Troubleshooting A Beeping Smoke Alarm

I had the same issue. My detector beeped loudly once a minute; and another one beeped once a minute, so beeps were heard every 30 seconds from 2 detectors. I vacuumed the units, turned off circuit breaker, disconnected wire unit from detectors, replaced batteries, held test button with battery out and then with battery in. None of this helped. All detectors had green solid light. I tried to solve all day and got a headache of course.

Finally (and this is noted by others too), I checked my plug-in (stand alone, not connected/wired to house or to smoke detectors) carbon monoxide detector (Kiddie brand, bought about 3 years ago; smoke detectors came with new house, now about 8 years old). I had just quickly plugged the carbon detector units into outlets and forgot about them. The carbon monoxide detector was going off! It had a red light flashing. My second carbon monoxide detector (Kiddie, same as this one) was NOT alarming and had steady green light! I unplugged the flashing carbon detector and INSTANTLY all smoke detectors were quiet Yikes! There was no carbon monoxide, I'm not sure why it went off.

So I'd suggest if you have wired/electrical smoke detectors to try unplugging various other things; sensor lights, alarms, small appliances, anything recently plugged in, etc. It might not make sense but it's an easy quick thing to try before trying complicated or expensive solutions, and to avoid headaches! Good luck!

Thanks to Kelly R.

My smoke detectors ( w/o batteries ) we both chirping.

Kelly nailed it. It was the Carbon Monoxide Detector, which has 3 batteries wasn't going off, but I replaced the batteries and everything silenced.

The Carbon Detector was the Kiddie Brand also.

If you slide the Unit up, you'll find 3 AA Batteries.

I replaced and reset all of them.

Thank you Kelly!

Thank you so much. I checked my plug- in smoke detector and remembered I had unplugged it yesterday and forgot to put the switch back on. Thank goodness for google

Thank you! Unplugged my Carbon Monoxide detector, problem solved. However, mine was still showed a green light.

Try turning your heat up, newer homes, the ones that have hard wired smoke detectors with newer furnaces for some reason seem to know when the temperature drops below 70 degrees in a large portion of your home. I chased this rabbit down a hole for a couple of months.

We have a loft and two bedrooms with an electric heat pump over our living room and the rest of the main floor which has a gas furnace. When the upstairs system was turned below 70 at night, after my daughter moved out...the alarms began to go off at night beginning when the temp up there hit 68 degrees or so...it would be all weird hours of the night. After some months of not sleeping and many hours of research, I sat up there one night and listened to the heat kick on and off and finally off with its programming and it then ret colder and then it began. I just turned the heat up to match the heat down stairs and slowly it warmed up and the beeps got slower until they stopped, wallah, problem solved.

Try it, it may just be as simple as that. I wish I had a done it a lot earlier, we spent 4 years in Texas listening to our alarm in Texas going off.

Thank you big help. I had. Space heater plugged in near smoke detector, once unplugged the chirping stopped.

Mine had the same issue. I disconnected all six hardwired alarms that are only 6 months old in the house and took them outside. Still chirping at the box at the top of the stairs.with your advice I found a small battery operated Co detector my wife had on a low shelf there. Threw it out the window and problem solved. Now I have to put all the detectors back. Thanks!

Thanks i was going crazy the alarm was blaring for about 20 minutes woke up scared thinking we were on fire later realized that theres nothing wrong

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST.. I WAS GOING NUTS TRYING TO SLEEP WITH THST DAMN BEEPING... GOT UP AND UNPLUGGED THE CO DETECTOR AND THE BEEPING STOPPED!!! IT'S A MIRACLE

A carbon monoxide detector has a shelf life of five to ten years and will beep constantly until unit is disconnected and replaced. Depending on the manufacturer some devices may beep and a green light is flashing others just beep

here what's the chief fire department told us, 1st dust it, 2nd put new batteries if they are old, 3rd if nothing works unhook the alarm from the ceiling and wait for a moment 1 mm and put hook it back to the ceiling. that's it the 3rd one worked with me.

OMG thank heavens for finding your post - I have been up and down ladders all morning, replacing the battery in one of my mains connected smoke alarms and it has been driving me crazy, the beeping still wouldn't stop. After reading your post i went straight to the boiler cupboard (which is close to the location of the smoke alarm) and sure enough it was the carbon monoxide alarm that had been bleeping the whole time! Quickly fixed and sanity restored. Thank you so much.

I had the exact same experience. Unplugged the carbon monoxide detector from the outlet and all smoke beeping stopped. Carbon unit was about 7 years old.

Thanks for the advice.

OMG........THANK YOU. I'VE HAD WEEKS OF CHIRPING. I UNPLUGGED THE CARBON M...........DETECTOR AND WILL REPLACE.

PEACE AT LAST.

Thank you so very much! That's exactly what made my smoke detectors to stop chirping after I had changed all batteries. My dogs are also very appreciative!!

Electric Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping
Home and Garden Home Improvement Lighting and ElectricJuly 1, 2015
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Home Security Without an Alarm System
Home Security Without an Alarm System
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 26, 2017 at 5:18:06 AM on 10.0.2.244 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.