Using Essential Oils

Category Make Your Own
Lavender Essential Oil
Essential oils can be used in making many products for your home and personal care. This is a guide about using essential oils.

For insect repellent, essential oils such as clover, citronella, eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender, cedar and lemon grass repel bugs naturally. In a spray bottle, combine 1 1/2 tsp. essential oils per cup of vodka. Apply jojoba oil or almond oil to skin before spraying.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

Top Comment

I certainly hope that this formula does repel mosquitoes because we have them so badly in our area that they make being outdoors miserable. We have two seasons where I live (SE New Brunswick): winter & mosquito. I guess if the mosquitoes aren't repelled I can ingest some of the vodka to alleviate my suffering and maybe get the little buggers so intoxicated that they go away to sleep it off!

Top Comment

THANK YOU! One thing I read recently is that soy vegetable oil is a natural effective repellent that works almost as efficiently on its own as the chemical sprays to repel mosquitoes. You can add the essential oils on top of this for super repellent. I don't use soy for eating, but keep a small bottle for this purpose. With concern that mosquitoes are carriers of some of the new tick borne illnesses, it's worth using a repellent.

Instead of spending good money on expensive insect repellent, dab a few drops of tea tree oil on most of your pulse-points like your wrists, behind the ears and knees. Don't forget to dab a drop atop of your cleavage, ladies!

I have used this for years as a repellent and if you forget to use it, it will also heal bad insect bites. I personally love the smell too.

By Jeta from Cumbria, UK

Read 6 Comments

For a spa-like atmosphere in the shower, place a few drops of essential oil on the wall of the shower or tub surround. Do this before turning the water on. It is a simple pleasure I appreciate.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Read 1 Comment

Instead of buying potpourri to use in sachets for drawers, use fragranced sewn or knitted ornaments, etc. Just put a few drops of essential oil of your choice onto some cotton or wool, and place or sew it inside the item.

By Piebald from UK

This is a guide about using lavender essential oil. A fragrant oil made from lavender flowers that has been used in perfumes and for medicinal purposes for thousands of years.

Lavender Essential Oil

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Where is the best place to get essential oils? And can anyone tell me a little about there use?

Thanks,
Denise from Mcrae, GA

If you have a whole foods/health food store near you they usually carry decent oils. And they also have a variety of books available usually. I buy most of my oils online from Aromaland. They have been in business a long time and have been extremely pleased with the quality of their oils. http://www.aromaland.com They also sell decoder card wheels that offer a quick view of recipe formulas and they also offer email discounts, free shipping offers and sales if you sign up for them. Another good source is http://www.mountainroseherbs.com My two primary books are "The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy" by Valerie Worwood and "Aromatherapy, A Lifetime Guide to Healing with Essential Oils" by Valerie Cooksley.

What oils can I use to prevent bug bites?

Lemon Eucalyptus, Citronella, Lavender, Cedarwood, Lemongrass and Arborvitae are all excellent for their repellent qualities. Personally, I like to combine Lavender, Lemongrass and Cedarwood (10 drops each) in a 15 mL bottle, filling the rest with a carrier oil (fractionated coconut oil, grapeseed oil, even olive oil will do).

Download more recipes using the Oils Primer app, free on the App Store, Google Play and Amazon. www.oilsprimer.com

I make my own laundry detergent, what can I use to scent the liquid detergent besides essential oil as essential oils tend to make me ill? Can anyone tell me what I can use to scent my detergent and maybe an exact website to order the oils from?

Donna from Sweetwater

I have read and understand that most of the time when someone is sensitive to essential oils it is because of the chemical processing residues of low quality cheaply made oils, not actually the plant oils themselves. I am very sensitive and have found no irritation whatsoever with Young Living and other similar high-quality cold pressed oils that do not use chemical surfactants in the extraction processes. Additionally, many manufacturers incorporate high heat extraction methods which cause cellular degradation and mutations resulting in toxic by-products. Nowadays I only get migraines when people use those synthetic fragrance, neuro-toxic dryer sheets and Glade Plug Ins.

What is citric essential oil and where can I purchase this? Will it hurt my plants?

By Andy

Citric essential oil, is Lemon essential oil, which can be used in perfume but as well, ONE single drop in a glass of warm water can be used as a mouth wash as it is a natural and very effective antiseptic.

I went on holiday to Turkey last September. I bought some essential oils from a shop that was recommended. The problem is I have lost the translation for them even though the shopkeeper was English.

If I give a list of them could anyone please help. They are Esansi Nane Havuc Gul Yagi. I found them still in my suitcase just this morning. Hope I have gotten the right name for these oils.

Many thanks.

By Helen from U.K

Many thanks to the replies re translation for the essential oils I bought in Turkey. I will try all that was suggested I will let you know what they mean. I certainly wont make that mistake again helen x

I have just started to use essential oils for my skincare and have read how to store them. What I would like to know would it be better to store the oils in my fridge to prolong the shelf life or just keep them in the dark bottles in a cupboard. Many thanks.

By Helen from U.K

Anonymous

I have always purchased brown bottled only and keep them stored upright in a bathroom drawer. I have some, that I don't use often, which are over a decade old and they are still as fresh as the day they were purchased.

The only thing you really need to worry about is if by some chance they reach 90 plus degrees (such as if you had one stored or left in your vehicle) just don't open the cap until it has cooled down to room temperature.

Also, there is no need to store them in the refrigerator.

Could anyone help me? I am trying to find information (free) for mixing essential oils with carrier oils for skin use. I know about the carrier oils, but I would like a list of what the best oils are and which oils go together best for facial use.

I have tried some sites, but they are not much help apart from recommending their books. Also, what is the dilution? Many thanks.

Helen x

By Helen from U.K

Hi to kffrmw88 Thank you so much for your reply to my query. You gave me so much invaluable information. I have printed it off to keep as reference you really are a Star. helen xx

Could someone tell me how to make an after bath splash with essential oils?

By Jae from Kingston, NY

Be very careful about using essential oils on your skin. Many types of them can cause burns.

Can I use the liquid form of candle scents to add to lamp oil?

By TJ from central OH