Uses for Zippered Sheet, Blanket and Comforter Bags

Category Reusing
There are many ways to reuse these clear bags for storage. This guide is about uses for zippered sheet, blanket and comforter bags.

At times we buy sheets,shower curtains, or cloth curtains, and most of these items come in very tough little plastic envelopes - some with zippers, some with snaps. I save all of these and use them to store pencils, hosiery, rollers, sewing needs, the list is endless. Because I save all of these, I always have the right size. I place them on a shelf and I can see clearly what I need.

By letageraldine from Tucson, AZ

I use mine for putting things in the car for the kids (crayons, small coloring books, cars, games with small pieces, etc), holding extra items that go together (one was a chair project. I put the staple gun, extra staples, fabric, edging, etc until I was ready to do the project), items that are missing an item. I use a sharpie to note what's still missing (easy to remove with hand sanitizer), things that travel together that contain liquids I do not want all over my suitcase, or undies, bras, socks, headbands, etc., also the small ones (back in the day, I used for tampons, panty liners and maybe an extra pair of undies... just in case... for my purse, lots of uses for them. So glad I looked this up and found a few more.

I always save the clear zippered bags that sheets, comforters, etc. come in to use for storing sweaters in the summer, children's puzzles, toys, heirloom baby clothes, or anything that comes to mind. Great storage for just about anything!

By vguy from Earle, AR

I needed storage for a lot of skeins of yarn after filling a huge tote of them and came across the zippered bags that I had kept for "in case". They worked out well to put the rest of the yarn in and compress down. You can see the colors you have and how much. I use the bags also for storing finished or unfinished projects until I am ready to use or give as gifts or complete.

Save the zippered bags that linens and drapes come in to keep knitting and crocheted projects in that are in various stages of completion. It is easy to see the contents of the bag, unlike a box or other container.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Great idea!! I do this also.

I save the plastic packages that my sheet sets and comforters come in. They have zippers and I use them to store everything from my sewing supplies, laces, fabric, hair rollers and other comforters after I launder them.

Save the zippered plastic bags that bedding and curtains come in to store or organize items. My young grandchildren often need a clean change of clothes when we are on the go.

Ornaments in plastic zipper bag.

Save those sheet zipper bags for storing your Christmas decorations.

I have both a girl and a boy, with lots of toys and a lot of parts. I always save the plastic zip-up tote bags that sheets and comforters come in...

I need some ideas for uses for the plastic bags that drapes and tablecloths come in. They are square and zippered. I have also gotten comforters in them. I do reuse them for storing the comforters but I have found I have a few from drapes and they seem too good to throw away, but I can't think what to do with them.

Thanks,
Timmie from St. Louis, MO

I use mine for when I'm traveling for toiletries and to keep things together in the suitcase like socks, underwear.

I also put shoes in them so the shoes won't get on the clothes.

How about taking them with you to the pool or beach to bring back wet bathing suits and/or towels?

If you don't want those old Nascar cars, I'll take one of the #3 car. How much do you want for one?

Please respond!

hearts1@cox.net

Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how they re-use the packaging that curtains come in? They are thick plastic and have a zipper at the top. I have used the large ones to store blankets and clothing. This time I have small ones (smaller than a sheet of paper). Just looking for ideas and suggestions to spark my own imagination. Thanks.

By khilde80 from SD

Good Idea to use if you carry a diaper bag. Use it to keep clothes dry incase a bottle leaks. Or keep your adult things in like a checkbook, wallet, pocket callendar and pens. When your not using the diaper bag just pull the clear bag out!

I use them all the time. They keep nylons neat, socks, hair stuff, beach items, braclets the big ones, bows, tags, greeting cards, prescriptions, little soaps, open game pieces. pens, markers, crayons. Have fun.

out in RI

I once worked for a company that would not allow us to bring in bag or purses of any kind unless it was clear plastic type. The clear plastic zipper top packages I had also had handles. It came in quite handy. Same thing applied for my daughter. When the schools insisted on clear bags she used one of these bags to keep small things in. For example lip glosses, Student ID card, lunch money.

I have a lot of the small bags that sheets come in from Wal-Mart, they snap and some have elastic. I would like to know if anyone has a craft idea to use them for. They are the ones that the sheet sets or just single sheets are folded tightly in. Any ideas would be appreciated.

