Training a Pitbull to Not Bite

Puppies love to play rough and tumble and biting is a part of that play. However, when they grow up biting is no longer acceptable and potentially dangerous. Training your Pitbull not to bite is a process you can undertake successfully at home. This is a guide about training a Pitbull to not bite.

I would suggest getting information about The Dog Whisperer, Cesar Millan. He is in Los Angeles. He has many Pits and would certainly know what to do. He has books and DVDs, also. His show is on NatGeo Wild every day. I hope this will help you.

Source: NatGeo Wild, The Dog Whisperer, Cesar Millan

By Barbara from Oceanside, CA

Like many others I own lots of dogs. What exactly does it mean that your pitbull puppy is biting? Is it playful or aggressive, drawing blood? All puppies ruff and tumble. Pits are terriers and high energy. Puppies and every dog no matter how old requires exercise including walking, sniffing, running every single day of its life. No exercise every day and you will have "bad dog" that day. It is mandatory to fit daily exercise of your dog(s) into your life.

With this said, pitbulls are tough when they're 1-3 years old. Some aren't very trustworthy with other dogs, even when they're spayed/neutered. For example, when I leave the house to shop or whatever, I put three dogs out side that get along and leave 3 inside.

Last, all dogs should be wearing the proper equipment in public. If your dog is not aggressive with other dogs a pinch collar is acceptable. However if there is any chance at all that your dog will lunge, the proper equipment is the metal spiked training collar and not a pinch collar. Of course, put the rubber tips on the ends. This collar is very humane and works, spreading the tightening around the neck evenly. (The choke collar can break a neck.) The other proper equipment is a plastic muzzle. I would not take my pitbull in public without one to eliminate all risk.

Is it common for my nine week old bluenose Pit Bull to be biting? What is the best way to help him to stop?

By Kate from Sandown, NH

Answer Was this helpful? 4

This is a perfect technique. Say ow and ignore and dog will learn. Very smart. And give all pits a chance.

I have a 7 month old Pit Bull. She keeps play biting my 14yr old daughter. I have tried everything to stop her but she won't stop. My daughter is the only person she does this to.

Christine

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I had seen pitbulls that were raised for fighting when I was a child. I had grown up with a fear of them. Then I had the privilege of meeting more and more pits that were raised as family dogs. I still will not let ANY dog be left only with a baby or small child, but I have now owned 3 pitbulls myself and have never had them hurt anyone. They (ALL dogs) will bite when they are puppies until they are taught not to (in a positive way).

To judge a dog by its breed is no different than judging someone by their race...maybe people need to think about that before they say anything

We rescued 2 Boxer mixes when they were 3 months old; a female Teaya, that is 3 years old now and less than a year later a male Tyce, who is 2 years old now. Taeya has severe separation anxiety for which we thought getting her a brother would be a great idea, so we adopted Tyce. Taeya is very motherly and they are two peas in a pod; never had any problems with them.

We recently came across a homeless family with Pitbulls living in a park and found out that two of the litter died. Our heart went out to them and we adopted 1 male (Titan) that was 6 weeks old and is not fixed yet. He is now 4 months and we plan to get him fixed, but he has been showing major aggressive behavior recently.

First, he would start playing with Taeya, and she can handle it, but then he would start to bite her mouth and we could not pull his mouth open; which terrifies us.

Now, he leaves Taeya (female) alone, and has been going after Tyce (male). He bites his mouth and does not let go, whenever we take them on a walk or if we give Tyce attention. Our only methods have been putting him in the crate to calm him down, which works, and then he goes up to Tyce and gives him kisses. But once we walk them, it starts again. We got to the point where we can't walk them together.

I can only imagine he is trying to establish dominance, but Tyce is a submissive dog. Taeya and Tyce do not defend themselves and I believe they are terrified of his lock jaw.

I plan to get him fixed this week and see how they may change; but in the meantime, I need a solution for them to co-exist without my older dogs getting their face bitten off. Then we will most likely find him a new home; our intention from the start was to foster him.

Any advice?

By Caitlin C.

Answer Was this helpful? 4

Contrary to popular belief pitbulls do not have a locking jaw. And they also do not have a very large bite pressure. Matter-of-fact, they don't even have the largest bite pressure of all domestic dogs, that belongs to the to Rottys! You just need to replace what they are biting with a chew toy or a bone, you puppy is still teething so he will need something to chew on.

