Browsing: Uses for Citrus Peels

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Uses for Citrus Peels

In addition to composting, citrus peels have a wide variety of uses around your home. This is a guide about uses for citrus peels.

Lemon Peel
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 19, 2015 Flag

I am moving from a house to an apartment. All is chaos. I just discovered I confused the laundry basket with the trash - only once. I found that the dirty clothes smelled great thanks to the dried out orange peel.

January 12, 2015 Flag

To avoid odor or make odor go away, put lemon, lime, or orange peels and grind in the disposal with hot water. You will notice the odors will go away.

Source: My grandma used to do it

June 2, 2006 Flag

When you use a lemon, don't throw away the peel. Put it in a baggy and toss it in the freezer. Then you will have it handy if you encounter a recipe that needs lemon zest.

Ideas for reusing Citrus Rinds. Post your ideas.

June 22, 2012 Flag

Is it true that if you freeze a lemon whole you can grate it over your foods and get the best nutrition, as well, as anti cancer protection? Claims are the skin holds anti cancer protection similar to chemotherapy.

By Judie

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I do freeze a whole lemon and I do grate the skin onto somethings.

Citrus peels of any type are high in antioxidents which scientists believe help contribute to protection against cancer but there's no guarantee it will stop cancer. Other things citrus peels contain help aid in lowering cholesteral and help contribute protection against diabetes. You do not have to freeze them in order to be able to grate them and you can freeze the gratings simply by placing them in zip lock bags with as much air removed as possible.

The fruit of citrus fruits must be specially prepared to freeze for the best results. Here's a link that will explain how (scroll down to Table 2 for instructions):

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09331.html

As far as lemon peels having anti-cancer properties, I don't know, but I was very excited to hear on t.v. a week or so ago about about turmeric or cumin having serious anti-cancer properties! From what I understand, it attacks the cancer cells on 5 different levels, from the beginning stage to the end stage and 3 stages in between. You can generally get turmeric from WalMart on the vitamin isle. It is also as effective as ibuprofen in relieving pain, but with no side effects! I hope this helps.

October 2, 2011 Flag

Whenever I peel a fragrant fruit such as an apple, lemon, orange, etc. I save the peelings to simmer on the stovetop. There are times when I cannot use them that day.

July 27, 2011 Flag

If orange peels and lemon peels work, why not use orange or lemon juice in a garden sprayer and just spray the yard?

By Buddy J.

Feel free to try it. We're always open to learning something new. Probably be a little bit on the expensive side, unless you live in Florid or California, so it's not something most people would be using. Living in Florida, we have plenty of the citrus peels as well as the juice, but we drink the juice and use the peels in the gardens.

Pookarina

I expect the peels last longer as well. I have used lemon scented Mr Clean splashed full strength on the spots strays sprayed. They avoided those areas in future, and the Mr Clean cleaned up the spray.

Ants would be attracted to orange juice. Plus the zest of the fruit is where the oil is and is what makes it so strong.

January 25, 2001 Flag

What are all the uses you can think of for orange and lemon peels?

I use orange peel in with my stored brown sugar. It keeps the sugar moist and easy to use. - Bea in WI

I use my lemon peels to boil in my tea kettle - bring to a boil and let it sit for an hour (or longer) to dissolve the crud that often builds up on the bottom. If I have let it go for awhile I sometimes have to do a little scrubbing (with the peel) but then I know my kettle is clean and ready for some serious tea-drinking!

And for orange peels, I throw them in a pan and add a couple inches of water, along with cinnamon and cloves thrown in. Bring to a boil and then let simmer - the smell is heavenly! - Cindy

Cook lemon peels and tomatoes. Tomatoes will smell great!

Use orange peels to rub onto your skin as a natural mosquito repellant.

November 12, 2010 Flag

Grate lemon peel, lime peel, and orange peel when you buy those fruits on sale or any time. Allow the peel to dry on waxed paper. When fully dry, store in glass jars and label. Saves money by using these peels for flavorings when cooking or baking.

April 5, 2013 Flag

Can one blend a whole lemon, both juice and back together, to drink? Is the lemon oil edible (the oil from the peel)?

By Barth

I did it before, because in gypsy culture you use it as a laxative and it works. But if you drink the whole lemon you will be going for days.

March 4, 2010 Flag

If you have an open fire or a wood burning stove, throw orange and lemon peel in with the fuel and the room will be filled with a delicious smell.

December 30, 2005 Flag

Freeze the peel from oranges or lemon and later you can use it to flavor tea, coffee or cider.

Load More
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceMarch 12, 2013
Peeling a potato.
Uses for Potato Peels
Homemade Citrus Cleaners
Homemade Citrus Cleaners
Composting Citrus Peels
Composting Citrus Peels
Banana Peel
Uses for Banana Peels
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 14, 2016 at 4:13:32 AM on 10.0.0.49 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.