Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Uses for Plastic Jars

So much of our food comes packaged in plastic jars. Rather than tossing them into the trash or even the recycle bin, consider reusing them. This is a guide about uses for plastic jars.

August 10, 2015 Flag

When you clean out a mayo squirt bottle, you get a bank for dimes only. The bigger ones might hold bigger coins, but I don't have one to show you. The mayo with olive oil cleans very easily so that is my recommendation.

N-JOY!!
PBP

Source: Just a thought from using up the last of the mayo!!

Link: N/A

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 22, 2010 Flag

Never buy plastic containers again! I wash and reuse all the larger plastic jars (with plastic screw-on lids) that mayonnaise, peanut butter, and such come in. I use them for freezing soups, sauces, gravies, and any leftovers. They work great! You can also use them when taking food to friends and you don't have to worry about getting your container back. We usually throw them away, but, why not reuse and recycle. The great thing is, they are free!

By Patty from East Peoria, IL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try empty and cleaned pop bottles and milk cartons. Also you can put dry goods (rice, flour, sugar,etc) in them too.

September 14, 2005 Flag

Use clear plastic peanut butter or other food containers for small craft items like glue sticks, buttons, beads, etc. or use them in the garage for screws, nails and other small hardware!

They are free and you are using them again and not sending them into the garbage!

By PatriciaL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I usually use plastic jars when I have a left over food that I want to throw it in a trash can. And I usually used jelly jar for my bacon fat so that it will not clog in my pipes when I'm washing the pan.

Light Jars

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 3

We get the large plastic jars of Cheese Balls. When they are empty, we put the jars to use. These white lights were recycled from last year's Christmas lights.

July 29, 2006 Flag

I love the new oval shaped plastic mayonnaise jars. They have a flip top lid and I don't want to throw mine away. Any ideas on reusing it? (Besides holding craft items.)

Tara from RI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am planning on using one or two for my sons' toys/craft items. Or you could decorate/cover the tops and use them for gift boxes (like to hold soaps and things) or piggy banks.

I'm using mine by filling them up with bulk bought syrup, mollasses, sorgum, honey, etc. I think that they will work much better than what I'm currently using since the top is kind of a "large-squirter".

I buy the huge jars of mayo, and use my small squirt bottle for everyday use. You could do that if its cheaper for you like it is us. If not, clean it out real well and use for dry mixes, maybe instead of having a big box of cereal or oatmeal etc, to get out of the pantry you can grab these small jars, and just refill them when you need to. I do this with coffee cans and just about everything I empty. Just hate to waste by throwing it away. If you have quite a few, just relabel them with a perment marker with whatever you are filling them with.

Thanks for the great ideas. However i don't mean the squirt bottles, i mean the oval shaped plastic mayo container the Kraft mayo comes in now. I do like the dry cereal idea!

I put my flower seeds in them. I save a lot of flower seeds and these jars are just the thing to keep them dry.

We have a big family (5 kids still at home) so I buy the huge jar and refill the small one. I also really like the small oval shaped jar that you are talking about.

OK - here are a few of my ideas.

If you have kids clean up and peel the labels off the jars and use them to store small things, like hair clips, in them. The kids can see what is in there and the opening is big enough the kids can reach their hands in. Also I think they would be great for those little Matchbox type cars. My nephews always had tons of those things.

You could also use them to put pasta in. I buy small packages, since I live alone, at the grocery and you could probably put 2-3 of them in one of the containers and your wouldn't have to chase them down when looking for them AND you have a variety of different pastas on hand.

I think someone already mentioned cereal. You could also put loose crackers in them. I know sometimes I buy crackers that aren't in the individual sleeves. I would think the jars would be great for them.

Oh yeah - and pickles. I would think it would be much easier to get them out of the mayo jar with the larger opening.

You could also use them like if you do cross-stitching or something like that. You could put all of your thread, needles and scissors in one jar and take it with you, or at least have it all in one place, if you wanted to. Same goes for beading projects.

Maybe you could put some pretty shells or rocks in them and display them.

OK - I think that is all the ideas I have for right now. Hope this helps.

Tonya

I am looking for a source of empty mayonnaise jars, the type with the flip top lid that is slotted. We want to use them to collect coins like a piggy bank. Anyone know where I could find a source for bulk amounts?

Better Living Green Living ReusingJanuary 26, 2013
Uses for Baby Food Jars, Three Jars Full of Baby Food
Uses for Baby Food Jars
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Plastic Lid Photo Ornament
Uses for Plastic Lids
Felt covered bottle cap becomes Easter bonnet.
Craft Uses for Plastic Bottle Caps
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 7:28:56 AM on 10.0.0.78 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.