Storing Plastic Bags in a Tissue Box

Category Reusing
Reusing empty grocery bags is becoming the norm. There are many ways to store them until you need them. Using an empty tissue box is actually reusing two types of packaging and reducing waste.

Empty Kleenex boxes are great for storing plastic grocery bags. I put a box of them in the bathroom cabinet for use in the bathroom trash basket and under the kitchen sink for the kitchen trash can.

Also a Kleenex box makes a mini-trash basket to set near a desk or other area.

By Judy S. from North Dakota

Top Comment

I have been doing the same thing for years. Now I keep one in the lanai filled with bags. This is for DH to take with him to the dog park for scooping! When his is empty in the truck he swaps them and then I refill it.

Top Comment

I save the plastic bags I get for vegetables in the store in an empty tissue box in my kitchen for messy trash that I don't want to just throw in the big trash can--like bacon grease on a paper towel, chicken bones (I keep those in the freezer until trash day). The crows and buzzards know when trash day is here and they attack, so this puts an extra layer between them and their snacks.

With I store all my plastic bags in empty tissue boxes. Just tuck them in and pull them out one by one as needed. It's so easy to grab for lining garbage cans, dog walks, or any other fast thing I might need them for.

By shirley from Bradenton, FL

Top Comment

This is a great idea for truckers too. My husband has bags all over his truck because there's no place to store them. I'm going to give him a tissue box and it'll save him having to search for them. It'll also work to keep them on his dresser where I stash them till he gets home.

I find that I can keep my miscellaneous small plastic bags that keep on coming in more or less in check by putting them into empty Kleenex boxes and putting them on a shelf. Much neater! And the boxes will really hold quite a few bags scrunched together.

By pam munro from L.A., CA

If you re-use zip-lock bags, use empty tissue boxes to store the bags. Fold them neatly so they pop out like tissue.

By Ron from Cortez, CO

I simply store my used plastic bags in an empty tissue box. Pretty and easy to retrieve! I use a smaller square tissue box under my bathroom sink to store spare bags to line my bathroom garage can.

I love the idea. Is there a secial way to fold them so that they come out of the box easier (like tissue)?

Put one bag in bottom first. Loop the second bag bottom into the handle of the bag inserted before.

Repeat until all the bags are done. Here is a video:  ch?v=Ukl5sOLQ1hk

I did a tutorial on this here on ThriftyFun!

http://www.thri  Dispenser-1.html

Hope it helps!

I use a tissue box for storing store bags because it is a convenient size to keep in different places - sometimes I use the small square size and other places the traditional long size according to the space available.
I guess that I have never had the patience or desire to fold my bags so I just check the bags for holes and stuff them in the boxes - usually just one bag comes free when needed - but that is just my way and should not reflect on anyone who wishes to be neater with their storage.

I have been using Kleenex boxes to hold reusable plastic bags for years. Hold the bag at one end, then run your hand down it and fold like an accordion, back and forth. You can fit several in a box. The ones with plastic strips on top work best and the pure cardboard for the large bags.

Not only that but, check this out, take the Kleenex box to the grocery store like Basha's, etc. They are compact and you get .05 cents off for each bag you reuse. Kinda cool.

By Pamela Rochelle Woodworth from Sun Lakes, AZ

I keep an empty facial tissue box in my desk drawer at work, (the pop-up kind of box), stuffed with empty plastic grocery bags. It holds about 10 or more bags. It comes in handy when you need a bag to carry something home in, or if someone else needs a bag. You can also keep a box of bags anywhere you think you may need to keep the bags handy, such as in your car, your garage, your basement, or hall closet.

About The Author: Ness is the co-list mom of Waste Nothing

Kleenex box stuffed with plastic bags

Good tip. Just hope no one reaches in there thinking they will pull out a Kleenex. (05/19/2009)

By Joy

Don't throw away those empty tissue boxes, instead, store plastic grocery bags in them; one in each bathroom, near baby changing stations, in garage. For the kitchen, I use an empty wine box, (the kind that comes in a bag in a box with a spout.) This is much neater than those fabric tubes on a string, that expand to the size of giant Kielbasa sausages.

By nan from Austin, Texas

Tissue Boxes for Plastic Bags

I have been doing this for years as well as finding plastic boxes that you put a tissue box into {one with a bottom on them} and they work great.

I have cats and reuse the bags for cleaning the catbox and keep the plastic ones in the bathroom near the box! (10/05/2009)

By Virginia

Tissue Boxes for Plastic Bags

What a great tip! I save all my grocery bags, but I have been putting them in another bag and that takes up a lot of room. I will be saving my tissue boxes to put them in from now on. Thanks! (10/09/2009)

By Janus

Tissue Boxes for Plastic Bags

Great idea! If you have lots of bags and just want to store them you can also use the empty 12 can box that pop comes in. They have the hole(you know the one you put your hand thru) or you can just fill from the side.They also stack well. I have lots of bags :). (10/24/2009)

By cara

My daughter taught me this one. Fill an empty tissue box with the plastic carry bags you get that hold groceries. You can pull them out one by one. Nowdays, the tissue boxes come so that they match any room.

By Sally M from Buffalo, NY

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

We used a number of Kleenex tissues this winter and I tend to buy the ones that are decorative. Instead of tossing them out when empty, I stuff the plastic grocery bags in each empty tissue box.