I just got a Pit Bull/Boxer mix pup. He was 6 weeks old. I have had him for about 3-4 weeks now and his aggression and biting is getting to be too much, especially with my 5 year old son. I have tried smacking his mouth, giving him a firm NO, newspaper against my hand to make loud noise to stop him, putting him in his cage after disciplining him, he just doesn't stop. He goes right back at it. He also gets spiteful when you yell at him for the biting and put him in his cage. He goes in and pees. Any suggestion how to calm his aggression?

By Mimi from east coast

Yes there is nothing wrong with obedience school there might be other tricks people know that you don't

I have this baby Pit Bull and he is about 8 months old now. He is snapping and biting, but only at kids. He use to never do that to the kids as a baby. We have been putting him outside on the chain or in the room when he does and/or spanking him. He has bones and stuffed toys that he plays with. This is the third time he has done this. I love him dearly and if I can't find a way to help him stop then we will have to get rid of him. I really don't want to cause he is my baby.
Help?

Joan has a good idea, and I would also suggest implementing a training program now that he is old enough. The idea is to get him to respect humans more.

Do NOT let him eat as you are putting the bowl down. He must learn to sit and wait for a signal.

DO NOT let him take food from your hands, plate etc. or beg for food at or near where people are eating.

(Also, no hanging around the kitchen when food is being prepared.)

Do NOT feed him human food. He will become "bitey."

DO NOT let him take a toy from a human's hand. The human must GIVE, (or throw,) he can't take.

NO jumping up on humans.

I wanted to adopt a 18 month old Pit Lab mix from a rescue. The dog seems friendly towards people. I was informed by the owner of the rescue that the dog was more than mouthy. He bites and doesn't let go and he jumps all over. He has been in this shelter for a year and hasn't had much training. I certainly appreciated her honesty, but for some reason I really would like to give this dog a chance to live in a home. However I also have 2 Labs at home, a 12 yr. old and a 10 yr old. I certainly don't want to jeopardize them. Do you think this rescue is a good idea? Do you think this dog could ever be a normal part of a family?

By Kathy L

The way I understood the question was she has two other dogs who are 10 and 12. She said nothing about kids...

I've had my Shar pei/Pitbull puppy since he was 8 weeks old and from then on I stressed how important it was to not let him bite. My fiancee and I went out and got him ropes and treats because he was starting to bite. He is 14 weeks now and he is starting to draw blood and bite harder and bark at our hands.

My mom's friend came over and was rough housing with him and letting him bite and bark. I'm afraid I'm going to have to get rid of him. He was a wonderful when he was younger and was good. Now he doesn't listen, he barks, he bites, and he is scratching now. I've tried saying no sternly, avoiding him til he behaved, put him in his kennel til he settled down, and my mom doesn't know what to do so she grabs his jaw spanks him and says no biting.

I love my puppy, but this biting thing may lead me to giving him up or my mom just taking him to the pound. My fiancee wants to get him a muzzle and I want to be able to trust my puppy especially because I may be pregnant and I have a 6 year old nephew. I need to know how to get him to be good and stop biting.

By Samantha B.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Aw he is so cute! All of the pit crosses have this teething play biting not minding being snotty problem.

Never roughhouse with a pup it makes them misbehave. Then any hand looks like a play toy to the pup.

I always would take the pup by the scruff gently and raise him up and look at him and say no. His upper feet would be off the ground but his back feet would be on the ground. I have found a firm shake to the scruff and a no with a mean growly voice usually works. Don't praise once he has calmed down, just let the quiet be the praise. Here are some other tips:

Here is a bit of help from leerburg.com

http://leerburg  itingpuppies.htm

Fear Aggression in Puppies Video

http://leerburg  sion_in_Puppies/

Stopping Puppy Biting Behavior Video

http://youtu.be/1dKiaKSEilg

Here is an excellent pit bull resource site on training:

http://www.pbrc.net/training.html

Hope this helps, and if you do rehome him make sure you charge a fee for it!

Blessings,

Robyn

I have a 5 week old Pit Bull puppy. How do I stop her from biting people?

By Sally H. from Elkhart, IN

Biting is natural for your pup, however, you can provide training to help your pup learn that biting is not acceptable is some situations.

How do I get my American Pitbull five week old puppy to stop biting my two year old when she tries to play with it?

By Sally from Austin, TX

Sally, I'm sorry, but I feel you are heading for disaster. Pit bulls are banned breed here in Australia. This is not about pitbulls as such, but no puppy should be allowed to get a taste of biting a baby or child, even in play.

