Using Kitchen Utensils in Unusual Ways

Category Kitchen Tools
Kitchen Utensils
Many of us have grabbed a kitchen tool and used it successfully in ways other than the one for which it was intended. This is a guide about using kitchen utensils in unusual ways.

If a recipe calls for frozen spinach with the water squeezed out, I have a great and easy way to do this. No more do you need to waste valuable paper towels and make a mess. I use my potato ricer. Just put the thawed spinach in the potato ricer and clamp down the top portion and squeeze. With one or two squeezes, the spinach is completely dry and ready for your recipe.

Source: I got this tip from a friend of mine a long time ago when we were both personal chefs.

By Kathy from Sylvania, OH

I constantly need to slice veggies like zucchini, eggplant and onions thinly for recipes and to dehydrate.

Finally today I realized I could use the bagel slicer I received as a gift (and that I use so rarely) for this project too and make it more multifunctional!

It held the onion firmly enough to get some great slices without any 'slips'!

Just thought it might benefit my friends who may also have trouble slicing safely and thinly!
:D

DH and I have become very casual and borderline lazy in our old age, I'm 75 and he is 80. We leave the serving dishes on the counter and fill our plates before taking them to the table to eat. Today, I tried the spaghetti server to take the cabbage from the steamer. It works better than anything else I have tried because of the longer handle.

By Marty from Knoxville, TN

Necessity is the mother of invention, as the saying goes. In my home we have an attic with pull down stairs, and it seems that the string is always just out of my reach. So instead of pulling out my step stool every time, I get spaghetti serving spoon (funny looking spoon with tines and a hole in the middle) out of the drawer and use that to grab the string.

It works great, saves time because I don't need to call my husband or get a step stool, and it's another way to utilize a tool that's already around the house! I got my spoon at Target for around $5.

By Rita from Whitinsville, MA

I am all for using utensils in unusual ways. After you brown ground beef, you can break it up into mostly uniform pieces using a pastry blender.

I found the handiest little gizmo at the drugstore one day while waiting on a prescription. It's a French fry cutter. Not only do I use this to cut homemade French fries, but also when I'm freezing diced bell pepper, onion, etc.

I use a mushroom slicer to cut my boiled eggs with, when making potato salad, tuna salad, or just lettuce salads.

This guide contains uses for a pastry blender. There are other food tasks that this cutting tool can be helpful with.

Pastry Blender

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes