Uses for Pine-Sol

Pine-Sol
A strong smelling cleaning agent that has been manufactured since 1929. It is effective for a variety of jobs. This guide contains uses for Pine-Sol.

Keep a spray bottle of half Pinesol/half water under your sink spray outside garbage cans or anywhere you have a pest problem. Animals like rodents, opossums, raccoons, etc. don't like the smell.

I was just on my way to buy another expensive bottle of Critter Ridder. Thanks for the tip and the savings.

I had a problem with our cats wetting in places other than their litter box. I found out if I wash the floor with PineSol they would stay away from that spot. They soon went back to the box where they were suppose to be using.

By Connie

Be careful using Pinesol around your cats - the pine oil is toxic to cats.

Karen is correct. Pinesol is HIGHLY TOXIC and will kill your cats. Please do not ever use that.They will get it on their paws and lick it when cleaning themselves. My friend was mopping her floor and the exact thing happened (she thought her floor was dry). It was immediately fatal. I use all non-toxic cleaning products because you just never know. I would suggest, vinegar in your situation. Read the labels - common sense should tell you. If your child got into the bottle obviously she would be taken to the hospital, your pets are the same way.

ive used windex. it not only cleans the spot but she hates to even get near the smell, let along get it on her paws...she stays very far from the area!

I'm not customarily a "me too" poster, but I can't emphasize how important it is to GET RID OF THE PINE-SOL. I do not use it in my three-cat household because it is LETHAL to cats!

I use two products in my home: Simple Green and Simple Solution. Simple Green (see http://consumer … ons_prod_ori.php) is a relatively non-toxic cleaner that has replaced nearly all my other cleaners. Simple Solution is an enzyme-based urine odor remover (see http://www.bram … ain&odor.htm). I buy Simple Green in a gallon container (lasts forever, as it's a concentrate) at Sam's Club, and Simple Solution (also in a gallon container of concentrate) at a local farm and pet supply store. Both can be ordered over the Web if you can't find them locally. Simple Solution will even remove urine odor from mattresses and furniture. I bought a package of empty heavy-duty spray bottles at Sam's to dispense the diluted cleaners.

I mix 1 part Simple Green, 1 part Simple Solution, and 8 parts water in a spray bottle. I use this to clean the floor where the cat has urinated. Even though both products are considered non-toxic, I rinse the area afterwards just to be safe. One of my cats has kidney disease and I am careful to avoid exposing him to any chemicals, even those considered non-toxic.

Both products are inexpensive when purchased in gallon containers; I only have to buy them every year or so, as when diluted with water they make gallons of solution. Smaller containers of these products are available, but they work out a bit more expensive per ounce. If you don't mind the expense, the Simple Solution folks make a whole range of cleaners/deodorizers for different surfaces, including disposable wipes and specialty sprays.

The only other household cleaner I use is bleach when I need a disinfectant or heavy-duty stain remover, and I'm careful to dilute that well (1 part bleach, 9 parts water) and rinse up any residue. The Simple Green folks also make their own antibacterial surface cleaner; I use bleach because it costs less. Both the Simple Green and Simple Solution manufacturers offer a large line of cleaning products that are safe to use around pets, but I personally make it a rule to rinse after using any cleaner.

It goes without saying, but don't mix bleach with any cleaner containing ammonia, or the fumes could kill you. It's safest never to mix any cleaners, though the Simple Green and Simple Solution together are OK. Both highly recommended for households with pets or toddlers.

can you use pine sol on a rug?

PINE SOL can be LETHAL to felines. Anything ending in "sol" contains phenol which can cause instant liver damage to a cat. That is why animal shelters & sanctuaries ban these products. If you have cats, please don't use pine solo lysol or you both might be SOL.

Rita Wood, Founder

PurrEver Ranch

www.purreveranch.org

I call BS. Cat's and pine oil have been living on the same planet for thousands of years and cats aren't dropping dead. I've seen cats drinking water from under the christmas tree for all my life. One of our cats climbs the tree and eats the needles.

If Pinesol keeps the cat from peeing on the floor, use it!!!!

In reply to the Post By doe

It is the phenol in pine-sol not pine from pine trees as you are thinking. I found out today the nastiness of pine sol and pets when my dog started having seizures. He had one before, about eight months ago. Both episodes were when I was mopping the floor with pine sol.

First off, if the pinesol works, use it. Second, to the person that said mixing bleach with ammonia, the fumes will kill you? Hardly. it will make you cough and you will get runny eyes. It's prolonged exposure that will kill you. I don't know about you, but I don't know any people that will willingly sit while coughing and they can't see.

As for the pinesol, again, if it works. I don't see how buying simple green, mixing with water, diluting again, having a super detailed strict guidelines house is going to be practical. Maybe if I didn't have a job and could devote all my time to conquering those pesky germs.

Side note, germs are what keep us humans alive. try eating without your mouth/digestive system sometime, let me know how it works out.

Editor's Note: Mixing bleach and ammonia is not a good thing. Here's information about it in a .pdf file:

http://www.doh. … ctsheet-2005.pdf

On Sunday, my 'stupid' dog took a 'sip' of water & pinesol. I say 'stupid', because out of the corner of my eye, I saw him do it and said 'oh, you 'stupid' dog, I hope that tastes good'. About an hour later, he was shaking his head and I thought he had something in his ear, which I forgot to look at, then when I called him, he came towards me with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth (not normal for this dog), and it was bright red. I thought he had cut it or something, but it was just red. At 7ish PM Sunday night, he had a full blown grand mal seizure, which lasted 7-10 minutes and then he was 'out of it and not knowing me' for about 10 to 14 minutes. This is a breed that is known to have epilepsy and so you do everything possible to avoid that in your pedigrees. I did, but more importantly, this dog is going 6 in May of '08 and has never been sick a day in his life and epilepsy usually takes form before the dog is 5.

They always always say something happens for a reason.....on the Monday, I got a whiff of the pinesol smelling mop, and it triggered the incident of him getting a mouthful. I did a Google search for pine sol seizures, and landed on this website and others which clearly specify that pinesol can cause seizures in dogs.

Does anyone else have more information? I took him to my clinic for an evaluation and am having urine tested as I read somewhere that phenol can be traced 1-2 days in the urine of an affected dog. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as this dog is my late husband's dog and one of the links I have to him some 3 years later. Thanks in advance....cheerfully (but not so)....lad

Private responses if you wish to s ett er s @ sha w. c a

Save on window cleaners and paper towels. Mix Pinesol (or any nonabrasive cleaner) in a bucket of water and use a rag to wash your window and another rag to wipe it clean. Works great!

By Mikilittle from Anywhere, USA

After cleaning your home, you want it to smell clean. If you don't have anything else, use scented Pinesol. In a small unused pot, dilute with water and simmer. It makes the whole house smell good and it's cheaper than expensive oils, etc. You can also use it in a warmer.

By Kimery from Hampton, GA

I know I recently posted a request about my dogs fleas but now they are worse! She keeps scratching her neck and now she's bald there! Can I use pine-sol on her? I have heard many different responses to this! Please help, thanx!

Emily from TX

Editor's Note: Pinesol is toxic to pets, even using it on your floors is considered a hazard by some. Never use it on your dog.

i bathe my puppy in dawn then dry him rub tea tree oil on him rub it in good

pine sol would probibly burn your dog's skin. You say she's scratching her neck raw. First are you sure she has fleas ( have you seen them), because there are other reasons (ex: nerve condition) than fleas that cause a dog to scratch.

If it is fleas you might try giving her garlic oil (5000mg.) softgel capsules daily. I used to have problems with fleas too. I haven't had any problem in years now.

You can get them at the grocery store, drug store or order them on the internet from 'Vitamin World'.

You'll probably have to give them for a week or two before you really see a difference.

How it works is once it gets into her system some of the smell comes out on her skin ( the fleas can smell it, but you won't) The fleas don't like it and go away.

I know it sounds strange, but my dogs have been free of fleas for years.

note: after the first week it might be a good idea to give her a good shampoo to get rid of any eggs or dead flea residue.

DAWN dish detergent, but it has to be the BLUE kind of DAWN will kill the fleas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bathe the dog, rinse completely and bathe and rinse her again and ...no more fleas!

Is she an inside dog? If so, you will have to use a flea bomb to kill them and their eggs in the house!

Keep us posted!

Please take your dog to your vet and have him or her dipped for fleas! Then use Frontline. You can get it from you vet. It goes on the back of the dog's neck and gets applied once a month. It's easy to use and your dog will be flea free. Also, have your house professionally exterminated! I really do understand what it's like to be tight on money and yet needing to tend to a problem with a pet. Even though you are trying to do some of the cheaper, easier things, please take my word for it: they WON'T work!!! This is the ONLY way to get rid of the fleas. I know it costs money, but if you keep using ideas that don't work, they cost money, too, and without being effective! It makes a lot more sense to just get things professionally treated. Also, your dog's health hangs in the balance as well. The longer he has fleas, the more compromised his health will become. Please do NOT do the garlic or brewer's yeast remedies. They absolutely do NOT work. Good luck!

I think frontline is the best,you can purchase it from the vet or online.

GO TO YOUR VET! FRUGAL IS GREAT BUT IT'S TIME FOR A TRIP TO THE VET!!!! Scrimp when you must, but your dog is a living thing, deserving of REAL HELP. This is one of those medical emergencies when you need to get her to the vet.

When you vacuum, put two mothballs into the vac bag, so that fleas will die in there instead of crawling back out. Good luck, hope she's better fast!

Do NOT use Pine Sol on your dog! Take your dog to the vet immediately! Get your dog dipped and then get Frontline to put on the dog once a month! These so-called home remedies do NOT work! Don't waste your money on silly stuff and above all, DON'T risk your dog's health!

Don't take chances, with a pet! Get a product, from

your vet, that is approved, for the special need.

Over the counter products and home remedies

often cause horrible reactions - sometimes death -

in pets.

See a vet and get the proper medication!

How do you know it is fleas? It could be ringworm or another skin condition.

It if is fleas, a simple application of ADVANTAGE or similar product will get rid of them.

Please do not rub Tea Tree oil on your dog after bathing, as one poster suggested. My teenager uses Tea Tree Oil nightly for slight acne. One night our Yorkshire Terrier went in for hugs and kisses and rubbed against her face - he was in pain. The Tea Tree Oil burnt his skin, eyes, nose, etc.

this is all very good advice...true you need PROFESSIONAL flea medication and/or advice.

Please, please do not skimp on your animal and hopefully...everyone out there reading these postings may consider this....if you can not afford vet bills, consider getting a goldfish, please.,Our animals deserve good care

I heard that when a dog has flee's usually they also have worms. I'm not sure if this is the case in your situation, your dog could also be allergic to the flee bites and that's why his neck is raw and lost his hair. You should really take your pet the the vet. Never use chemicals on your pet. Bring a stool sample with you so it can be tested. The dawn treatment I heard about, but I would rinse the dog really well and then use a soothing aloe condition so the dogs remaining hair and skin will not dry out. Good luck to you, hope this information helped.

Give your dog powdered brewers yeast with its food.

Two teaspoons for a large dog and much smaller dose say 1/2 tsp. for a small dog. Also make some strong tea and bathe your dog in the tea starting with the head so the fleas do not get into the ears. Tea solution is healing and does not hurt the eyes

I have lived all my life with dogs and only recently moved to a place where there are fleas. Had never even seen them up till now.

One of the first things I discovered was that vet provided remedies are somewhat toxic. Well they have to be if they are going to kill the fleas and discourage new ones. Even flea collars have a certain amount of toxicity.

So I tried every gentle home remedy I could find. Borax, essential oils, garlic, Dawn, shampoos etc. But my dogs continued to scratch and were miserable.

So I finally went to the vet and got the stuff that works.

Yes, it is still toxic but I accept the tradeoff and my dogs are a lot more comfortable. I do take extra care to see that my dogs have as good nutrition as possible so that their body's natural cleansing system can rid itself of the toxins.

FIRST AND FOREMOST---NEVER EVER USE A CLEANING PRODUCT ON ANY PET. YOU COULD KILL THEM.

If you can find flea killing powder, put it down and follow the directions on the product.

Next, take the dog out for the day, preferably for a flea dip, and have someone vacuum your rugs, furniture, strip your beds down to the mattress and vacuum those too. ( then throw away the bag, not in the house, but in the dumpsters, or far away from the home. Then have your non carpet floors mopped. I use vinegar and *HOT* water. Non toxic and the smell fades.

THEN shampoo all carpets, moving the furniture, cabinets, beds, bookshelves...this can be done professionally, if you have the money, or you can rent a steamer from a grocery store for around 20 dollars (or that is about what it cost here). Get the heavy duty shampoo for the carpet. All this has to be done straight away. Waiting will just not work. When this is done, vacuum again with a new bag, or if you have a bagless, make sure you empty it in a dumpster outside the house. Thoroughly wash out the cup with hot water and vinegar, making sure the cup is completely dry before putting it back.

I would also shampoo the couches. I would wash bed linen (the dog's and yours) in HOT water with bleach, or colour safe bleach.

Fleas are blood suckers. In any quanity, they can do harm to your pet. In great quanities, they can suck the life right out of your pet.

I hear buying Frontline (for pets) online is cheaper than at the vet's office. I would also find a vet you trust and ask if there is any herbal, or non toxic remedies that you can do to keep the fleas away. If you do not think you would get a straight answer from the vet, or he wants to sell you an ultra expensive product, try asking shops that sell natural remedies.

I wish you good luck. For something not even long as a hangnail, those buggers can sure be a huge pain. Keep us update on what you have tried, what worked and what did not.

*peace*

Just a piece of personal advice: I'd spend the extra money to get things done professionally. Fleas multiply at an alarming rate, and if you see one, it is a safe bet it has dozens and dozens of hidden companions you won't see, but feel...I'd rather spend the money now to know 100% I solved the problem, than to spend only a few and not be entirely sure....JMHO.

I have not used pine sol on my animals yet ,But I have cleaned there kennels with A cloth i dipped in pine sol and it was covered with dead fles and the next day I did the same thing and there were dead ticks also . I've sprayed A light mist on my carpets around there kennels (Their bedrooms:})All my animals are inside .Only go out to potty and come right back in doors.I've spent much money on the frontline ,frontline plus etc. from vet and online NEVER worked !!!!!! Borax for my floors left it down 2 days and hey lots of dead fleas came up from my carpet.I have A lab mix puppy ,shi tzu 1 year and A himalayan Cat .The cat has more hair than both my dogs and has never gone outside .But he is the one who gets the most fleas.He is now on iron because of the fleas they ate up his Blood !!! So that's where I am right now ,Cat goes back to vet monday to have his teeth cleaned and A flea dip . Anyway Good Luck .I live in Ga CAN'T WAIT FOR WINTER LOL

White Ivory dish soap is more gentle than Dawn, no slight to the Dawn manufacturers intended.

Tea Tree Oil can be toxic if you apply too much. How much is too much? I don't really know, but if you feel compelled to use it, I would put about a dime size amount in your hands, rub them together and then pet your dog. I wouldn't use it like this more than once a week after bathing. Tea tree oil is a natural antibiotic, but it can sting like all get out on raw skin.

Advantage seems to do a pretty good job. The water bowl under the nightlight actually works, too. If you have no animals or children who can get into it at night, you might try putting a little dish soap or tea tree oil into the water. Both seem to capture the fleas legs and they drown.

There is a hydrocortisone shampoo and topical cream especially for dogs that might help the miserable itch.

Nothing compares to veterinary advice though.

Good luck.

Pine sol is toxic to cats and probably not good for dogs.

The Pine oil in the product is the toxic part

1. I have used a diluted pine sol solution on my pets for years. I also mop my floor with pine sol solution. In 1984, I went to Philadelphia, Pa to pick up a German shepherd. She was 1 1/2 years old. I stayed with the family when she was a puppy. After a bitter divorce, the wife contacted me to say I could have the pet. When I got there she was not in the backyard. I went to the front porch (where we sat many of hours). I called her name. She came running, jumping the rails that connected the row houses. When she reached me, I petted her from head to toe. She was FULL of ticks. FULL! I mixed a gallon jug with 1/16 pine sol solution and the rest with warm water. I started sponging the solution around her face, eyes and ears.

This is where the fleas run to when a solution is applied. A friend of mine poured the solution down along her spine as I massaged the solution through her coat. The final stages was the tail and legs. During this time, she stayed still. Ticks began dropping off of her. Literally. The ones that were still alive, we stepped on. You could hear them pop. I let the solution stay on for about five to seven minutes then rinsed her with warm water. Princess lived with me for five years afterwards until her death.

