Reuse Plastic Jars for Freezing Food

Never buy plastic containers again! I wash and reuse all the larger plastic jars (with plastic screw-on lids) that mayonnaise, peanut butter, and such come in. I use them for freezing soups, sauces, gravies, and any leftovers. They work great! You can also use them when taking food to friends and you don't have to worry about getting your container back. We usually throw them away, but, why not reuse and recycle. The great thing is, they are free!

By Patty from East Peoria, IL

Anonymous

Unless the recycle number stamped on the bottom of the jar or bottle says #2, #4 or #5 this is not a safe thing to do because the others leach cancer and other disease causing chemicals. Please check the bottom of the jars or bottles you want to reuse and you'll find most are #1 which is one of the worst leaching offenders when reusing for food or beverages :-(

Dear Patti, Your idea is wonderful although, if the containers have the recycle symbol on them they should not be reused because it is unsafe. They are not made to be reused.

Marie

Try empty and cleaned pop bottles and milk cartons. Also you can put dry goods (rice, flour, sugar,etc) in them too.

I keep all the jars and lids. The lids mostly for jar top on mason jars. All kinds of jars not just plastic. I use a plastic jar to hold my extra grocery bags in the emergency kit of the car. If I pump gas or put oil in I use the bags as gloves. Plastic I like better as the breakage is none.