Summer Garden Flower Photos

Garden blooms are a fun to photograph and can brighten up any day year round. This page contains summer garden flower photos.

August 22, 2016 Flag

My tomatoes, corn, zucchini squash, onions, cucumbers, watermelons, cantaloupes, bell peppers, lettuce, and spinach all came short of the glory, this year. I had not one vegetable worthy of a shutter click. If it weren't for a nice crop of strawberries earlier in the season, my veggie year would be a complete disaster. I sure wouldn't have made it as a pioneer. Glad I don't have a house full of little ones looking to daddy for food. Well...as Gloria Gaynor said, 'I will survive'. There will be another year.

Are you kidding? Those little things are watermelons? Ha ha! They look more like Tiny Tim's golf balls. Well, at least you can save that ugly cuke for seed.

Jess has asked for more pictures and she shall have them. I have seen a recent increase in the number of photos submitted. I think I have given a thumbs up to all of them. Not to be nice, but because they all were very good.

If you haven't yet submitted a garden photo, or a Birds, Blooms, and Wildlife photo, get busy before that last rose of summer slowly fades away.

With my vegetables only good for a big pot of slumgullion, all I have to submit now, are a few flowers and some odds and ends. Between heavy rains I was able to catch a few shots you might find interesting.

Cedar seedling - I got down on my hands and knees for this shot (not an easy task for me). I'm sorta proud of it. It really looks good, blown up to full screen.

I was able to get a better shot of a Turtlehead. I think you will agree.

Lantanas like sun. This one is being grown in the shade of old maple trees. I am surprised it has such a vibrant color.

For some reason, I have started collecting grasses. I buy them only when they are marked down. I bought six of this Sky Rocket fountain grass. I have no idea where I will put them. Rest assured, it will be a place where others can enjoy their beauty.

I caught this busy little bumblebee just as it was about to enter a Turtlehead.

Lastly, a relaxing scene. The perfect stage for tiny fairy ballerinas and danseurs to perform a mini world version of Tchaikovsky's greatest, The Sleeping Beauty Ballet.

Your box seat is the little stone, upper middle right.

Formal dress definitely not required.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

August 11, 2011 Flag

One of several plants that really stand out in the late summer garden is Mexican sunflowers.

I planted my Mexican sunflower seeds after our last frost this year. When they started growing, I thought there must have been a mistake. They were getting huge, wide and were without flowers. By now they were over 3 feet tall and still growing. I became concerned because I had acquired the seeds from a seed swap. The leaves were starting to look like a sassafras tree on one set of leaves then another set that looked like mittens. I had two sassafras trees in my front yard already and did not want any in a flower bed. :) LOL. Who would want 6 sassafras trees growing in their new flower bed, not me!

Since they were already there, I decided not even trying to pull them out now, that I would wait until fall and get them out then. Meantime I would break them off from their tops to maintain their size. (Good idea huh?)

Just when I was getting used to looking at them in my new garden, all of a sudden they started to bloom. The flowers now are 3 inches across with bright deep orange color surrounding a dense cluster of bright yellow disc florets! Simply stunning! I find I can't take my eyes off of them. They are beautiful and such a pleasant summer surprise! Now they're 5 feet tall and full of blooms. :)

My hummers and my huge monarch butterflies love them as much as I do too! They are drought and deer resistant. Since we live near the woods and see deer all the time, I'd have to ask, how much better does it get? :)

I will live the rest of my life with Mexican sunflowers in my gardens. I'd be crazy not to and so would you! :)

I live in Zone 7a and mine are planted in my north side yard with eastern exposure. Mine love the sun but also like a break from it too. (don't we all!)

Blooms remain open and attractive for ten days or more, making them an effective cut flower.

Aren't they pretty?

By Jacquelyne Jean J.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

August 15, 2016 Flag

Photo Description
Gardening is my love. I inherited the love of flowers and gardening from my dad. After years of planting impatiens I was hit with the impatien wilt and had to find another type of plant. After 2 years of experimenting and not being happy with the results I read about the new Bounce impatiens which were a hybrid created to replace the impatiens destroyed by the wilt. These are strong and grow hardy, not susceptible to the wilt disease. This is the 2nd year and they are fabulous. I have many hydrangeas which are also beautiful. I also love my roses. They are Knock Out roses and perform well. Plus my crepe myrtle which is a challenge to keep healthy in the Northeast is always beautiful. I love working in my garden. It is a labor of love. I also do a vegetable garden, but the flowers are my pride and joy.

Photo Location
Allentown. PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

July 15, 2010 Flag

I love my hollyhocks. I have them all around my home so many people just stop and look at them. In fall time, I get the seeds and reseed them. If any one wants seeds, send me a message. Hollyhocks are so pretty. I have all colors, they last longer than roses.