By Deborah M

I've used these bags often. What use I get depends on the plastic (soft and pliable or brittle) - if soft and pliable I've used the bags to sew travel grooming/make-up bags, drop-over covers for toiletries in the bathroom, and jewellery bags.

It's easy to cut and sew, I've rarely even needed to use a specialty thread, needle, or presser foot. When I have used specialty, a good heavy duty polyester thread through a jeans needle and a roller or teflon foot makes short work of nice strong seams/topstitching, and keeping seaming even on two layers.

If the plastic is brittle I usually just leave the bag as it came from the shop and use it to store table linens - so easy to stack and keeps the linens clean whilst in the cupboard. Brittle plastic is usually thinner and sewing just causes it to tear.

I reuse bags from Blanket, Sheets and Comforters to store items in my garage. They often are clear which allows you to see what's inside them. They also stack pretty well.

- Al

Answers:

Reuse Sheet, Blanket and Comforter Bags

I also use them at yard sales to put sets of things in like toy sets in and tape the zipper so children cannot separate them, etc. (07/07/2004)

By Tawnda

Plastic Blanket Covers

I save the plastic covers that come with new blankets, down comforters, etc. and use them to store other items. I especially like the fact that they have a zipper.

By Lisa T. (09/30/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Reuse Sheet, Blanket and Comforter Bags

I like to use them to store summer clothes in. They hold a great many summer shirts and calf length pants. (10/07/2004)

By patsAZ

Reuse Sheet, Blanket and Comforter Bags

I recently went camping with our youth group at church and took my 4 yr old girl with us and we packed her entire weekend wardrobe within the see through bag a blanket had come in, and she was able to see it all at once. She chose to use the clear zippered blanket bag over all her more expensive Barbie/Dora and other backpacks. I may put a few cute stickers on it and keep it around awhile! (10/12/2004)

By Juli

Reuse Sheet, Blanket and Comforter Bags

We used to keep our winter emergency kit for the car in one. It made it easy to keep everything together and see what needed to be replaced. (11/18/2004)

By calnorth

I store all my Yorkie's outfits, brush, puppy pads, etc.

I save the clear, zippered bags that so many things come in. I use the smaller ones for my applique projects, the larger one to store my quilt materials.

By Diane

Answers:

Reusing Zippered Bags For Crafts

Those zippered bags are also great for camping trips. I store an outfit for each day in a bag and then I can grab the whole thing on the way to the shower. I also do that for traveling so I don't have to haul a suitcase into the motel every night. The small ones are also great for sample size toiletries to place in each clothing bag. (05/05/2005)

By Annie

Reusing Zippered Bags For Crafts

I use the large ones that comforters come in to store the comforter or other blankets off season. I use the small ones that pillowcases come in to store my ceramic curlers and to carry cosmetics, other small travel items. I carry an empty one for my worn underwear coming back. This is especially good when you need to go through customs- If the inspector can just look into the plastic bags, rather than opening and rummaging around, it's less intrusive and goes faster. (05/09/2005)

By Claudia

Reusing Zippered Bags For Crafts

Since i have been in bad health over the last couple of years I have one bag with "undies" and one bag of toiletries just in case I end up in the hospital and my husband has to bring me different items. Now all he has to do is go to the "hospital" drawer and grab the two little bags and bring them to me. (12/04/2005)

By Starr

Save all of those new clear plastic bedding bags from your holiday gifts. I have done this for years and used them mainly for groups of toys. You could also use them for a number of other things such as; out of season clothing, bedding, kitchen or bath supplies, etc. They are convienient since you can easily see what you are grabbing (especially for children) and they are not as ridged as store-bought plastic containers that take up unused space. Karaof4 from Minnesota

Answers:

Clear Plastic Bedding Bags

I use them all the time as well. Right now I have a small one (from sheets) in the diaper bag holding three 'just in case' sleepers, one pillowcase sized one holding a pair of pj's for my older daughter as well. The plastic is handy in case a bottle or cream leaks, they will be protected. I have different ones holding separate craft supplies for different projects that my daughter works on (she's nearly five). It keeps everything in one place and can easily be packed up again. I have another holding batteries in a drawer. I have two rotating ones filled with CD's for the car, small enough to fit in the console. We have a Rubbermaid box filled with pillowcase sized bags filled with puzzle pieces. I cut the photo of the puzzle out and placed it in the bag with the pieces. Great to store since they take up less room than the boxes and I can grab one to go if we are going to the doctor or visiting. (02/01/2005)

By Alexandra