Dog Biting, Chewing, and Pulling on My Clothes

I am at the end of my rope. This is our second Pit (our first was hit by a car at 1 year). BeBe is 14 weeks old and I can not get her to stop biting my hands, feet, legs, and she pulls on my pants leg. I have tried "NO", I have pushed her away, tried to ignore her, tried to give her chew toys when she tries to bite me or chew on my clothes. She has gotten where she barks at me and is getting to be aggressive toward me. I am the primary caregiver and I love her and want her, but she is really getting to be a handful.

By Bonnie W. from La Grange, NC

Best Answer

I'm thinking that your puppy thinks you are playing with him by pushing him away. If he is biting your fingers etc. snap his nose with a flick of your fingers, saying "no" at the same time. By just pushing him away it has become a game. Make him sit before you give him a treat, a treat can be as small as a Cheerio. When he does the "right" thing, reward. Good luck, he'll learn.

Best Answer

Hi Bonnie: I think a lot of this is puppy behavior and as you keep reinforcing no, he will learn. However, please don't ignore him! Your puppy wants to play! Keep redirecting him to his toys, possibly throw a ball and keep substituting your toys, fingers and hands with toys and when he does bite you while playing, firmly say no, and I know this may sound looney tunes, but maybe even "yelp" like another puppy would do!

Seriously, I think he probably would sense he hurt you. It's kind of like how his brothers and sisters would have reacted if he were still with them. I would then praise him tons when he does play nicely with his toys and balls. (Kind of like a kid--they love the positive attention). Good luck with your puppy, Bonnie. I am no expert, but have had big dogs and small dogs and had this same problem and "taught" him how to play!

Best Answer

I don't agree with punishing the puppy, other than saying "NO!" firmly. Gently put her in another room for a few minutes when you can't get her to stop, just long enough for her to calm down. When you get her out, ask her to sit, and reward her with little training treats. It will make you crazy at first, but soon she'll understand that when she does that, she is deprived of the one thing she wants most: your company.

Take her out for walks, play with her in the back yard, take her to the dog park. She'll become the dog you knew she could be. And think about hiring a trainer.

I would suggest a lot of socializing, I have a rescue dachshund that did this, and the more I took her to the off leash dog park that better she became, I even had people tell me that they were seein a difference in her, hope this helps - Bonnie.

Anonymous

I am anxious to hear an answer to this. I have the same problem