Making Healthy Applesauce Oat Muffins
Applesauce is a perfect addition to any muffin recipe, allowing less oil to be used. Combining them with oats makes a hearty breakfast option for busy families. This guide contains a recipe for making healthy applesauce oat muffins
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Delicious, healthy, easy to prepare muffins that can freeze well. What more could you want?
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (not quick)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar (I used half the amount of Truvia brown sugar blend)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup craisins or raisins, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin tins, or grease them.
- In one bowl, combine the oatmeal, applesauce, milk, egg, vanilla, butter and the sugar.
- In a larger bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and raisins, if using.
- Make a well in the center and add the applesauce mixture. Mix just until blended.
- Divide evenly in the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake 15-20 minutes. Don't overbake.
- Cool on wire racks.