Uses for Leftover Wallpaper

Category Wallpaper
Roll of Leftover Wallpaper
Left over wallpaper can be used in crafts and other home projects. This is a guide about uses for leftover wallpaper.

I had a roll of wallpaper leftover and decided to used it to reline the drawers in kitchen and bathroom. It worked great and saved money.

By Irene from Williston, FL

Use leftover pieces of wallpaper or pages from a wallpaper book to make book covers. Many of these book covers are even tear-resistant.

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

After installing a new wallpaper boarder, I noticed a few flaws on the wall itself. I decided to camouflage the flaws by adding some pretty accents from the remaining wallpaper border. I carefully cut out my favourite images and applied them over the flaws in a way that looked decorative. Now nobody will ever know there are flaws on my wall.

By Lisa from Halifax, Nova Scotia

This is a guide about using wallpaper for wrapping presents. Wallpaper is sturdy and comes in many colors and motifs, making it a nice alternative to ordinary wrapping paper. Use leftovers from your last project or remnants found at thrift stores or yard sales.

Rolls of wallpaper.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have some discontinued wall covering books and I would like to use the book of design pages to decorate bookshelves, etc. The problem is, I don't know how to get the pins or screws that hold all of the sample wall covering designs together. Can anyone suggest what I can do? They are not easy to get off.

Thank you for any help.

By Linda from Cleveland, OH

Answers

I had the same problem but I just worked and worked with the screws/pins. You need a strong hand for one thing but using a screw driver (flat head) and pliers, while prying up with the driver, pull with the pliers, it does take time but it does work!

Let me know if you succeeded.

Use the grinding wheel on a small dremel to cut them off.

I have found that leftover wallpaper and shelf lining paper are an excellent source of gift wrapping and shipping paper. I find rolls or partial rolls at garage sales for very little, then use it to wrap gifts or mail packages. A few friends have commented on how really strong it is, so a little tape goes a long way!

By Elle from Columbia, MO

A friend gave me a couple of wallpaper sample books. I'm trying to get some crafting ideas for using them. Thank you.

By clutterfree from Charleston, SC

Answers:

Uses For Wallpaper

I used some wallpaper border samples to make this picture. My living room is the Lodge theme and so I have lots of bears throughout it. The border ran horizontally so I put it in a frame and it was not wide enough nor did I have a mat to go behind it so I painted a hunter green stripe horizontally both above and below the border just about 1 inch so it would look good.

I have also used wallpaper samples and cut out the pictures and used them as decoupage on many things. They also make very pretty folding fans. Or to cover smaller boxes to stack. Not to mention the beautiful greeting cards or envelopes that they can be used to make. And my favorite would be to cover lamp shades because you can cut out just sections of the picture so the light shines through and it appears 3D on the outside like the dragon flies on the design, etc. (05/13/2009)

By theseamstress

RE: Uses For Wallpaper

Uses For Wallpaper

Line your dresser drawers (cut to fit) or back of a plain bookcase using double sided tape. My favourite use is for a unique card/gift. I made a pattern of a cup and saucer and teapot to the size I wanted. I used a coloring book picture for both. Cut two of the shape. If it is prepasted wallpaper, dampen a little of the bottom and sides of one piece. Stick a second cutout on top, wrong sides together. Let dry. If not prepasted, use a thin line of glue right near the edges. Draw on details with markers or pencil crayons. Add embellishments if you like, but do it on both sides. Insert a teabag (wrapped with string on it is best) inside the pocket. Then add a tag (I put mine right on the shape with this poem: Although I cannot sit awhile and have some tea with you. Use this gift to make some tea and think of me. (05/14/2009)

By thriftmeg

RE: Uses For Wallpaper

Uses For Wallpaper

We used the wallpaper samples to make bookmarks. We used the scissors that make fancy edges to make them cute and different. This was very easy. The kids made lots of them. We took them to a nursing home where they were put on each person's dinner tray. They were a big hit! Most everybody there was reading something, and could use a bookmark.