My next door neighbours sadly had to have their beautiful dog (not a pit bull) put down because it bit their 3 year old. They were devastated at having to do it, but the child, any child, has to be the highest priority.

My boyfriend and I have had this blue nose Pitbull since he was a baby. Now he is almost 4 years old and he has bitten me twice within the past 2 years. The last bite almost caused me to lose my arm. I still want to be with my boyfriend, but I don't like the dog anymore and he's' still in the house.

His mom lives with him and she spoils the dog like a child and he stays in the house. I cared for him while he was a baby and I don't understand why he bites me when I cared for him more than my boyfriend during his younger years. And I don't understand why the police did not put him down. I want to remain in a relationship with my boyfriend, but I don't want the dog.

By CB

It is so hard to say what may have caused this dog to bite you. There is a lot of very irresponsible breeding with pits. Too bad, it has been a great breed and I am sure many still are. You could take a chance trying this or that, but it seems to me the stakes are too high. They would be for me. If your boyfriend has made no effort to protect you by getting rid of the dog, you need to have a tough talk with him. Perhaps Mom would like to get her own place and take the dog with her. Sadly, we can live with and love someone and still not really know them. Your boyfriend has a chance to show you his character. When he does, believe him and act accordingly. Do what you need to do. You are worth it.

I am at the end of my rope. This is our second Pit (our first was hit by a car at 1 year). BeBe is 14 weeks old and I can not get her to stop biting my hands, feet, legs, and she pulls on my pants leg. I have tried "NO", I have pushed her away, tried to ignore her, tried to give her chew toys when she tries to bite me or chew on my clothes. She has gotten where she barks at me and is getting to be aggressive toward me. I am the primary caregiver and I love her and want her, but she is really getting to be a handful.

By Bonnie W. from La Grange, NC

I'm thinking that your puppy thinks you are playing with him by pushing him away. If he is biting your fingers etc. snap his nose with a flick of your fingers, saying "no" at the same time. By just pushing him away it has become a game. Make him sit before you give him a treat, a treat can be as small as a Cherrio. When he does the "right" thing, reward. Good luck, he'll learn.

My APBT is currently 8 months old and I have had her since she was 6 weeks old. During this time we have moved three times. Initially, we lived in a situation where she got to play with a few different dogs and see various people. While playing with these animals, she would play normally and occasionally act dominant but never aggressively or too rough. She would not jump or nip at people except my 10 year old nephew who would play roughly with her.

Soon after this, we moved in with my parents. My parents spoiled her by not enforcing rules and letting her play roughly with them. After discussing this with them, they stopped for the most part but it seemed the damage was done because she now thought it was okay to jump on people and nip at them.

Since then, we have moved into a complex with a roommate. The complex contains many people and animals. She will listen to me when we are alone with only the occasional challenge. However, when we are walking and she sees a person or another dog, she gets really excited, stops listening to me, and tries to pull to get to the person/dog. On the occasions that she does meet someone new (or old for that matter) she will jump on them and nip at them. She does not do this with me, but she does it with everyone else! It makes me nervous that she may hurt someone because she does not realize she is being so rough. She also now plays too roughly with the dogs she was initially socialized around. I just want her to act more calm around everyone else like she does with me. Any advice?

By Mary C.

Part of the problem is her age, but you are wise to get a handle on this early. She is a good age for some obedience training. If that and some growing up doesnt solve the problem, your trainer may have good ideas on other avenues to pursue. Good for you for knowing to nip this in the bud.

My mom has a Pit Bull and two other dogs. We got him five years ago from a shelter and he was underweight and not healthy. He now is happy and healthy and loves my mom. My brother and I have moved out for college and he now lives with my mom. He follows her around the house and he is getting very protective (possessive) of her. Now whenever she has any friends over he stares at them and watches their every move and if they move a chair or get up too fast he will nip them. No one wants to come over anymore and we don't know how to make him stop. He is never aggressive towards me or my brother, but he intimates everyone else who comes over and he takes full advantage of it. What should we do?

By Lily D

You need professional training for the dog and your Mom right away. Get some of Cesar Milans' books as he deals a lot with red zone dogs. Don't wait.

I have a 1 year old female Pit and recently she has been going after my roommate and his dog (which is a male pit) when they come in our room or by us. My roommate came in my room and she bit him and then went and stood over her food and then she went after him again. She also has bitten my boyfriend. What can I do to get her to stop?

