Uses for Empty Tissue Boxes

Before discarding that kleenex box you may want to consider some of these ideas. This guide is about uses for empty tissue boxes.

February 1, 2015 Flag

With the colds and flu that are going around, you may find that you are constantly dragging around a box of tissues. This simple tip will provide you with both the ever needed tissues, along with a handy trash can for the used ones.

Take an empty tissue box and remove the plastic flaps around the opening. Then using two large rubber bands, attach a full box of tissues to the empty one. This is also a great option if your kiddo is sick on the couch. :)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 6 Comments

November 24, 2010 Flag

I use empty tissue boxes by my washer and dryer to put the lint and used dryer sheets in. They hold an incredible amount and because of the small opening with plastic lining, it keeps the lint from flying around in the air! I have a family of 5 so I do a LOT of laundry! I find one empty box will easily last 4-6 weeks. I also use it to put trash from pockets into - my teenage son is great for leaving things in his pockets. I also keep an old piggy bank beside the tissue box. The loose pocket change really adds up!

By 09dsh from OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

January 13, 2010 Flag

Empty Kleenex boxes are great for storing plastic grocery bags. I put a box of them in the bathroom cabinet for use in the bathroom trash basket and under the kitchen sink for the kitchen trash can.

Also a Kleenex box makes a mini-trash basket to set near a desk or other area.

By Judy S. from North Dakota

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

January 24, 2007 Flag

Here are some creative ways to reuse tissue boxes. Post your own ideas below:

Tissue Box For Yarn Scraps

I do a lot of crocheting and am constantly having scraps of yarn laying around. To combat this problem, I keep an empty boutique tissue box close to where I am crocheting. I use it until it is full, then just throw it away and start on a new one. Saves a lot of trips to the trash can.

By Barbi from Urbana, OH

Garbage Bag Dispenser

I just invented and tried this last night. I have a roll of garbage bags with about 200 garbage bags. It was in a plastic bag and every time I pulled out a garbage bag, it would get twisted, and I would have to untwist it. Not a major issue, but annoying nevertheless. So I took the roll out of the bag and put it in an empty Kleenex box. Now the bags come straight out and it's easier to find where to tear them.

Chuck R. from Grand Rapids, MI

Storing Plastic Bags

I've always hated to throw away beautifully decorated tissue boxes, so when I was looking for a handy place to store plastic grocery bags, and keep them easily "grab-able", I came up with the idea to fold the bags as flat as possible (doesn't really take that long--like folding laundry) and place them in the tissue box. I keep it out on the counter with plastic bags ready to reach whenever needed.

By Paula W

I have a friend who donates unneeded plastic grocery bags to shelters or thrift shops. At night or when I have some free time I fold bags while I watch television and place them in a tissue box. They are neat and in a pretty container. My friend says that missions and thrift shops can always use clean bags. Womens shelters and YWCA's can usually use these bags and are thrilled to get them in a pretty box that is organized and can be slipped on a shelf or under a counter.

By Julie

Don't throw away old Kleenex boxes. Use them to store all you bags you get at supermarkets, Wal-Mart etc. You don't even have to fold them if you don't want to. I just stuff them in the box. A box hold quite a few and then they are handy to line your plastic garbage bucket in the kitchen. I also use a Kleenex box to store empty bread wrappers. When I make home made bread, I use the ones I've saved and can then freeze the baked loaves without having to purchase anything to put the loaves in.

By Betty

Box For Drawings

You can also use them for drawings at parties or fund raisers. No need to find a box and cut a slit when you can use the old Kleenex boxes.

They are also handy if you want to set up a coupon swap in a retirement area, community area, laundromat, etc.

By Tawnda

Handy Storage Containers

I carefully cut out the tops, tape the sides down with wide clear tape and use them for for anything I want, anywhere I want. Sometimes it's videos, books, jars on the bathroom sideboard, whatever. They are so pretty sometimes I too can't stand to just flatten and recycle them.

I've even put clear contact plastic over the whole box when I was really happy with one. These were usually the Christmas designs. I've also cut the sides off, peeled off part of the backing board and "laminated" two with pretty sides out for lovely bookmarks.

I'm certifiable when it comes to boxes and contact plastic anyway, sometimes I've found some wedge shaped boxes at stores that I wanted to put on a shelf and the box had a trademark along the front edges so I glued a pretty tissue box side over the trademark. Like I said, certifiable, but smiling because I didn't BUY fancy storage boxes .

