Use Egg Shells for Slug Prevention

Some gardeners have good success reducing the slug population in their garden using broken egg shells. This is a guide about use egg shells for slug prevention.

Spring is the time I start saving my eggshells to crush up for the garden. Why you ask? I sprinkle the crushed eggshells around the base of the plants to keep the slugs off my tomatoes. Apparently, they don't like sharp objects!

By colleekely from Albany, NY

Top Comment

If you bake them in the oven, let them cool, crush them and keep them in screw-top jars they won't smell. No need for the freezer.

Marg from England.

Save your egg shells from your favorite recipe to help out your garden. Crush your clean egg shells into small, but not powdered pieces, and spread them around the base of your plants. Slugs will not go over them because of the texture of the shells.

By E.Mussa

Top Comment

Egg shells are also great plant food for roses (I knew a guy that when he planted new roses in his garden would put a couple of Tums in the planting hole!) and they prevent blossom end rot in your tomatoes. I just put my shells in the garden and my goofy pug dogs are eating them. What clowns!! I always rinse the shells right away and let them dry fully then crush them in a small plastic container with a lid. Easy schmeezy!

My father once told me of collecting and drying egg shells for the garden. When they are dry you crush them up and spread the pieces at the base of your plants. Slugs and snails won't crawl over the shards.

By Suntydt from Tazewell, TN