Browsing: Using Liquid Fabric Softener

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Using Liquid Fabric Softener

There are creative ways to use this product to help save you money. This guide is about using liquid fabric softener.

Using Liquid Fabric Softener
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 9, 2010 Flag

Instead of buying expensive fabric softener sheets, I put fabric softener in a spray bottle diluted 1:1 with water, spray Pellon interfacing material or a soft washcloth with about a dozen sprays, and throw it in the dryer.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 27, 2007 Flag

Never use liquid fabric softener in your clothes washer! By doing so, you will cause yourself more service calls (repair costs!), and ultimately lessen the life expectancy of your washer.

Fabric softener coats and clogs the hoses (and other parts, depending on the type of washer you have). I am not a repairman, but spent many years working for a major retailer supervising a customer service group specializing in major appliance "issues". I worked closely with senior technical assist repair personnel with 20 plus years field experience that passed on several "words of wisdom" to me.

I remember the day I asked this one extremely experienced tech "Well, if liquid fabric softener shouldn't be used in clothes washers, then why are special compartments made ON some washers specifically FOR fabric softener?" (Thinking I had him!). He responded with a grin on his face "Because that is what consumers want on their washers for "convenience". In turn, manufacturers give consumers want, they want, not necessarily what they need (or in this case DON'T need)." Oh, I get it now, we, as consumers, are to blame for our own desire for conveniences.

By Liz from Austin,TX

October 20, 2008 Flag

In response to the folks out there with musty towels. We've tried a lot of approaches and only one actually worked. The first thing we did was get rid of the liquid fabric softener. We then cleaned the washing machine by brush, using bleach and water.

We found that by running through 2 full hot water loads using only oxy clean and white vinegar (2 cups) that the machine smelled much better. We then washed our clothes using a mixture of oxy clean and borax with the white vinegar in the rinse dispenser. Works like a charm. The culprit is the Downey type products. They are not good for the machine, the pipes or the clothes. You must try this, if you want to end the problem, for once and for all. Good Luck

By Joe V. from Liverpool

August 28, 2008 Flag

I use vinegar in my final rinse when I do my laundry because I've found that my towels don't have so much lint, but I love the smell and softness of fabric conditioner. I was wondering if I could mix the vinegar with the fabric conditioner to get the best of both worlds, so to speak. Vinegar is great to prevent lint, but my laundry is much softer and smells much better with fabric conditioner. I don't want to use essential oils. They are very expensive here in Malta which makes them very uneconomical. Any suggestions or ideas please?

Cettina from Malta, Europe

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, I'll tell you what I do. I use 1/2 gal white vinegar, 1/2 bottle of the cheapest hair conditioner , and finish filling the gallon vinegar jug with water. Mix and use as fabric softener. It works great and you choose the scent. I wouldn't use dryer sheets. I got a brand new dryer and they ruined the sensors on the dryer. :( Now I can't use it on the auto setting. Hope this helps. God bless!

I use about 2/3 vinegar and 1/3 fabric softener. I think I will try the hair conditioner and vinegar. I never use a dryer.

I love using vinegar in my wash. Don't use softener on towels, it makes them less absorbent. Liquid and dryer sheets are both a no no with good cotton towels. Cotton is a living thing and too much heat can kill it and softener clogs it and makes it less absorbent. Just use laundry soap and vinegar if you like.

Don't ever use fabric softener on your towels. It removes all the properties that absorb water when you dry off. That's why you still feel moisture after drying off (unless you live in a very humid climate).

Read More Answers...

April 6, 2010 Flag

When using fabric softener, is it best to use only on the rinse cycle? Can the fabric softener be added at the same time as the laundry soap? Thank you.

By Theresa from Phoenix, AZ

Sorry to be so negative here, but I am speaking from personal experience. i ran out of fabric softener and used vinegar instead. Well, my clothes came out hard, as I've always line dried, and they stunk something dreadful! With fabric softener, even if my laundry has been out in the sun for a couple of hours, they still are soft and nice smelling. Maybe if you use a dryer things are different, but I can certainly tell you that if you line dry your clothes, do NOT use vinegar.

You can buy a little plastic ball made for fabric softener. You pour the softener in the ball & put the plug in place & throw it in with you clothes at the beginning of the wash. The plug comes out sometime during the rinse-that way you don't have to worry about catching the rinse cycle if you don't have a cup in your machine for softener. I tried vinegar several times, but even with 1cup, my stuff was coming out of the dryer full of static electricity - anybody got any ideas on how to fix that?

I haven't used fabric softener-sheets or liquid-since trying bio-friendly laundry powder (I use Country Save, available @ London Drugs in SK, CA).

Does this help with sratic? I don't need clothes "softer", I had been using FS for anti-static. For example, vinegar does not do anything for static. Thanks!

Read More Answers...

September 15, 2000 Flag
ThriftyFun.com Staff0 found this helpful

I have been using dryer sheets to soften my clothes in the dryer for a while now. Recently, I found a deal on liquid fabric softener that I couldn't pass up (free!), and am wondering if anyone has tips on using liquid softener in a machine without an automatic dispenser. I know one company sells a ball to use, but I don't know whether that works or if it's even worth the expense. I really appreciate any ideas! Thanks!

Amy

Yes, remember many years ago they didn't have fabric softener dispensers. All they would do is add a capful of liquid fabric softener during the start of the rinse cycle. No problem. You're adding it to the water solution not directly to your fabrics.

Liquid fabric softener may be contributing to problems in the front loading washing machines becuase it may contribute to a build up that leads to mold and mildew growing in the machine.

There is a huge string of posts under "stinky towels?" where we are trying to get to the bottom of this, so I would suggest finding some other way to use the liquid fabric softener! It may not be good for your machine

wyo*krista

I just learned of a tip from another site that works great! I dilute Suavitel fabric softener because it is so powerful. Then keep an old tupperware style container with some of this diluted fabric softener. Cut 1 or 2 sponges in half and let them sit in the softener. When using the dryer, just squeeze out the sponge and throw it into the dryer load. Afterward, it goes right back into the tupperware container. This works great plus a bottle of fabric softener goes a very long way.

I also use the Downy Ball and it works just great! I would recommend it!

Read More Answers...

February 8, 2015 Flag

In using wash cloths as dryer sheets, how do you prevent lint from getting on clothes that are drying?

By Rita

Microfiber cloths do not cause lint. If you use one for your fabric softener cloth, you will not have lint from it. These can be bought in the dollar store. Hope this helps.

February 26, 2010 Flag

To get the rest of the glue off the walls after removing wall paper try saturating wall with cheap liquid fabric softener; the cheaper the better. Let it soak in for at least 1/2 hour than scrape off with plastic spatula. It does the trick very well.

By Sandy from Nova Scotia

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryMarch 10, 2013
Fabric Softener Reviews
Fabric Softener Reviews
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Downy Fabric Softener Ball
Uses For Downy Fabric Softener Balls
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser
Cleaning a Fabric Softener Dispenser
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 12:18:55 AM on 10.0.1.237 in 978 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.