Sulfur Mosquito Repellent

Category Mosquitoes
Close-up of mosquito on human skin
This is a guide about sulfur mosquito repellent. Sulfur powder from a pharmacy may deter mosquitos from biting.

I just read about sulfur and mosquito bites. I want to know how often do you do this with the honey or even match stick tops? Every day, once a week, how long before? I have a lot of mosquitoes in my yard and hate to stay in. I want to sit on the swing, enjoy working in my yard, but have tried everything. Help.

Kim

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

I purchase sulphur powder at my pharmacy. It should be behind the counter, if not, your pharmacist can order it for you. It is very inexpensive. I pour it into a tube sock, using a funnel to avoid spills. Fill the sock about 1/3-1/2 of the way up with the powder. Tie a knot on the top of the sock to close it. Hold the sock by the knot and beat it around your ankles and lower leg area. Store it in a ziplock bag. It should keep mosquitoes and chiggers away! Good luck!

I am still trying to find out what type of sulfur to use for mosquitos and how often to use it. The pharmacy in our area does not carry any. I would like to order online. Thank you in advance.

How are you wanting to use the sulfur? I have never heard of it repelling mosquitoes, although it is in fireworks, which do seem to repel them. It comes in a powder form. I am surprised your pharmacy doesn't carry it, we carry it where I work in with the first aid supplies. Farm stores also carry it as it is often used with some plants, such as blueberries.

I was wondering if anyone has a recipe using sulfur, honey, and lemon juice. You take by the mouth to keep mosquitoes, red bugs, etc. from biting you. My husband's mom used this recipe, but I can't find mine. Any help would be appreciated.

Sissy from Mangham, LA

Answers:

Sulfur Mosquito Repellent

Simply cutting off the match heads and swallowing 3-6 it prevents mosquito bites and other insects. Ive been doing this for years. My dad taught me this trick as a kid. I swear by it.

Editor's Note: I'd never heard this one before. I checked and people do take sulfur pills and use sulfur powder in their shoes to prevent mosquito bites and chigger bites. (10/02/2008)

By James

Sulfur Mosquito Repellent

This is an update on my original request. I managed to talk my mother-in-law out of the recipe. So here it is:

• 2 tsp. sulfur (found in pharmacy section at Wal-mart)
  • 1 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 1 pt. honey

You mix all of the ingredients. Store in a pint jar. Take one tsp. everyday for 2 weeks. My husband really believes in this stuff. He has taken it for years and now he gives it to our kids. Keeps off red bugs, ticks, mosquitoes, etc. Hope this helps everybody. (10/22/2008)

By leonardsissy