Uses for Citrus Peels

In addition to composting, citrus peels have a wide variety of uses around your home. This is a guide about uses for citrus peels.

Lemon Peel
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I am moving from a house to an apartment. All is chaos. I just discovered I confused the laundry basket with the trash - only once. I found that the dirty clothes smelled great thanks to the dried out orange peel.

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When we had a garden (and there were lots of feral kitties around us in that neighborhood which was near a park), we just scattered fresh orange or lemon peels throughout the areas and that seemed to do the trick. Cats do not like the smell of citrus peels, which are harmless since the kitties don't bother them at all.

Please do not ever put things like Tabasco sauce or other harmful things anywhere that a helpless little animal might be blinded or made terribly sick by eating or coming into contact with it.

Source: A lifetime of gardening, dealing with animals and looking for ways to do both safely and enjoyably.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

To avoid odor or make odor go away, put lemon, lime, or orange peels and grind in the disposal with hot water. You will notice the odors will go away.

Source: My grandma used to do it

When you use a lemon, don't throw away the peel. Put it in a baggy and toss it in the freezer. Then you will have it handy if you encounter a recipe that needs lemon zest.

Ideas for reusing Citrus Rinds. Post your ideas.

Is it true that if you freeze a lemon whole you can grate it over your foods and get the best nutrition, as well, as anti cancer protection? Claims are the skin holds anti cancer protection similar to chemotherapy.

By Judie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

As far as lemon peels having anti-cancer properties, I don't know, but I was very excited to hear on t.v. a week or so ago about about turmeric or cumin having serious anti-cancer properties! From what I understand, it attacks the cancer cells on 5 different levels, from the beginning stage to the end stage and 3 stages in between. You can generally get turmeric from WalMart on the vitamin isle. It is also as effective as ibuprofen in relieving pain, but with no side effects! I hope this helps.

Read More Answers...

Whenever I peel a fragrant fruit such as an apple, lemon, orange, etc. I save the peelings to simmer on the stovetop. There are times when I cannot use them that day. So I have a bag in my freezer that I will save these peelings until I can use them. I add some whole cloves and sprinkle cinnamon into the mix when simmering with added water on the stovetop.

If I have an unpleasant odor in the microwave I will use the same mixture in a microwave-proof measuring cup and simmer it a bit. Let it stand in the microwave for a few minutes. Open the door, remove carefully, and wipe the inside dry. Leave door open to dry thoroughly.

By mkymlp from NE PA USA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If orange peels and lemon peels work, why not use orange or lemon juice in a garden sprayer and just spray the yard?

By Buddy J.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ants would be attracted to orange juice. Plus the zest of the fruit is where the oil is and is what makes it so strong.

Read More Answers...

What are all the uses you can think of for orange and lemon peels?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use orange peels to rub onto your skin as a natural mosquito repellant.

Read More Answers...

Grate lemon peel, lime peel, and orange peel when you buy those fruits on sale or any time. Allow the peel to dry on waxed paper. When fully dry, store in glass jars and label. Saves money by using these peels for flavorings when cooking or baking.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can one blend a whole lemon, both juice and back together, to drink? Is the lemon oil edible (the oil from the peel)?

By Barth

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I did it before, because in gypsy culture you use it as a laxative and it works. But if you drink the whole lemon you will be going for days.

If you have an open fire or a wood burning stove, throw orange and lemon peel in with the fuel and the room will be filled with a delicious smell.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Freeze the peel from oranges or lemon and later you can use it to flavor tea, coffee or cider.

Make citrus oil to keep aphids, white flies, fire ants, and mosquitoes away! Soak the rinds of 2 orange peels in 1 gallon of water (closed) for about 10 days. Strain out the rinds/peels and store in mason jars until ready to use.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cauliflower will stay white if you add a small piece of lemon peel to the water while cooking

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceMarch 12, 2013
      Peeling a potato.
      Uses for Potato Peels
      Homemade Citrus Cleaners
      Homemade Citrus Cleaners
      Composting Citrus Peels
      Composting Citrus Peels
      Banana Peel
      Uses for Banana Peels
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 2, 2016 at 7:05:50 PM on 10.0.2.115 in 451 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.