Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Can applesauce be used instead of oil in cake mixes and box brownies? And if so, how much? Thanks!

roseoma3 from Liberal, MO

Answers:

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Thanks to each and every one of you who kindly replied to my query! Will try it and see my results.

Thanks again!
roseoma3 (09/12/2008)

By roseoma3

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

You can use and puree fruit in place of oil (pears, peaches, bananas, etc). I have also been using pureed zucchini, just the white pulp to replace the oil and milk in recipes. I sometimes add a bit of water to thin it out for replacing the milk. Doesn't change the taste and makes it a bit denser, but oh so good. Made pancakes the other night using the pureed zucchini for the oil & milk then put the batter about 1/4 inch thick, into a well greased cast iron fry pan, put chopped apple on top and cinnamon sugar, cooked on one side until ready to turn, cook another minute or two and they were delicious and hearty. (09/15/2008)

By Anna from Maine

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I also use mayo, and they are very soft (09/16/2008)

By church1040

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Hi, one more to add to your list. I use the cinnamon flavor applesauce in chocolate cakes/brownies. It adds a little "something" else to flavor. (Same amount of measurement as oil) (09/16/2008)

By Pat @ PA

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

Yes, it does work on all baked goods (but not pie crust, for me anyway), even biscuits, muffins and such. You use equal measurements. If cake calls for half a cup of shortening, I use half a cup of applesauce. Though I do remove about 1-2 Tbsp of apple sauce and add the shortening. It keeps the texture right.

Happy baking. (09/16/2008)

By Lori

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I'm doing a school science project on this. I am going to bake a batch of cupcakes the normal way and another with some sugar-free applesauce. I'm going to bring the two batches in for my classmates to taste and I will then survey them to see if they look different, taste different, and even smell different. I hope I get an "A". Maybe when I'm done, I'll post my results and a picture. (12/08/2008)

By skittle60920

Using Applesauce Instead of Oil

I tried it and loved it. (02/16/2009)

By Paige D.

Applesauce with Pork Roast
Recipes Using Applesauce
Applesauce
Applesauce Bar Recipes
Canning Applesauce
Canning Applesauce
Applesauce Raisin Cake with Butter Cream Icing
Applesauce Raisin Cake Recipe
🎉
🎄