Remedies for Static Hair
Saving Money on a TV
Saving Money on a TV
More
🎉
New Years Ideas!
🎄
Christmas Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 5, 2016 at 5:29:34 AM on 10.0.0.69 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!