By Linne Dodds

Cut box top at 4 corners, tape down the flaps. Use for storing small items that you have on your desk. Use in drawers for dividers to store various items. They are stackable. Good for storing cassette tapes.

By Jo Ann

Reuse The Pretty Designs

Kleenex boxes can be really pretty paper so you could use them for making a paper collage

By cocopuff1993

For Harry Potter Fans

Take a Kleenex box, put all Harry Potter Stuff (pictures, stickers, etc) and put a "lid" on it. Perfect for organizing a messy desk.

By Andre

Garbage Can For The Bathroom

A friend of mine uses them as garbage a receptacle on her bathroom counter. It's perfect for discarding cotton swabs and other non flushables. It looks so much prettier too.

By navaho.princess

Play Slippers

When I was little me and my sister stuck our feet inside them and used them as play slippers!

By Kristi

Save Dryer Lint

I use them in the laundry area for dryer lint. Then I use the dryer lint for all kinds of things. Clay and fire starters are two of my favorites.

By johnsonya

Sewing Trash Basket

I keep one on my sewing machine and put thread, scraps of fabric, etc. in it. When full, I just throw the whole thing away. No need for a waste basket by my machine.

By Anna

Pretty Bookmarks

I cut the sides out and cut 2 pieces the size of a normal book marker, I hole punch the top, glue the two pieces together and glue gun lace around the edges and tie a small piece yarn to match and you can give them to people who love to read or as stocking stuffers! good luck!

By Kay N.

Reusable For Tissue Dispensing

I carefully undo the flaps on one side of the box. Then I remove the paper core from a roll of toilet tissue and pull the paper out from the center of the roll. Slip the roll inside the box and pull the paper up through the open top. Tape the box side back together. Set these in handy places where you normally would have tissues, the bathroom, the bedroom, your office. When you need a tissue, just pull off a few squares of the toilet tissue. Lasts lots longer than the original box of Kleenex.

By Harlean from Arkansas

Save those cube Kleenex boxes. Open the bottom of the Kleenex box. Pull half of the Kleenex out of the rectangle box. Fold in half and push up into the bottom of the cube box. Pull the first Kleenex through.

By MCB

Kitchen Organizing

I have found two useful ways to recycle Kleenex boxes. I use it to stuff my plastic bags in. I keep it in my pantry. When I need a bag for something, I simply go in & pull one from the box. It makes a great "dispenser". I also use them in my silverware drawer, to put drinking straws in. The straws usually come in a plastic bag. When you or the kids reach to get just ONE, we usually touch the tops of several. This way you can pick up the straw out of the box, from the middle, instead of the end. Much more sanitary!

By FrugalFriend

By Jo Ann

Homemade Cards

Some of the boxes have really neat designs on them so I use them to make my homemade cards with. When using a paper punch the design can be so weird you'd never know what it was before

By catherine

Use As Gift Boxes

I have used the small "cube" tissue boxes as gift boxes at Christmas. Undo one set of flaps, put the gift inside (with some tissue paper if you like -- ironic, huh?), then wrap as usual. If it's a pretty Christmas design box, you may want to just let the design show, and simply cover the places where the brand name shows. Use a big stick-on bow or wide ribbon to cover the slit on top.

By Becki in Indiana

Kids Mailboxes

Kids love mail. When I was in grade school eons ago, we made "mailboxes" for Valentine's day. The cards were put into our boxes through the slot at the top. Make a mailbox for your kids. If they get mail, drop it in. Otherwise a note from Mom and/or Dad is always appreciated!

By homeschoolin_mum

Car Garbage Can

I use mine in the car to hold garbage. You can either pitch it when full or empty it and start again.

By smcarney

Organize Yarn Balls

Use to keep large balls of yarn separated. Open side of empty box, place yarn in side then tape side shut. Thread the yarn through the hole.

By David in Florida

Sick Bed Garbage

An empty Kleenex box is ideal near a sick bed. Just toss when full.

By Moondancer

Save Receipts and Other Small Items

I use them on desk to put store receipts in. Put grocery store receipts in one for a month to see what you spent. Put kids color pencils or markers in one. Great for keeping kids small toys in. Great in girls bath for holding hair stuff.

By Nelda Morelock

Save Box Tops

I use one to store the 'TOPS FOR EDUCATION' coupons, plus one to store Betty Crocker 'Points' from boxes.