By britt.b

You have a dog with inbred aggression tendencies. When this breed begins to be aggressive you need to take action immediately. It is guaranteed to escalate. Begin by finding Cesar Milans (the dog whisperer) website and read enough to understand red zone dogs. Your dog needs intensive training immediately and you need to learn to understand what you are dealing with.

If your dog bites a person you are legally responsible because you are aware of the dogs tendencies. Your dog will need to be handled very carefully for its lifetime to avoid someone being badly hurt and you becoming legally responsible for the damage. Get started right away. http://www.cesarsway.com/

How do I teach and train my 7 month old Pits to not bite and jump all over people?

By Nicole A

When the dog is approaching you and you know it's going to jump or the dog is in the process of jumping, step forward, do not back up. Step into the dog's space, give a command like "down" "back"or whatever, use same word every time. Reason you step forward is dogs don't do backward easily.

Don't knee a dog in chest, they think that's fun. For the biting I have used a snap on the bridge of their nose, like you are flicking something off your finger and say "no bite." Don't hurt the dog, get the dogs attention that what they are doing is not acceptable.

I just had my Pit Bull bite my neighbor. He is 1 1/2 years old. I got him from a guy when he was 8 months. How do I get him to not bite other people? I don't want to put him down either. Thanks.

By Anthony

I would look in to a dog training class. There are reasonable ones in petsmart.you and your dog would take them together. If that doesn't work your best option might be a trainer with pit bull experience. They are lovable and loyal, but are also strong willed and powerful dogs. You may need a professional to get him on track. Good luck.

We have a 5 month old Pit/Lab. We got him a month ago. He had no training. I've gotten him house broken, but we can't get him to stop biting us. He draws blood and is barking at every noise. I need hep fast. He is my baby.

By Judie from Clinton, IL

First of all, stop treating him like your "baby." If you treat him like a baby, he will think he is your boss and try to boss you around by biting you. You must make him understand that YOU are the boss. Don't let him sit in your lap, keep him off the furniture. Keep his head below yours. Don't talk baby-talk to him. Make him wait to eat. It sounds harsh, but it is a system that dogs understand. You must stop treating him like a baby. He's a dog.

Jewels (10 wk old Pit) has a bad habit of biting us and our smaller dogs. We want to break her of it before our child arrives so our son/daughter does not get bitten. We have tried chew toys for her to chew on and treats between meals, but nothing is working. What can you suggest to me?

By theresabarrientos13

I have a three month old Pit Bull, that is just biting like crazy. How do I get my puppy to stop biting?

By francisjesilva20

My Pit bull is 6 months old and jumps on everyone and bites. Why?

By Dianna from Lubbock, TX

Answers:

Pit Bull Puppy Keeps Biting Us

He's doing what all puppies do. It has nothing to do with the breed he's just being a puppy. I will suggest you try and stop this now though before he thinks it's OK. The best way to do this is to keep a leash on him at all times. When he goes to jump jerk the leash and tell him "no". Then get him to sit, when he does praise him. I find cookies work good for my guys. If you keep this up he'll start to learn that being good and sitting instead of jumping will mean cookies.

Good luck! (04/08/2010)

By bunnylady

Pit Bull Puppy Keeps Biting Us

I have fostered three of them and they each did the same thing. I think it is just because you are his/her pack members and that is what he thinks of in his mind when he wants to rejoice and play and get all happy. The thing to do is to educate him by giving him or her new pictures in his mind to have regarding this sort of thing.

Here are some tips:

Keep soft and hard chew toys for him to have. It is best to have a chew toy to really get serious with, like a Nylabone and other softer ones he can't tear up, like plastic Coke bottles minus the plastic top. I squish them down to where they can gnaw on them. I take a kitchen towel or rag and tie it in a knot for a soft toy.

Place a toy in his mouth when he goes for an arm or a leg. He is asking to play when he grabs an arm or nips at a leg. You are supposed to give chase. Just gently place a toy in his mouth.

If he is really bad, and is awfully rough, I would grab the scruff, without picking him up off the floor and give a shake, not enough to hurt and then say "leave it" or "no". After you are done and he has looked away put him down, put the toy in it's mouth and say "yes" or "good boy" and pat him. At first when you pat him don't overexcite him and make it easier for him to learn to settle down.

I have had to pull pups that didn't start fights apart by pulling them by their back legs from the other dog.

