Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using Essential Oils

Essential oils can be used in making many products for your home and personal care. This is a guide about using essential oils.

March 5, 2011 Flag

For insect repellent, essential oils such as clover, citronella, eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender, cedar and lemon grass repel bugs naturally. In a spray bottle, combine 1 1/2 tsp. essential oils per cup of vodka. Apply jojoba oil or almond oil to skin before spraying.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

I certainly hope that this formula does repel mosquitoes because we have them so badly in our area that they make being outdoors miserable. We have two seasons where I live (SE New Brunswick): winter & mosquito. I guess if the mosquitoes aren't repelled I can ingest some of the vodka to alleviate my suffering and maybe get the little buggers so intoxicated that they go away to sleep it off!

July 26, 2011 Flag

Instead of spending good money on expensive insect repellent, dab a few drops of tea tree oil on most of your pulse-points like your wrists, behind the ears and knees. Don't forget to dab a drop atop of your cleavage, ladies!

I have used this for years as a repellent and if you forget to use it, it will also heal bad insect bites. I personally love the smell too.

By Jeta from Cumbria, UK

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm sure you all know to keep it (and you wearing it) far away from cats and some dogs. It's been known to cause seizures and sometimes death.

August 2, 2010 Flag

For a spa-like atmosphere in the shower, place a few drops of essential oil on the wall of the shower or tub surround. Do this before turning the water on. It is a simple pleasure I appreciate.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Good idea but make sure none gets in the tub or shower stall. I put bath oil on my legs once while still in the tub and slid nearly injuring myself, Then another time I washed hair conditioner from my hair in the tub and it too was slick and I nearly fell. Two lessons learned.

February 24, 2010 Flag

Instead of buying potpourri to use in sachets for drawers, use fragranced sewn or knitted ornaments, etc. Just put a few drops of essential oil of your choice onto some cotton or wool, and place or sew it inside the item.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 12, 2014 Flag

Lavender Essential Oil

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using lavender essential oil. A fragrant oil made from lavender flowers that has been used in perfumes and for medicinal purposes for thousands of years.

March 13, 2007 Flag

Where is the best place to get essential oils? And can anyone tell me a little about there use?

Thanks,
Denise from Mcrae, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I buy essential oils at www.craftybubbles.com for $1 each. They are about $5 each locally, so it's worth it for me. How are they used? For us, I use them to scent homemade laundry detergent and cleaners, as a fragrance when I'm vacuuming my carpets to freshen the air. They are supposed to be used for a variety of things, I use the lavendar for scent as well as antibacterial/antiseptic properties.

I swear by Corn Huskers Lotion and Bag Balm for cracked skin. Both are fairly inexpensive. You can still find Corn Huskers at most drug stores, and Bag Balm can be found at most feed and seed stores, also mail order through Vermont Country Store and Lehmans.

With respect to essential oils...this truly is one place you don't want to scrimp. You get what you pay for. Also, essential oils are concentrated and NOT food grade products. DO NOT ingest them or feed them to your pets. I also don't reccomend putting them on your pets skin or fur, especially cats since they groom heavily. Just my personal opinion.

I got some oils for soap but they work great on skin to at "Michael's" for $2.99(Can.). Like these aren't essential oils but they're the same but cheaper.

February 25, 2007 Flag

What oils can I use to prevent bug bites?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use Skin So Soft bath oil also. I put some in a small spray bottle and keep it handy. Works great and smells better than repellants and surely is better for my skin.

Actually regular baby oil will do the same thing as Skin So Soft. Avon just doesn't want you to know this.

You can dab a small amount of lavender essential oil on ankles, wrists and I believe this keeps them away I am going to Turkey this year and get bitten terrible I have had all the sprays known under the sun but don't work so try this let us know how you go on. helen xx

June 20, 2011 Flag

What is citric essential oil and where can I purchase this? Will it hurt my plants?

By Andy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Essential oils are used in perfumes. They are also used in bath and body products such as bath salts and also salt and sugar scrubs. You should not pour it directly on your skin and it is not a food product. It is used as a fragrance only. Massage oils can be used on the skin. I don't understand your second question on whether it will hurt your plants. I recently made some of my own bath salts and used lavender essential oil as a fragrance. It is very pungent and one drop goes a long way.

Here are two websites where you can buy essential oils:

http://www.puri  -oils-679?Mcat=0

http://www.peak  grance-Oils.aspx

As a straight answer about your plants, don't use it on your plants. It is oil based.

Citric essential oil, is Lemon essential oil, which can be used in perfume but as well, ONE single drop in a glass of warm water can be used as a mouth wash as it is a natural and very effective antiseptic.

