Using Ammonia to Clean Stains from Carpet

My carpet is really dirty. It is supposed to be cream colored, but it is more like brownish-cream. I have a home carpet cleaner and have used it, but my carpet still looks dirty. I want to try an ammonia solution, but I am not sure? I need some more suggestions to clean the whole carpet.

Kapas from ID

Answers:

No, if I were you that is the wrong thing to use. It will leave a urine smell unless you get it all out. Here is a good thought. Sears, etc. has really good specials this time of year. No, I am not an employee. They will do several rooms for around $75.00 or less and they have a great water extractor system.

It would be a good idea to have a pro do it and then ask them for their advice on home touch-up in between their visits. You might not ever need them after that. Good luck. (12/13/2007)

By MaryBelle

Ammonia may also change the color of your carpet. I wouldn't use it if I were you. Purchase a product that is especially made for carpets. You should be able to get this at any hardware store, but if not, try a place that rents out carpet cleaners. They should sell you the product that they use in their machines. (12/13/2007)

By louel53

I found this tip on another site and thought it would be worth trying as vinegar is good for so many things. Bring out the color in carpet by brushing it with a solution of 1 cup white distilled vinegar for every gallon of water. Always test on an inconspicuous (out-of-sight) part of the carpet beforehand. (12/16/2007)

By carnation037

Using ammonia to clean stains is a last resort, but I do have a formula it is 2 steps: 1 tbsp. ammonia to 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp. colorless dish washing liquid to 1 cup lukewarm water. You will smell the ammonia so I would add a step and use Fabreeze with hot water.

I have found that using 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 hot water takes out most stains plus the vinegar smell goes away when dried. For shampooers use: 1 scoop Oxiclean, 1 cup Fabreeze, 1 cup vinegar and the recommended hot water. Will do a great job. (02/08/2008)

By Trish

Any kind of shaving cream. I use the cheap stuff to clean my carpets and also my running shoes. Try it in an inconspicuous spot first to make sure it wont effect the color of the carpet. (08/27/2008)

By Michele

I make a great general purpose cleaner with ammonia. Put one tbsp (20ml) of ammonia and the same of dishwashing liquid...any dishwashing liquid. I can be the cheapest you can find. Put them in a container and top up to 500mls with water in a spray container. It will clean anything. Benchtops, cooking areas, upholstery, carpets, floors. I make a bottle of undiluted mixture. half a litre of dishwashing to half a litre of ammonia and add 40 ml (2 Tbsp) of that to the 500ml bottle. I squirt it neat into my mopping bucket to do the floors and I also clean my bathrooms with it. I have a spray bottle in the kitchen, one in the laundry and one in each bathroom. You can add a bit of eucalyptus oil to make it smell clean. It beats anything in the shop hands down. It's great in the shower but it will take your breath away. In the shower I use half and half dishwashing liquid and vinegar. It's incredible. :)

Cleaning Toilet With Ammonia
Cleaning With Ammonia
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
Cleaning Carpet
Removing Vomit Stains from Carpet
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Jug of used motor oil.
Removing Motor Oil Stains From Carpet
🎄
🍂