Mosquito Repellent Recipes

Category Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes are a problem in many regions. This page contains mosquito repellent recipes.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

A safe mosquito repellant is 2 ounces of water and 2 ounces of pure vanilla extract. Put in a spray bottle. They "hate" the smell. Make sure you use pure vanilla extract and not imitation vanilla extract.

• 2 fl oz water
  • 2 fl oz pure vanilla extract

Directions:

• Mix water and vanilla extract in a spray bottle.
  • Comment Was this helpful? 6

Use equal amounts of pure vanilla and water in a squirt bottle. Works great for children too!

By Holly Haynes

This is a guide about sulfur mosquito repellent. Sulfur powder from a pharmacy may deter mosquitos from biting.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about natural mosquito repellent recipes. Rather than use chemical based commercial insect repellent products try making your own natural ones.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone know of a mosquito repellent that consists of beer, Listerine and Epsom salt?

By maria from San Antonio, TX

Answers

You wouldn't really spray yourself with something that left you smelling like Listerine and beer, would you? Homemade remedies are not very effective.

If you don't want to use a product containing Deet (which does work) on your skin, wear long sleeves and long pants. Off has a lamp and the coils which work pretty well, as does the Thermocell.

That sounds like a Jerry Baker concoction! It's probably in one of his books, which you might find at the public library. I'm sure you meant a mosquito repellent for the house or patio, not for your skin. For your skin, some people say Avon's Skin-So-Soft works. I don't like the scent, so I use their spray with the Picaridin in it. There's also good old-fashioned citronella oil. This summer I put a lavender scented body splash on before I went to a barbecue, and all the bugs let me alone, even though they bothered people sitting right near me!

louel53 has obviously never tried a home remedy, and he can pollute his body with harmful chemicals like Deet all he wants, but I use essential oils to repel ticks and mosquitos. Lemon euculyptus, lemongrass, and geranium in a carier oil works great. deet doesn't even work well. It has to cover every part of your skin. A mosquito will bite right next to skin covered in Deet!

I have used this for a while and it works. Use a dryer sheet and rub it on parts that are not covered with clothes.

Not only do you keep the bugs off you, you smell good too.

Anonymous

Or you can make your own repellant with ingredients you probably already have at home.

Mix 1/3 each of Epsom salt, mouthwash, and beer, and put it in a spray bottle.

Another option is to puree garlic and mix in a spray bottle with water.

The mouthwash and beer concoction worked best for our tester.

Anonymous

yes use 1/3 rd of each mix it an spray it around you'll be amazed how the bugs stay away...works good

gt

Yes ! 1Big blue bottle of cheap mouth wash ,3 cans of stale beer and 3cups epsom salt and mix !!

Pour in spray bottle and apply to yard ur garden ur porch or deck !!!

Anonymous

1 large bottle of blue Listerine
    3 Cups Epsom salt
    36 ounces of stale cheap beer
    Mix until salt is dissolved put in sprayer and spray where the mosquitoes are
    Says will last up to 80 days

Just made a large jug of spray. 1large bottle of blue mouthwash, 3 cups Epsom Salts, 3 cans beer. Mix well pour into spray bottle. Spray everywhere

Which are the best mosquito repellent wristbands in the market?

By maddie from Warner Robins, GA

Answers

I have not seen any good comments about them as a whole. I have a misquito plant, get them every year.

Carry a sprig of that, rub it on you rather than sprays, citronella oil is what it is. You have to get the citronella plant, not just any scented 'mosquito plant."

Has anyone tried the mosquito repellent you wear around your waist? The mosquitoes here are terrible and I'm tempted. It's a small unit they're selling for $8.99 at the grocery store with a replaceable repellent. I'm skeptical about whether it would keep mosquitoes from biting your ankles! Let me know if you have experience with it.