When he jump nips towards faces, grab scruff and shake with a nasty sounding "no" that sounds like the devil is after him and act all disgusted.

It kind of depends on how his personality is. Go to leerburg.com and see if you like any of the free articles and start marker training and doing training for fun. I like to teach them to expect a treat when you click with your mouth, it is great. Then you can base further training later on with that, click with your mouth, and then drop a really small piece of hot dog or bacon or whatever, the size of a green pea or so. Do it about ten or twenty times a day, just for fun. He or she can't mess up, it is all for bonding.

leerburg.com has lots of articles and podcasts and ebooks and such for free, even though I am going to save up for the puppy training DVD because I foster a lot of animals. Click on contact by my name on this post and I will help you with any other issues that arise. I just love this breed, but their little mouths are so strong you kind of have to teach them in a hurry that something is not right without hurting their spirit. I truly believe these make the best pets in the world with the right person.

I had a "Pibble" that had never been trained. He was a "complete" stinker. My arms were bleeding the first day I had him and that was just playing, lol. What a perfect baby he was the day he went to his permanent forever home, just from the tips above and bonding through clicker training and lots of love. He was so well behaved. I was so proud.
Yours will be too! (04/08/2010)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Pit Bull Puppy Keeps Biting Us

Pit Bull Puppy Keeps Biting Us

It may be because he is teething! Lock up everything you don't want chewed up! Tell your dog "NO", firmly, and give him a bone (bully sticks are great) instead and praise him when he chews it. All puppies teethe and chew up things because their teeth are growing in and their gums are sore. (04/10/2010)

By JenlovesChocochip

I just got a 12 week old, red nose Pitbull. The potty training has been going well and she is doing very good. My major problem is I cannot get her to stop biting. It does not hurt now but I am afraid that when she gets older it will and I need to get her to stop biting now before it gets any worse.

I went to the vet and they told me that when ever she bites squirt lime juice in her mouth, but this has just got her really mad at the lime juice bottle when she sees it. The vet also told me that when she bites, put her on her back and hold her mouth closed until she relaxes. I have tried this also, but sometimes when I let go she still snaps back. What can I do?

Answers:

Training a Pitbull to Not Bite

In response to yoshabelle's comment. This dog is the most loving, willing to please, affectionate dog on the planet, hands down! They are eager to please their owners and will do whatever it takes to make them happy, even fight to the death! The only time they are dangerous is when irresponsible and heartless owners train them to kill. They are people-loving dogs, and would prefer a room of people over a room of dogs any day. They are extremely brilliant animals and are very easy to train with positive reinforcement, patience, and overall, consistency.

Yes, unfortunately they do have it in their DNA from decades of breeding to be a bit more aggressive than other dogs. But from a recent study in temperament, the American Pitbull Terrier passed with a better score than the collie and even the Golden Retriever. They are not mindless, dangerous killing machines. If your bully is biting, keep in mind she is a puppy. All pups bite. It feels good on their little teeth. Give her the proper toys, treats, teething tools, etc. to chew on. Ignore her when she bites, letting her know that biting= no more play mate.

It helps to let out a loud high pitched yelp, as a puppy play mate would make if your dog were to bite too hard. Reinforce her good behavior with a treat when she listens to anything you want her to do. Be patient. And overall, be consistent! I trained all my pups at 8 weeks to sit, stay, lay, down, come, roll over, and not to bite within a month. Yes, all of those commands! I am no trainer, just a responsible, patient owner. I am not promising the same results.

Remember, all dogs have different personalities and even more important, different owners. Just remember, Pit Bulls were bred to fight, yes this is unfortunate. But they did it to please their owners. They would fight till they were nearly dead just to make their owners happy. They will do anything to please you. So love and respect them and they will do the same.

Editor's Note: Yosabelle's feedback has been deleted as inappropriate for ThriftyFun. (10/04/2009)

By bullylover09

We have a beautiful pit bull puppy, her name is Latika. We are not sure how old she is, we believe she is about 10 weeks old. Our problem with her is that she can't stop biting.

We have a 10 week old Pit bull puppy. She has a very sweet temper, but she is starting to bite all the time. How can we train her not to bite before she gets bigger and it hurts?

I have a 9 week old Pit Bull Terrier named Chaos. She is the sweetest puppy, but the constant biting is starting to build up a wall between us.

I have just recently adopted a Pitbull puppy from our local rescue facility. I was not informed that it was a Pitbull but a Boxer mix. She is very playful and I would say could be a good dog.

Load More