Using Fabric Softener With Vinegar

I use vinegar in my final rinse when I do my laundry because I've found that my towels don't have so much lint, but I love the smell and softness of fabric conditioner. I was wondering if I could mix the vinegar with the fabric conditioner to get the best of both worlds, so to speak. Vinegar is great to prevent lint, but my laundry is much softer and smells much better with fabric conditioner. I don't want to use essential oils. They are very expensive here in Malta which makes them very uneconomical. Any suggestions or ideas please?

Cettina from Malta, Europe

I use dryer sheets instead of liquid. Or you can put some liquid on another cloth and dry it with your laundry and get the smell and static control that way.

You can cut your fabric softener liquid so that it's up to half to two-thirds vinegar, and get the best of both worlds. You might be able to mix even more vinegar in, but I haven't tried more than about two-thirds myself. It works pretty well, especially for things like towels.

Give it a try - you can always rewash if you don't like the outcome.

I forgot to say that I live in a HOT country so dryers are unnecessary. I ALWAYS line dry; summer and winter. I don't even own a dryer so I never buy dryer sheets.

Thanks, Alexis. I will try half and half and see how it goes and then take it from there to see if I can add more vinegar. If it works for you, then it should work for me! Thanks again.

I forgot where but I did read that you could add a couple drops of essence of oil.For example,orange or lemon.It could also be added to plain ol bleach instead of buying the more pricey ones.

Hi, I'll tell you what I do. I use 1/2 gal white vinegar, 1/2 bottle of the cheapest hair conditioner , and finish filling the gallon vinegar jug with water. Mix and use as fabric softener. It works great and you choose the scent. I wouldn't use dryer sheets. I got a brand new dryer and they ruined the sensors on the dryer. :( Now I can't use it on the auto setting. Hope this helps. God bless!

I use about 2/3 vinegar and 1/3 fabric softener. I think I will try the hair conditioner and vinegar. I never use a dryer.

I love using vinegar in my wash. Don't use softener on towels, it makes them less absorbent. Liquid and dryer sheets are both a no no with good cotton towels. Cotton is a living thing and too much heat can kill it and softener clogs it and makes it less absorbent. Just use laundry soap and vinegar if you like.

Don't ever use fabric softener on your towels. It removes all the properties that absorb water when you dry off. That's why you still feel moisture after drying off (unless you live in a very humid climate).

1 cup water
1/2 cup vinegar
1/3 cup hair conditioner (whatever smells good)

Stir well, but do not put in a bottle and shake it or you will have nothing but bubbles that will never want to subside.