By darween

Recycle The Paper

You could always take them to the local paper-bank, and have them recycled into new tissue boxes with the latest logos/design of box re-printed on the side.

By George

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 19 Comments

August 2, 2010 Flag

Open up the glued end of an empty large tissue box so it is now flat. Trim off the logo area. You can use the plain white area if you wish. Trim off ends and save them. You can get three tiny gift tags from the ends.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 26, 2010 Flag

I place my paper scraps in an empty decorative tissue box while working on my scrapbooking. This can be used for any project that creates small pieces of trash. This way your craft area stays clean as you create.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 18, 2010 Flag

I find that I can keep my miscellaneous small plastic bags that keep on coming in more or less in check by putting them into empty Kleenex boxes and putting them on a shelf. Much neater! And the boxes will really hold quite a few bags scrunched together.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 8, 2007 Flag

I have Kleenex all over the house, almost every room. Instead of constantly buying the small square box that fits in the common decorative Kleenex holder, I keep reusing the first box.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 22, 2011 Flag

If you re-use zip-lock bags, use empty tissue boxes to store the bags. Fold them neatly so they pop out like tissue.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 31, 2015 Flag

When finished with tissue boxes cut from the centre to the corners and fold all sides down. Then staple the folded sides to the sides of the box, It is now ready to keep all your paid accounts in.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 26, 2011 Flag

I cut off the tops of square tissue boxes and use them to put things in.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 11, 2012 Flag

There have been some suggestions for how to use empty facial tissue boxes. I need more ideas. What do you use your empty facial tissue boxes for? (besides tiny trash cans near desks, or to store folded plastic bags.) I use mine for holding balls of yarn which like to bounce around then roll across the floor. I hate for yarn to get on the floor. Yuck. I wonder if they are too big to use in drawers for organizing? Would they take up more room than the items themselves?

By JazzyMe from Los Angeles, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I also put my change in the empty box next to my bed. Easy in, easy out and my kids don't look there for my money ;)

Making it a piggy bank.

February 25, 2011 Flag

Make nice catch-all boxes for craft supplies, toiletries, or other objects from empty tissue boxes. Use tissue boxes with nice colors or designs and that have the words on the bottom. From the center hole, cut a line to each corner, glue underside with craft glue or glue-all, and press into box. You may have to hold down for a couple of minutes.

By Cher from Oxford, ME

Answers:

Make Supply Boxes from Tissue Boxes

Great idea, especially for kids craft storage. They could glue their own pictures on it to call it their own. (08/11/2010)

By paulajeromeg

Make Supply Boxes from Tissue Boxes

Great idea! Maybe you could hold down the freshly glued flaps with long chip clips. (08/11/2010)

By yoder178

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 24, 2010 Flag

One way I reuse those empty, small tissue boxes (with the plastic over the hole in the top) is to fill it with dryer lint as I do laundry. It keeps the lint contained, holds a LOT of lint, and can be tossed when full.

By Jan from Gainesville, GA

Answers:

Use Empty Kleenex Box For Dryer Lint

I always use an empty tissue box for dryer lint but do not toss them when full. They make the perfect fire starter for our wood burning stove in the winter. (07/22/2010)

By MaggieGrace

Use Empty Kleenex Box For Dryer Lint

Or put lint in an empty toilet paper/paper towel cardboard tube and use for fire starters. (07/23/2010)

By ilonacr

Use Empty Kleenex Box For Dryer Lint

Dryer lint is compostable. Another use is to pull it into smaller bits and put it out where you see birds gather or feed in your yard. They take bits back to help feather their nests. Anything to keep it out of the landfill. (07/24/2010)

By Katie-Lou

Use Empty Kleenex Box For Dryer Lint

Birds also like the hair that you pull from your hair brush. I used to stand in the back yard and clean my hair brushes. Just toss it out there and birds will find it. It doesn't look all cluttery either. (07/26/2010)

By MartyD

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 18, 2010 Flag

I have been using Kleenex boxes to hold reusable plastic bags for years. Hold the bag at one end, then run your hand down it and fold like an accordion, back and forth. You can fit several in a box. The ones with plastic strips on top work best and the pure cardboard for the large bags.

Not only that but, check this out, take the Kleenex box to the grocery store like Basha's, etc. They are compact and you get .05 cents off for each bag you reuse. Kinda cool.