2. Garlic is very, very. very effective. I use the dried solution, putting it inside my dogs and cat food daily.

3. I have heard that DAWN (Blue Solution) works against fleas. I have not had the opportunity to try it.

3. I have read the previous posts and ask: You state pine sol is toxic. Where is your evidence? What are the adverse actions from using a diluted pine sol solution? Hmmm?

4. Back in the day, hunting dogs were spayed or neutered by the owner. It this also too old a remedy for our society today?

I await your response.

When you get tired of fleas. 1st: vacuum and wash everything. 2nd: spray everything with Viper. 3rd: wash dog with pinesol starting around the eyes and ears. Repeat once a week for one month. 4th: start dog on frontline.

Pine sol is a toxin and should never be used on your pet. If you have been battling fleas and no other approved products have worked try Comfortis. It is a new flea product you can get at your Vets Office and it works wonders. It is an oral tablet given once a month that controls fleas.

I think Pine Sol is sooo strong. I would only bathe a really infested animal in Dawn and water, the blue kind and leave it on a couple of minutes before rinsing. I have multiple pets so I order frontline online, the spray bottle, and it lasts all summer. No rx needed.

The most effective "bath" is baby shampoo and peroxide to kill fleas. Again leave on a few minutes, and then rinse. Then why dry, apply frontline spray or shoulder treatment.

Salt discourages fleas on carpets, beds, etc. We had fleas last year so bad, that is when I did the frontline spray instead of the shoulder appication.

The vet wanted forty dollars for the spray and I bought it online for 24.00. Hmm.

earthclinic.com has a pet section....very useful info. robyn

I had a very itchy dog and it was not fleas but a skin condition so the vet gave me the equivalent of benydryl and a bottle of fish oil pills to give him every day. They made his coat so pretty and helps with the dry skin. Usually when they are itching, I treat for fleas after a bath and then do the benydryl thing. If it continues, I do the cream treatment, you the cream you put on that is a cortisone cream. Have not had any bad reactions so far between all these therapies. I have not tried the apple cider vinegar in the water bowl yet. Robyn

Always remember if you wouldn't put it on you then don't put it on your pet. I have found that hemaroid medicine is the best all around, It has benzocaine in it and that's what causes the itching to stop. This is good for pets as well as humans, I mentioned it to a doctor, he laughed he said but that it was a great idea to help ease itching of mosquito bites also for humans. My Vet also told me to buy the cheapest flea collars that you can find and place them under the furniture of your house that way they have no place to hide. Sprinkle powder soap on the rugs, sweep it into the rug with a broom. Leave it on for a day or 2 and then vaccum. Fleas eat the soap and can't burp, that's how they die. Hope this helps. I have used this before with no problems.

Is it safe to boil Pine Sol? I will sometimes put a small amount in a big pot of water and boil to give the house a fresh clean smell, is that safe?

By Shortygal from MO

When you mop the kitchen floor with Pine Sol and water, does it disinfect the floor of germs and bacteria?

By jazzy774 from Pasadena, CA

Yes, it is a disinfectant: http://www.pinesol.com/faq.php

"Does Original Pine-Sol® Brand Cleaner disinfect? Yes. Original Pine-Sol® Brand Cleaner is registered with the E.P.A. as a disinfectant when used as directed full-strength. It kills household bacteria on hard non-porous surfaces."

It does kill germs, but also is dangerous if you have pets, especially cats. The Phenol in Pine Sol is harmful and even toxic if they walk across the wet floor, then clean their feet.

I have a Hoover Steamvac and would love to use my Pine-Sol cleaner solution in it. Would this damage the cleaner?

Thanks.

By Betsy S.

Will PineSol hurt my pet dog if sprayed on weeds?

By Lydia from Houston, TX

I sometimes pour a small amount of Pine Sol into my sink drains and toilets when I want the fresh smell of clean and don't actually need to clean or "feel like cleaning"! Anyone visiting will think you've been cleaning all day.

By Michelle from Lanett, AL

Michelle,

What an absolutely brilliant idea! That will last. Although not exactly sure I want people to think I'm cleaning upon their arrival. But those who know me know that's all I ever do anyway!

Jennifer CA