Uses for Citrus Peels

Lemon Peel
In addition to composting, citrus peels have a wide variety of uses around your home. This is a guide about uses for citrus peels.

When you use a lemon, don't throw away the peel. Put it in a baggy and toss it in the freezer. Then you will have it handy if you encounter a recipe that needs lemon zest.

Ideas for reusing Citrus Rinds. Post your ideas.

Read 6 Comments

Whenever I peel a fragrant fruit such as an apple, lemon, orange, etc. I save the peelings to simmer on the stovetop. There are times when I cannot use them that day. So I have a bag in my freezer that I will save these peelings until I can use them. I add some whole cloves and sprinkle cinnamon into the mix when simmering with added water on the stovetop.

If I have an unpleasant odor in the microwave I will use the same mixture in a microwave-proof measuring cup and simmer it a bit. Let it stand in the microwave for a few minutes. Open the door, remove carefully, and wipe the inside dry. Leave door open to dry thoroughly.

By mkymlp from NE PA USA

Grate lemon peel, lime peel, and orange peel when you buy those fruits on sale or any time. Allow the peel to dry on waxed paper. When fully dry, store in glass jars and label. Saves money by using these peels for flavorings when cooking or baking.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

I am moving from a house to an apartment. All is chaos. I just discovered I confused the laundry basket with the trash - only once. I found that the dirty clothes smelled great thanks to the dried out orange peel.

Read 2 Comments

Make citrus oil to keep aphids, white flies, fire ants, and mosquitoes away! Soak the rinds of 2 orange peels in 1 gallon of water (closed) for about 10 days. Strain out the rinds/peels and store in mason jars until ready to use. If you will be applying to fire ant mounds, apply full strength. If spraying on plants, dilute 2 ounces of citrus oil with one gallon of water to avoid burning plants.

You'll be an organic gardener in no time.

Benjamin

If you have an open fire or a wood burning stove, throw orange and lemon peel in with the fuel and the room will be filled with a delicious smell.

By Lucy L. from England

Freeze the peel from oranges or lemon and later you can use it to flavor tea, coffee or cider.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Read 1 Comment

The zest from lemons and oranges is used in a number of recipes, but it can also be used in homemade cleaning products. This is a guide about uses for orange zest.

An orange zester with zest and a curly orange peel on a white background.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Cauliflower will stay white if you add a small piece of lemon peel to the water while cooking

What are all the uses you can think of for orange and lemon peels?

Use orange peels to rub onto your skin as a natural mosquito repellant.

Is it true that if you freeze a lemon whole you can grate it over your foods and get the best nutrition, as well, as anti cancer protection? Claims are the skin holds anti cancer protection similar to chemotherapy.

By Judie

As far as lemon peels having anti-cancer properties, I don't know, but I was very excited to hear on t.v. a week or so ago about about turmeric or cumin having serious anti-cancer properties! From what I understand, it attacks the cancer cells on 5 different levels, from the beginning stage to the end stage and 3 stages in between. You can generally get turmeric from WalMart on the vitamin isle. It is also as effective as ibuprofen in relieving pain, but with no side effects! I hope this helps.

Can one blend a whole lemon, both juice and back together, to drink? Is the lemon oil edible (the oil from the peel)?

By Barth

I did it before, because in gypsy culture you use it as a laxative and it works. But if you drink the whole lemon you will be going for days.