Stretching Shoes and Boots

Sometimes to make footware more comfortable, you need to make them bigger. This guide is about stretching shoes and boots.

August 23, 2012 Flag

I have really big muscular calves and wide feet (thanks, Mum!), making it very hard for me to fit into shoes I fancy. I bought these suede boots and pumps online because they were dirt cheap and super cute. When they arrived, not surprisingly, I could not fit into them.

I was able to stretch them with this solution:
Mix 3 parts water to 1 part isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Dampen a clean rag or cotton ball with the mixture and generously rub on the inside of your boot or shoe. Try them on again, slowly they will stretch out. Leave them on for a bit. You may have to do this process one more time. Ta-da! Happy feet!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Thank you! Do a search on "Bandit Knee High Boots" - that's what they are called. I got them for $15 :)

What were your boots made of? I just bought two pair of MIA boots and they only sip up about half way. I don't want to ruin them with the chance of maybe returning them. Do you think this would work?

It really works!! Thanks for the tip 

January 8, 2016 Flag

Put very hot water from your sink or tub tap into your boots. Let sit until you feel that you can place your foot in the boot without burning your foot. Wear the boot as much as possible. I usually have to do this procedure several times, but this works on all but rubber/plastic type footwear.

February 20, 2014 Flag

I have bought an expensive pair of boots online, but they only zip 3/4 of the way up. The lace up has a tongue that is attached to the boot. I am afraid to ruin them with water or rubbing alcohol. I have considered saddle soap, but the inside lining of the boots is a linen cloth material that is somewhat rough to touch. I do not want to return them.

By Mindy

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Find a shoemaker that can sew on leather. they can sometimes put a gusset (leather insert) into the seam to make more room for your calves. Saddle shops may have these people. Also motorcycle cops know where they are, as they have their boots adjusted. It can be expensive work.

Best Answer

If they were expensive, it may be worth paying a bit extra to get them professionally stretched by a shoemender. At least a craftsman is likely to be honest with you if s/he thinks it can't be done.

I do not think that there is any way to stretch these. I would return them.

March 26, 2010 Flag

I saw that some time ago, someone requested a way to stretch shoes. Bunch up newspapers, wet it, and stuff it in your shoes. The key is to make sure there is enough newspaper in each.

August 27, 2012 Flag

If you have shoes that are uncomfortable, spray the uncomfortable area of the shoes inside and out with bath spray (also called body splash and body spray), then wear the shoes until they are dry. Repeat if needed.

October 20, 2014 Flag

I wrapped my calf with two long ace bandages. Then I warmed my boots with a hair dryer. Get the leather of the boot very warm but not hot. Put the boot on and force it to zip. Wear for about an hour and heat again with hair dryer.

April 25, 2015 Flag

What is a good way to stretch shoes?

If shoes are tight, get a bottle of body spray from the dollar store, and saturate the area of the shoe that is tight inside and out, then wear the shoes until they are dry. Repeat if needed. This works on smooth leather and fake leather shoes. It also works on suede shoes, but may change the color or texture. You can also use alcohol, but the bath spray smells better. I have a hammer toe on one foot, and this works well for me. I spray the area over the toe, and shoes don't rub on it. Hope this is helpful to you.

Put a bread bag inside the shoe, push it up into the toes and heel, then put the excess bag over the edges of the shoe. Fill the bag with water and put into the freezer for 24 hours. This should stretch the shoes enough to be wearable. I have done this and it does work.

December 17, 2008 Flag

I am looking to stretch a pair of ankle boots that I have. Instead of buying an expensive stretch spray, does anyone know of a homemade solution?

Marie from FL

In the army they would stand in a pail of water, with boots on. They would wear untill dry, perfect fit.I know this sounds bad but,my boyfriend said it was the only way.Their boot where new, stiff and hard.

Put the shoes on and spray them down with water and wear them until they are dry. They will fit much better, I once had a pair of shoes I could only wear little while. I chased my 2 yr old son in damp grass and then just wiped the shoes off and kept going. The next time they never hurt my feet.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I just have a question though.....will the water harm my leather boots?

January 25, 2011 Flag

Have a new pair of shoes that's just a tad too tight or uncomfortable? Try wearing them with socks a little while each day. I had a cute pair that I loved, but knew they weren't more than 'fifteen minute' shoes.

October 22, 2013 Flag

I have purchased leather clogs on line from a manufacturer whose product I have worn for years. The medium is a bit too narrow and I know the wide would not work. I am not having much luck stretching them using all the suggested methods, stretching spray, heat, wooden stretcher, and socks! Help.

By Nonnie

Soak a pair of cotton socks in rubbing alcohol. Wear the wet socks, while wearing your shoes. Wear the socks and shoes, until the socks are dry! This should stretch your shoes!

May 25, 2011 Flag

I purchased a pair of Dawgs rubber clogs, size 10 regular. Size 10W is too wide, but regular is a little too tight. Anyone know of a way to stretch the width on these a little?

By Gayle from Rochester, NY

Rubber is difficult to stretch permanently-you could take the shoes to a shoe repair store and ask what can be done. I've had some very good results from my favorite shoe repair person who helps me with shoe modifications for my old ballet feet. For a less aggressive approach: If you wear socks with them, try wearing two pair or thicker and much thicker socks.

Put plastic bags inside the shoes, fill the bags with water and then freeze the whole thing, this seems to stretch the shoes enough to wear.

October 4, 2012 Flag

I have extra large wooden shoe trees, but wonder if soaking the leather shoes (in water?) before using the shoe trees might work? Or does someone have a better idea that worked?

Consumer Advice Clothing RepairingAugust 26, 2012
work boots
Removing Diesel Fuel from Shoes and Boots
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
🎄