Cut 2 of them, place a 6 inch piece of very thin satin ribbon between the 2 pieces, at the top. Use a glue stick to put the 2 pieces together. For Father's Day at the nursing home, use the patterns with ducks, fish, and other masculine looking papers. We discovered that the men rarely get little "token" gifts. So they really appreciated it.
(05/14/2009)

By Barb in TN

Uses For Wallpaper

You can make picture frames using corrugated cardboard (to give some padding and "thickness") from boxes, and scraps of wallpaper or wrapping paper. Then add a simple hinged stand at the back and you're away! Very effective and very simple to make. Florist's paper also works well. (05/14/2009)

By morteenr

Uses For Wallpaper

Another idea is to save cylindrical plastic and cardboard food containers and cover them to match the lid colours and you soon have a matching or coordinating set of storage canisters. Use for children's tiny toy pieces or in the kitchen or sewing room, wherever. (05/14/2009)

By morteenr

Uses For Wallpaper

When the girls were young, I used wall paper samples and collaged their bedroom ceiling with them. The girls are now 41 and 36 and still talk about being sent to their room and laying on their bed looking at the pictures. Their kids want to know why they didn't ever get something like that in their rooms! Difference of incomes I guess. Besides that, their rooms have things like TVs, stereos, computers, etc. (05/15/2009)

By ksallen

RE: Uses For Wallpaper

Uses For Wallpaper

Cover some old books with them for decorating a book shelf or cover an old binder for a nice photo book. (05/17/2009)

By SusLuvsVintage

Uses For Wallpaper

I used wallpaper as wrapping paper. I have often gone to a wallpaper store and purchased end rolls with neutral colours and used them to wrap gifts. It is much more cost effective than purchasing wrapping paper. (07/05/2009)

By Linda from Denmark

Here are some uses for partial rolls of wallpaper from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own ideas here.

Wrapping Paper

I use wallpaper as wrapping paper all the time. You will be surprised how many compliments you receive when you do this!

By Sandy

Decorate Planters Or Bowls

I get the outdated books from the stores and use the pre pasted pages to make plant pot covers or bowls. Pick two pages, soak in water for a few minutes. then put wrong sides together. Then just wrap them up around a plant pot and let dry. When you're finished, you have very dressy covers for your otherwise plain plant pots, or you can take them off the pots and use them as decorative bowls for the table or the vanity. You can also use to fill with candies, cookies, etc. and give to a friend or teacher.

By Roberta

Scrapbooking Uses

I have a half-dozen out-dated wall paper sample books. I use the pages for the back ground for scrap booking pages. They work great. I also make sturdy "fancy" envelopes out of them for special occasions.

By MamaJude

Frame As Wall Art

I have framed small pieces that coordinated with my wall color, especially when it is an all over print. I have done the same with fabric, just painted the frames to match my trim (which is atrium white) and framed pieces of material in an all over pattern. Wallpaper can also be used as matting for framing pictures. I have even used the leftover paper when I redid my craft room (only wallpapered halfway up the wall and put a wood border painted to coordinate with the stripes around the top where it was uneven) and covered small shelves with it and then painted the edging to match.

By LI Roe

Cover Shoe Boxes

I take shoe boxes and cover them with wall paper or fabric. Then I have some nice places to keep my shoes rather than scattered on the closet floor.

By Ella

Greeting Cards and Other Ideas

Don't even get me started. Use a glue stick and line a pretty piece with construction paper and make a homemade card. Cut out pretty designs and make lovely decoupage pieces. Use cutout pieces to make a faux mosaic tabletop. Book covers for worn paperback cookbooks. Cover the light switch plates in your house with coordinating patterns in every room.

Cut two large pieces and place with the backs facing each other and laminate with clear contact paper for "designer place mats". Same technique as above but cut smaller, punch a hole in the top and add a piece of yarn with a tassel for a bookmark (makes great gifts). Make a wonderful collage on a plain chest or trunk. Cut into the shapes called for in your favorite patchwork pattern for a wonderful "quilt-top" for a chest or flat top trunk.

By cjgeo

Go to wallpaper shops and ask for the outdated samples. You can make lovely greeting cards and stationary from them. You can also line drawers or shelves with wallpaper.

Blank Side For Children's Artwork

I buy old rolls of wallpaper and let the children draw on the "plain" side. It works out cheaper than buying proper paper for them to paint and color on.

Answers:

Uses For Wallpaper

My mom uses leftover wallpaper to line her drawers. (05/07/2007)

By ryanjg8

Uses For Wallpaper

Recycle a family size detergent box and cover it with wallpaper. Use this box to hold recipes, children's art work, bills, photographs, etc. To embellish the plastic handle, wrap with ribbon and tie a bow at each end of the handle.
(07/06/2007)

By WandaJo