Uses for Citrus Peels

In addition to composting, citrus peels have a wide variety of uses around your home. This is a guide about uses for citrus peels.

November 19, 2015 Flag

I am moving from a house to an apartment. All is chaos. I just discovered I confused the laundry basket with the trash - only once. I found that the dirty clothes smelled great thanks to the dried out orange peel.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

January 12, 2015 Flag

To avoid odor or make odor go away, put lemon, lime, or orange peels and grind in the disposal with hot water. You will notice the odors will go away.

Source: My grandma used to do it

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

June 2, 2006 Flag

When you use a lemon, don't throw away the peel. Put it in a baggy and toss it in the freezer. Then you will have it handy if you encounter a recipe that needs lemon zest.

Ideas for reusing Citrus Rinds. Post your ideas.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 6 Comments

October 2, 2011 Flag

Whenever I peel a fragrant fruit such as an apple, lemon, orange, etc. I save the peelings to simmer on the stovetop. There are times when I cannot use them that day. So I have a bag in my freezer that I will save these peelings until I can use them. I add some whole cloves and sprinkle cinnamon into the mix when simmering with added water on the stovetop.

If I have an unpleasant odor in the microwave I will use the same mixture in a microwave-proof measuring cup and simmer it a bit. Let it stand in the microwave for a few minutes. Open the door, remove carefully, and wipe the inside dry. Leave door open to dry thoroughly.

By mkymlp from NE PA USA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 12, 2010 Flag

Grate lemon peel, lime peel, and orange peel when you buy those fruits on sale or any time. Allow the peel to dry on waxed paper. When fully dry, store in glass jars and label. Saves money by using these peels for flavorings when cooking or baking.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 4, 2010 Flag

If you have an open fire or a wood burning stove, throw orange and lemon peel in with the fuel and the room will be filled with a delicious smell.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 30, 2005 Flag

Freeze the peel from oranges or lemon and later you can use it to flavor tea, coffee or cider.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 5, 2001 Flag

Make citrus oil to keep aphids, white flies, fire ants, and mosquitoes away! Soak the rinds of 2 orange peels in 1 gallon of water (closed) for about 10 days. Strain out the rinds/peels and store in mason jars until ready to use.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 5, 2008 Flag

Cauliflower will stay white if you add a small piece of lemon peel to the water while cooking

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 22, 2012 Flag

Is it true that if you freeze a lemon whole you can grate it over your foods and get the best nutrition, as well, as anti cancer protection? Claims are the skin holds anti cancer protection similar to chemotherapy.

By Judie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I do freeze a whole lemon and I do grate the skin onto somethings.

Citrus peels of any type are high in antioxidents which scientists believe help contribute to protection against cancer but there's no guarantee it will stop cancer. Other things citrus peels contain help aid in lowering cholesteral and help contribute protection against diabetes. You do not have to freeze them in order to be able to grate them and you can freeze the gratings simply by placing them in zip lock bags with as much air removed as possible.

The fruit of citrus fruits must be specially prepared to freeze for the best results. Here's a link that will explain how (scroll down to Table 2 for instructions):

http://www.ext. … odnut/09331.html

As far as lemon peels having anti-cancer properties, I don't know, but I was very excited to hear on t.v. a week or so ago about about turmeric or cumin having serious anti-cancer properties! From what I understand, it attacks the cancer cells on 5 different levels, from the beginning stage to the end stage and 3 stages in between. You can generally get turmeric from WalMart on the vitamin isle. It is also as effective as ibuprofen in relieving pain, but with no side effects! I hope this helps.

January 25, 2001 Flag

What are all the uses you can think of for orange and lemon peels?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use orange peel in with my stored brown sugar. It keeps the sugar moist and easy to use. - Bea in WI

I use my lemon peels to boil in my tea kettle - bring to a boil and let it sit for an hour (or longer) to dissolve the crud that often builds up on the bottom. If I have let it go for awhile I sometimes have to do a little scrubbing (with the peel) but then I know my kettle is clean and ready for some serious tea-drinking!

And for orange peels, I throw them in a pan and add a couple inches of water, along with cinnamon and cloves thrown in. Bring to a boil and then let simmer - the smell is heavenly! - Cindy

Cook lemon peels and tomatoes. Tomatoes will smell great!

April 5, 2013 Flag

Can one blend a whole lemon, both juice and back together, to drink? Is the lemon oil edible (the oil from the peel)?

By Barth

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I did it before, because in gypsy culture you use it as a laxative and it works. But if you drink the whole lemon you will be going for days.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceMarch 12, 2013
Peeling a potato.
Uses for Potato Peels
Homemade Citrus Cleaners
Homemade Citrus Cleaners
Composting Citrus Peels
Composting Citrus Peels
Banana Peel
Uses for Banana Peels
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 2:06:25 PM on 10.0.1.211 in 8 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.