Uses for Wallpaper Books

Category Other
Wallpaper sample books have many beautiful and sturdy samples that can be used in crafts. This is a guide about uses for wallpaper books.

Does anyone have any ideas for using discarded wallpaper books?

Snipper

Old discontinued wallpaper books are usually given away by the wallpaper/painting stores once they have "expired". Some stores give them away to anyone once every 6 months and some stores only to daycares to use for crafts. I will ask for them for a girlfriend who has a daycare but before the kids get it I will go through the books and remove a page here and there and whatever I do not like or think I will use then goes to the kids.

The wallpaper books have samples of the different wallpapers with sets of paper that match. These sets are great when making homemade cards. Then you use 2 or 3 different patterns on the front of the card you are wanting to use colors and patterns that look good together. You get lots of different textures and patterns in each book. The wallpaper books also come in different themes; for example I use the baby book for making baby cards.

The wallpaper books also have thick high glossy pages in them with wonderful color pictures showing rooms that have used wallpaper somewhere in them. The pictures of baby rooms, I have cut out, and used that picture as the front of the homemade card to go along with a baby gift. Pictures taken in kitchens or bathrooms are great for the fronts of cards that will be bridal or wedding shower gift cards or housewarming gift cards.

Wallpaper books for guys? Use for birthday cards, paper with cars, tools, nautical, brown tones, etc. can all be used.

I usually go through the book, rip out the pages that I like the patterns of and then "file" them in a large box by the color and in some cases the theme, baby or guys patterns. This way I have paper available at my fingertips, in the right color or theme, when I need to make a card now. Plus why store all those books?

I think that the paper from the old books is wonderful to use, comes in lots of textures and colors, is easy to obtain and usually free. Some stores do charge a couple bucks for the book but when you compare that to buying only a few pieces of paper at Michael's or your local craft store, the textured paper is soooo much more expensive . You are "crazy" not to try old wallpaper books.

Valleyrimgirl

Answers:

Discontinued Wallpaper Books For Crafts

Valleyrimgirl, you can also use the books for scrapbooking paper, I like your idea of the cards also. I also responded to your post on my wood stove regarding Jamie, she lives close to where I live and have all her books also. (04/25/2005)

By Phyllis Powell

Discontinued Wallpaper Books For Crafts

Phyllis,

I do not use the wallpaper for my scrapbooking because the wallpaper is not acid free. I also do not know what the coating is on the back of the wallpaper, a glue of some sort, also probably not acid free.

Have you ever taken classes with Jamie? I'd love the opportunity to do so but too far away. (04/26/2005)

By brenda newton

Discontinued Wallpaper Books For Crafts

Vlleyrimgirl,

I have taken a class from Jamie, she doesn't teach a regular class anymore, just workshops. She is to busy doing her books and patterns. I also don't use the wallpaper to put my pictures on, just for decoration, and probably shouldn't do that either but just do it for fun. (04/26/2005)

By Phyllis Powell