By Pamela from Sun Lakes, AZ

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 21, 2010 Flag

Whenever I had to clean out the lint from my dryer it would get everywhere (darn dust!). I didn't want to haul the lint from my laundry room (very small) all the way across the house to the kitchen trash, so I had a little bucket on top of my dryer and stuck it in there instead, but the dust still got everywhere. Then my son brought me an empty tissue box asking "mom where do i put this!"; (This is a usual question in our house it seems "where does one put trash?"). Then it dawned on me. I can use this for the lint from my dryer!

This works like a charm! Since it has the little plastic "trap door" on top of the box, the lint doesn't escape! When it's full, I just throw it out and use the next box. And another great thing is since it sort of has a lid and you can push it all down without it trying to pop out, you can cram a lot in that little box! I love my little lint trash cans! And I'm recycling!

Also. Tissue boxes work great for storing plastic bags. Just get all the air out and roll them up and you can cram so many plastic bags into your little box!

By Katja from Katy, TX

Answers:

Use Empty Kleenex Box For Dryer Lint

What a Great Idea! (08/18/2008)

By beht

Use Empty Kleenex Box For Dryer Lint

Yes, I keep an empty Kleenex box (one of the long ones) on my headboard to keep my "nighttime" stuff in... My face and hand cream and any jewelry I take off and of course my favorite crochet hook, etc, etc ... You'd be surprised how handy these little boxes can be!

You can also take the lint and throw it outside... The birds absolutely love it to make their nests with! (08/18/2008)

By Cyinda

Use Empty Kleenex Box For Dryer Lint

Thanks Katya, i this is a great idea!! I keep an empty kleenex box in the pantry and stuff all the receipts in for one month at a time. You can write on the outside to keep track of month and year and they are much nicer to look at when stored in your closet or office. Natalie from SK, Canada (08/25/2008)

By Nallorey

Use Empty Kleenex Box For Dryer Lint

Don't trash that dryer lint! Birds love it for their nest,, and it is great to start a fire with in the burn barrell, BBQ grill, and fireplace. (09/02/2008)

By mom-from-missouri

What to do with boxes full of dryer lint: Firestarters!

You need:

Wax-covered paper milk cartons -- smaller sizes, like half-pints, work best. Old, broken cotton shoelaces. Tiny broken crayon tips, un-usable ends of candles, and any other scrap wax. A bunch of dryer lint, or wood shavings from a pencil sharpener. A fireplace at home, a camp stove in the back yard, or a camping trip coming up

Directions:

Put a shoelace into the milk carton, making sure a little bit sticks out (the cotton end, not the end with the plastic wrapped around it). Put in a little dryer lint, too. Melt your wax and pour it into the milk cartons. Again, it doesn't really matter how much; just leave some shoelace sticking out. Let it cool and harden. You can remove the wax milk carton or leave it on, it really doesn't matter. Whenever you need to start a fire, just put one of these down and then pile your wood over it, leaving enough room for air to circulate. Voila -- you'll have a fire going in no time, without the use of any harsh firestarting chemicals. (12/30/2008)

By Chayil

Use Empty Kleenex Box For Dryer Lint

Great idea. I use an empty coffee can with a hole cut in the lid. The dryer sheets help to get the lint off of the filter in the dryer. I put them both in the can. When it's time to empty, just remove the lid and empty. (09/03/2009)

By dragonflysue

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 26, 2010 Flag

Don't throw empty tissue boxes away right away. They can have a second life as perfect little trash cans for vanity table or bathroom!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 17, 2010 Flag

I keep an empty facial tissue box in my desk drawer at work, (the pop-up kind of box), stuffed with empty plastic grocery bags.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 13, 2010 Flag

Don't throw away those empty tissue boxes, instead, store plastic grocery bags in them; one in each bathroom, near baby changing stations, in garage.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 5, 2009 Flag

My daughter taught me this one. Fill an empty tissue box with the plastic carry bags you get that hold groceries.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 26, 2009 Flag

We used a number of Kleenex tissues this winter and I tend to buy the ones that are decorative. Instead of tossing them out when empty, I stuff the plastic grocery bags in each empty tissue box.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Better Living Green Living ReusingJuly 13, 2012
Colorful Tissue Paper
Reusing Tissue Paper
Cigars in a Box
Craft Ideas for Cigar Boxes
Cigars in a Box
Uses for Cigar Boxes
Colorful Tissue Paper
Cleaning Tissue Paper Stains From Carpet
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 10:18:56 AM on 10.0.1.54 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.