June 20, 2007 Flag

I make my own laundry detergent, what can I use to scent the liquid detergent besides essential oil as essential oils tend to make me ill? Can anyone tell me what I can use to scent my detergent and maybe an exact website to order the oils from?

Donna from Sweetwater

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

this is the recipe that i use. it is the best one i have tried so far.. i did not originally make up this recipe, another member did and i just copied it. good luck with it

Liquid Laundry Detergent

3 Pints Water

1/3 Bar Fels Naptha or Ivory Soap, Grated

1/2 Cup Washing Soda

1/2 Cup Borax

Bucket

4 Quarts + 1 Pint Boiling/Hot Water

optional: 15 drops Lavender Essential Oil (or whatever EO you prefer)

optional: 10 drops Tea Tree Oil

Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints of water, and heat until dissolved. Stir in Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 quart hot water to bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Add another 2 quarts boiling hot water and 1 additional quart plus 1 pint hot water and mix well. If using essential oils, add these now. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.

If essential oils make you ill (I can relate), try boiling several lemon rinds in the water before you add it to your soap mixture. Try to scrape most of the pith out first. I do this to freshen my kitchen. You could even wrap them in cheesecloth so it would be easy to pull them out before using the water. You could probably use any citrus you prefer, but I would be afraid orange would stain the laundry.

I make this homemade laundry detergent. The lady I bought the soap from made it herself. She scented the bar of soap with tide brand essential oil. I cannot find this oil anywhere!

March 5, 2010 Flag

I went on holiday to Turkey last September. I bought some essential oils from a shop that was recommended. The problem is I have lost the translation for them even though the shopkeeper was English.

If I give a list of them could anyone please help. They are Esansi Nane Havuc Gul Yagi. I found them still in my suitcase just this morning. Hope I have gotten the right name for these oils.

Many thanks.

By Helen from U.K

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You might try the Google translator...it is sup to be the best of the online ones:

http://translate.google.com/

...select from Turkish to English

Esansi Nane Havuc Gul Yagi (is that one phrase or sep words?)

...comes up as...

Carrot Essence Peppermint Gul Yagi

or try typing the info into the reg google.com search box to see what comes up. Often there will be a link to the right saying 'translate this page'.

This first link is for a Turkish perfume company. There is a contact postal address and a contact name and email address. They might be your best bet to find out the translation:

http://www.abou  /TopTaneSans.com

This second link is a free online translation service for Turkish to English:

http://translat  kish/to-English/

Many thanks to the replies re translation for the essential oils I bought in Turkey. I will try all that was suggested I will let you know what they mean. I certainly wont make that mistake again helen x

March 4, 2010 Flag

I have just started to use essential oils for my skincare and have read how to store them. What I would like to know would it be better to store the oils in my fridge to prolong the shelf life or just keep them in the dark bottles in a cupboard. Many thanks.

By Helen from U.K

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To avoid deterioration and protect the aromatic and therapeutic properties of your essential oils, store them in amber or cobalt blue bottles. Dark glass such as amber or cobalt helps to keep out deteriorating sunlight. Be leery of purchasing any oils sold in clear glass bottles. Clear glass bottles are not harmful to essential oils, but clear glass does not protect the oils from damaging sunlight. Beer deteriorates quickly and is often bottled in amber glass for a similar reason. Avoid purchasing pure essential oils sold in plastic bottles as the essential oil will eat at the plastic, and the essential oil will become ruined over a short period of time. Some vendors sell oils in lined aluminum bottles. It has been said that aluminum bottles are acceptable if the interior of the bottles are lined. Good luck.

hi kffrmw88 once again many thanks for your informative reply re storing essential oils. I think you should start your own website based on your knowledge. Thankyou helen x

I have always purchased brown bottled only and keep them stored upright in a bathroom drawer. I have some, that I don't use often, which are over a decade old and they are still as fresh as the day they were purchased.

The only thing you really need to worry about is if by some chance they reach 90 plus degrees (such as if you had one stored or left in your vehicle) just don't open the cap until it has cooled down to room temperature.

Also, there is no need to store them in the refrigerator.

February 27, 2010 Flag

Could anyone help me? I am trying to find information (free) for mixing essential oils with carrier oils for skin use. I know about the carrier oils, but I would like a list of what the best oils are and which oils go together best for facial use.

I have tried some sites, but they are not much help apart from recommending their books. Also, what is the dilution? Many thanks.

