Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Tomato Plants Not Blooming

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Tomato Plants Not Blooming

It can be mystifying that your tomato plants seem so healthy but are not blooming. This is a guide about tomato plants not blooming.

Here are questions related to Tomato Plants Not Blooming.

Question: Tomatoes Not Blooming

My tomato plants have grown huge, but have not produced flowers for fruit. The same goes for my pepper plants. What could be wrong?

By Bobbie from Springfield, OH

Most Recent Answer

By Grandma J [46]06/16/2010

Your soil could be the issue. All blooming vegie plants need a boost and regular household Epsom salts is what to run and get. Google it, go to their site, many online planting sites will give you info. Even on the packaging it tells you how to use it.

Helps with bottom end rot as well. Magnesium Sulfate is needed in the soil as a boost. Do you get your soil evaluated/tested so you know what is in it or do you buy planting soil at the nursery/farm store, etc. I have my own mix and have found that Epsom salts also helps control bugs in my gardens too. Don't let it set on the plant, sprinkle around the base and water. My roma plants had 100 tomatoes to a plant last year. Could not believe it! Did the Epsom salts about every 2 weeks.

Question: Tomato Plants Stopped Blooming

When I planted my tomatoes it had blooms. There are 1 or 2 big green tomatoes on the plants. They stopped blooming and where the bloom should be, they've turned a blackish color. The tomatoes that are on the plants look great and are growing everyday, just no new blooms. Any information would help, what is the cause, how can I cure it?

By Kerry Jo

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]04/18/2012

Check the packet label. You may have purchased and planted a tomato that flowers once and then puts all of its energy into developing those flowers that have become fruits.

Solutions: Tomato Plants Not Blooming

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Tomatoes Not Blooming

I am a new gardener to planting in pots on our deck. We have 28 tomato plants and all except four have blooms. Others have bloomed and now have nice tomatoes setting on. Why are four of the plants without any blooms at all? They are almost 5 ft. tall.

By bluegrass from Greenville, NC

RE: Tomatoes Not Blooming

Are the 4 plants getting enough sun? I believe they need a good 8 hours of sun. Are some of the other plants shading them part of the day maybe? I have several tomato plants in 5 gallon buckets. Once they got so thick and tall I noticed they were actually blocking the sun from one another. I had to space mine out some.

How big are your containers? My extension office suggests 1 plant per 5 gallon container. I have read that too much nitrogen causes no blooming. I'm sure you probably fertilize every plant the same though so that's probably no help. I don't know much about the fertilizing part of it. I have always had great success with regular Miracle Gro granules. You said you were a beginner, 24 out of 28 is great even for a pro, as far as I'm concerned.

Tracey in Jacksonville, FL (06/10/2009)

By TraceyI

RE: Tomatoes Not Blooming

One thing that will keep your tomato and other blossoming plants from blooming is if it's been fed a high nitrogen fertilizer, if the first number on your fertilizer is a big number that's not good. One way to remove some of the nitrogen is to work wood shavings or sawdust in the top couple of inches of soil, as it breaks down it takes nitrogen out of the soil and if you keep a thick layer of wood mulch under the plant it will hold moisture in bloom better. (06/10/2009)

By BABBIE

RE: Tomatoes Not Blooming

Thank you, Babbie and TraceyI for your prompt replies. I do believe it's the sun because some are taller than the others. I will get them relocated. All are being fertilized the same.

When we went to get the plants, I only intended to try three or four. However, my husband got carried away with those little trays and some had two plants in each slot. He said they were cheaper to buy in the six-pack trays than individually so hence, we ended up with 28.

We finally came up with enough containers to set them out. We actually have four cheap ($1 Dollar Tree) tall, plastic clothes baskets as pots. He lined them with a small netting so the soil could not come through the basket. Of course, they weigh a ton now and can't be re-located very easily. I have those on the back deck so no one can see the clothes baskets as pots. I am amazed how all of them have grown not to be set out in a big ole garden like we had growing up in TN.

Happy gardening to those of us using containers on our decks/patios. Have a great harvest season.

Marsha (06/11/2009)

By bluegrass

RE: Tomatoes Not Blooming

Too much nitrogen. All the energy goes into growing and greening the plant, and not into flowering and setting the fruit. (06/18/2009)

By emmamamie

Archive: Tomatoes Not Blooming

What makes tomatoes not have any blossoms on them?

By Carol from Griffin, GA

RE: Tomatoes Not Blooming

Are they all the same variety? There is determinate tomatoes and indeterminate varieties. Some flower sooner than others. Also, I use tomato fertilizer on mine and I think it helps. The tomato fertilizer is also good for clematis if you have any of those as the same ingredients in it is what you need for clematis. (05/12/2010)

By Laniegirl

RE: Tomatoes Not Blooming

I think it's a nutritional deficiency. Go to garden section and read on the smaller boxes of fertilizers that say, increases blooming, and find out what you are lacking. Then you can buy ready made or go organic route and add what's needed. (05/12/2010)

By PIKKA