By Liz from MD

Answers:

Mosquito Repellent Wrist Band

We use Bounce dryer sheets. Place one sticking out of your pockets and one out the back of your collar or top of socks, it seems to work great for us! (06/16/2009)

By Chuck

Mosquito Repellent Wrist Band

I did just read a report that they were a waste of money. We were told about the use of regular Listerine, keep some in a small sprayer, and spray on hems of clothing, also on wrists, ankles, etc. So far it has proved better than any of the spray chemicals, and we are not even going to try the expensive "new" stuff. (06/17/2009)

By Loretta

Mosquito Repellent Wrist Band

We use the patch "Don't Bite Me". They can be ordered from dontbitemepatch.com. My husband wears it every time he gardens. It is good for a long time. He only changes it every few days. No smell, no mess. Hope this helps. (06/17/2009)

By Rita Murray

RE: Mosquito Repellent Wrist Band

Mosquito Repellent Wrist Band

Yes, I have tried it and it really works. I walk at our state park in the evenings and the mosquitoes there are thick. I've been wearing one for about 2 weeks and have not had a single bite and they usually love me more than anyone else around. Go for it, its worth it. (06/23/2009)

By Sharon Bingham

Mosquito Repellent Wrist Band

I would use amber colored Listerine first, and it is also a great antibacterial spray and surface cleaner, as you can see I am a great fan of Listerine for its many uses. Mosquitoes seem to hate it. I would not believe that the mosquitoes around here would even think twice about a wrist band. They are kind of voracious!

Blessings, Robyn (04/15/2010)

By Robyn Fed

To make mosquito repellent mix 3 cups rubbing alcohol, 1 1/2 cups red cedar wood shavings, and 1/2 cup eucalyptus leaves. Cover and let the mixture stand 5 days. Strain the liquid and store tightly sealed and labeled. Yields 2 cups. Put this mixture in a spray bottle to use.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

Answers:

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

For about 6 years we have used a product called "mosquito barrier" found at this website: http://www.mosquitobarrier.com.

It works great and is organic, mainly garlic. The yard will smell like an Italian restaurant for a day, but it keeps the mosquitoes away. (09/03/2010)

By Allison

Recipe to keep away mosquitoes? Maybe plants or some kind of home remedy? Thanks for any information.

Tammy from Florida

Answers:

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

Everywhere I ever lived we were cursed with mosquitoes, black flies etc. But then we moved again and it wasn't very long when we realized, we never ever had so much as one fly of any kind. Come to find out why, Salt water. Was the best 6 years ever, sure miss that salt water air now. But obviously they must not like salt water. (05/03/2008)

By Martha

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

I can vouch for the post by Marty that Vanilla extract (used on your pulse points) is a good way to repel mosquitoes. You do have to reapply (though I've had mine on for hours because of little to no perspiring). I have used imitation before with good results. (05/04/2008)

By Kelly

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

I read that amber colored Listerine sprayed outside in the area where you are sitting, will keep mosquitoes away up to two days. I haven't had any mosquitoes to try it on yet, but it is sitting in a spray bottle on my deck,ready to go. This information was sent to me in an email, I don't know where they got the information. (05/05/2008)

By rae

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

I found this one while researching recipes for cleaning products, I'll be trying it this weekend!

Mosquito Deterrent recipe
    Submitted to Recipe Goldmine by Barbara Louise - Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Source: a gardening forum

Put some water in a white dinner plate and add just a couple of drops of Lemon Fresh Joy dish washing soap. Set the dish on a porch or patio. Not sure what attracts them, the lemon smell, the white color, or what, but mosquitoes flock to it, and drop dead, or fall into the water, or on the floor within about 10 feet. Works just super!
    (05/06/2008)

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

Listerine is a great mosquito repellent. Spray it around outside where you'll be sitting (about 15-30 min prior).
    Also rub on skin, it really works. (05/08/2008)

By terry

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

Try Neem Oil. It's organic and it works. (05/08/2008)

By Sherry

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

Don't eat bananas during mosquito season. Mosquitoes love banana flavored skin. (06/01/2008)

By Sandee

Garlic pills

Hi, I heard about garlic pills and tried them this year. The first time I went out, I got 4 bites. It does not work for me. (06/01/2008)

By Jim

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

(submitted via email)

I heard of a plant called Lemon Balm that really works. Heather (07/01/2008)

By Jess (TF Editor)

Mosquito Repellent Recipes

I use original Listerine (the amber colored liquid) on myself and my family whenever we are out, and so far no bites at all. It cost me about 3.00 for a bottle of the generic brand and I put it into some smaller squirt bottles. Just spray on your exposed skin and they stay completely away. (07/02/2008)

By Curvaliscious

Does anyone have any mosquito repellant recipes or ideas?

Load More