Happy summer to all, God bless.

By Sheila from Fond du Lac, WI

Hollyhocks in the garden.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 11 Comments

April 15, 2011 Flag

I live in South Central Washington State which is a desert area. The courtyard of my apartment complex is really nice with a swimming pool, a man made creek, and a couple of purple desert cherry trees, pine trees, and some wild rose bushes. There are no flowers planted except in the flower pots, around the swimming pool.

Year after year this one little lone hyacinth bulb pushes itself up out of the ground. It never ever gets watered by man, but yet the winter snow and spring rain gives it just enough moisture to renew itself to bloom, and live it's short season before taking a nap until the next spring.

I just wanted to share one of the many wonders of God's special gift of life no matter how tiny they may seem, and that the will of all life forms no matter how meager the tools given for survival can bloom and grow with 'just enough'.

By Deeli

Hyacinth

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

August 9, 2010 Flag

I have created a back corner garden behind a large comma shaped perennial garden. This is a perfect place to sit and read, enjoy a cup of tea or a glass of wine and hide-a-way from a hectic day!

garden corner

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 20, 2013 Flag

This lovely flower was part of our summer garden in 2012.

Pretty pale yellow flower.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 30, 2009 Flag

Here are a few pictures, not too much blooming yet. But I'll be looking for some good shots this summer. Enjoy, GG Vi

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 20, 2011 Flag

Not Summer, not Fall yet. But here is what is blooming in our yard today.

Pink Bromeliad Flower

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a little shot of the flowers blooming in my complex. I am not much of an expert, but I think it's an iris? Help me out folks? We have rhodies, and some tiny lavender ones that look like tennis balls only the wrong color!

Purple and lavender irises.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 6, 2012 Flag

I captured these pictures of this little ladybug climbing onto this coreopsis flower along with two bumblebees that moved over and made room for her. It made for several beautiful photos.

Bumble bees and ladybug on coreopsis flower.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 28, 2010 Flag

Bumble bees get very tired gathering pollen on these beautiful flowers.

Beautiful yellow, purple, and white sunflower.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 18, 2015 Flag

In our gorgeous back garden on the left we have a patch, in the back row there are sunflowers, in the 2nd row there are dahlias, and at the front there are corn flowers. We have 2 laurel bushes opposite the bed. At the end of the garden we have 4 gladioli.

backyard garden

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 4, 2011 Flag

This is my back deck. I entered pictures of the heavy snow we had in WV this past winter and the year before. I can't wait until my back deck is covered with flowers instead of all the snow! I love summer and all the beautiful flowers.

Pansies in pots on deck.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 11, 2011 Flag

Very beautiful flowers! I wish they bloomed all year round!

Hollyhocks

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 18, 2011 Flag

This gorgeous flower grew in my aunt's backyard garden over last summer. It was one in a group of three and was easily the largest and most beautiful. I took many pictures that day of her garden, but this has always been my favorite.

Deep purple and white dahlia.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 11, 2011 Flag

This is one of the many seasonal photos I take of our garden throughout the year. It is such pleasure and I'd like to share with others.

Various flowers with rudbeckia in the foreground.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 24, 2011 Flag

As a special gift to me each summer, my husband plants Mammoth sunflowers, my favorite variety, and a few new varieties so that I can see them from my kitchen window.

Large Yellow Sunflower With Blue Sky in Background

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 27, 2012 Flag

This was outside my front door when I lived in California a couple of years ago. I love how the color of the hollyhocks matches the color of the sweet peas that climbed up the stalk.

Hollyhocks and Sweet Peas (Magalia, CA)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 19, 2009 Flag

This area contains begonias, new guinea impatiens, and a spike. I added some regular impatiens in planters, and some leafy plants from the yard. These yellow and white four o'clocks are planted in the west and open with the sunrise.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 24, 2007 Flag

My last of the summer flowers. It's been cold at night so I don't expect them to last much longer.

Yellow daisylike flowers.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 25, 2011 Flag

My daughter's hydrangea blossoms are exquisite with vibrant purple and blue coloration, and the greenery is crisp and bright. The hydrangea bush is bursting with blossoms, that are so eye catching.

hydrangea flowers

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 21, 2010 Flag

This photo was taken while on a walk around the Maine Medical area of Portland. A friend was inside having a doctor's appointment and I took the chance to capture some of the gardens around the brownstones of the area.

Closeup of sunflower head.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Photos GardenJanuary 10, 2014
English daisies.
Taking Photos of Your Garden
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
Flower Garden
Planting a Flower Garden
Flower Girl Smiling in Front of Bride and Groom
Frugal Flower Girl Tips
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 11:49:34 AM on 10.0.0.57 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.