Sump Pump Lid

In my basement laundry room, in a far corner there is a sump pump into a ground pit. I had always cut a homemade piece of wood to fit over this although there is no danger of anyone walking on same.

I bought a universal heavy plastic lid/cover from Home Depot which fits and looks great, but there is a longer slot opening on top. Should this be covered or sealed? Or is the lid there for some kind of protection from anyone stepping into the pump? I tend to over analyze everything.

By Elena

The other opening on the lid is probably to accommodate a drain from something else like a dehumidifier. It sounds fine the way it is but you can rig up another kind of cover if you wish.

I would ask the folks at Home Depot.

A sump pump is designed to pump out water from the basement and with a lid on it without a hole in it the water won't pump out. Simple you can't fall into it but water can.

Consumer Advice General AdviceJune 17, 2011
pan with lid
Removing a Lid Stuck on a Pan
Pump Bottle
Reusing Pump Bottles
lace tank topper
Making Toilet Tank/Lid Covers
Two metal garbage cans.
Keeping the Lid on Your Garbage Can
🎄