Helen x

By Helen from U.K

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Homemade Remedies for Skin Care Using Essential Oil 1 comment Flag this article Skin care products are often made using essential oils, as well as plastics, petroleum, and other potentially harmful substances. You don't have to expose your skin to synthetic chemicals; it is easy and inexpensive to make your own homemade skin care products with pure, natural essential oils.

The Benefits of Essential Oils

Our skin is the interface between our body and the world. It shelters the body and helps to eliminate waste. As a porous surface, whatever this protective organ is exposed to is absorbed to some degree into the blood stream. Learning how to make homemade skin care products is a way to introduce only pure and natural substances to the body.

Despite the fact that skin care products are supposed to benefit our skin, many of the chemical substances found in commercial cosmetics are actually toxic. Some are only mild irritants while others can be carcinogenic. Essential oils on the other hand are the pure, concentrated form of plant essences. They are made, usually through steam-distillation, from herbs, flowers, bark, stems, or any other component of a plant. They serve to nourish the skin, offering valuable phytochemicals which have a wide range of positive effects, from killing bacteria to improving circulation. Using essential oils for natural skin care is extremely beneficial; they are meant to be absorbed into the body. On their own they are much too intense to be directly applied; always mix essential oils with a carrier substance, such as water, almond or jojoba oil, or an unscented and lanolin-free lotion.

Dry Skin

There are a number of essential oils which can benefit dry skin conditions by balancing the skin's natural oil production with its moisture content, improving circulation, and generally relaxing skin cells. Linden essential oil is one of the best essential oils for dry skin. It is a very calming, soothing plant essence which works to moisturize the skin. Use linden on its own, or in combination with lavender. To make a calming floral water mist, add six to ten drops of essential oil in four ounces of distilled water. Put this mixture in a spray bottle, and mist dry areas regularly to replenish moisture.

Sandalwood, cedarwood, and patchouli are all excellent for dry skin, as well as having antiseptic, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties. The three fragrances blend well together. Try making a moisturizing, nourishing oil. Blend six drops of essential oil for every two ounces of grape seed, almond, apricot, or olive oil.

Acne

Acne is generally attributed to a hormone imbalance. Essential oils that work well in natural skin care remedies for oily skin work to protect the skin from bacteria and infection, reduce inflammation, and/or balance hormones. Tea tree oil is probably the most potent antibiotic, antifungal, and antiseptic essential oil. It can be used on its own as a refreshing cleanser. Simply dilute about twenty drops of the oil in a cup of water, then dab troubled areas with a clean cotton ball.

Geranium essential oil is effective as it helps to balance hormones, as well as cleanse. It can be blended with lavender, to calm and soothe any inflammation. Mix the two oils in a carrier oil, the same six drops for two ounces. Jojoba oil is the best carrier oil for oily skin because its chemical make-up is the closest thing in nature the human skin oil, known as sebum.

Mature Skin

Mature skin has often lost some of its elasticity, so it benefits from essential oils that work as astringents, as well as those that increase circulation. A good combination for wrinkled or mature skin is clary sage, grapefruit and rosemary. Clary sage essential oil calms the skin and is an anti-inflammatory, while grapefruit cleanses, detoxifies, and regenerates. Rosemary has both astringent properties and it enhances circulation.

A homemade natural skin care idea for mature skin would be a facial compress. Simply soak a clean cloth in a bowl of water and essential oil, ten to fifteen drops for every eight ounces of water. Lay the cloth on your face for ten minutes. Do this once or twice a week.

Make sure to always use only organic essential oil for your homemade skin care products. Imitation oils do not have the same properties, and are likely to be irritable to the skin. Also, although all citrus oils, orange, lemon, grapefruit, and bergamot, are beneficial, be sure to stay away from direct sunlight after applying these essential oils as they can compound the negative effects of the sun. Experiment with different essential oils to find what homemade natural skin care method works the best for you.

Hi to kffrmw88 Thank you so much for your reply to my query. You gave me so much invaluable information. I have printed it off to keep as reference you really are a Star. helen xx

February 10, 2011 Flag

Could someone tell me how to make an after bath splash with essential oils?

By Jae from Kingston, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Be very careful about using essential oils on your skin. Many types of them can cause burns.

November 21, 2010 Flag

Can I use the liquid form of candle scents to add to lamp oil?

By TJ from central OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Make Your OwnMarch 12, 2013
butter on cutting board
Substitutes for Butter in Recipes
Lavender Essential Oil
Using Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender Oil
Making Lavender Oil
A sachet filled with potpourri
Crafts Using Potpourri
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 17, 2017 at 6:12:11 PM on 10.0.2.99 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.