Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine

Category Sewing
The Singer Handy Stitch sewing machine is a small, battery operated handheld sewing machine. This is a guide about using a Handy Stitch sewing machine.

Handy Stitch Machine

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This little handheld sewing machine, made by Singer, is often purchased by people who want to do a bit of mending. Getting it threaded correctly is the most important step. This is a guide about threading a Handy Stitch machine.

I have a handheld sewing machine. The first time I used it, it worked perfectly. Then I used it on a cotton material, at first, it was skipping (jumping stitches) then it stopped stitching. Now the machine is working as if there is no thread in it when sewing. The sound is still the same when sewing, only it is not stitching.
Please I need someone to help me out. Thanks.

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Anonymous

I'm having the same problem anyone know why???

I am facing the same problem

Me too!

Anonymous

I think we have all been dooped because I too am facing this issue. I literally just pulled mine out the box 

Has anyone purchased a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine and had good results? I only do a little mending and I didn't want to spend the money on a regular sewing machine. I also don't have the space so I thought the handheld one would be better.

Caramel1 from NJ

How do you lock the stitches?

How do you get the battery pack open to change the batteries?

Well, my problem has been that the stitch from below breaks. I have loosened the tension, but it doesn't help. Pain to thread when you get to be my age. Great idea and material it is made out of seems to be sturdy. Looks nice too, but someone must perfect it.

I would not get one. It's a waste of money, mend with your fingers or get somebody else to do it for you, maybe the cleaners will do it or put an add in a news paper, good luck.

How do you secure a stitch at the beginning and at the end with a Handy sewing machine?

By Nithya T.

With one of these machines the best and simplest way to secure beginning and ending stitches is to knot.

First, run a few beginning stitches then reach behind the needle, take the bobbin and upper thread tails hanging from the beginning and tie two overhand knots.

When finished stitching, do the same thing at the end - simply tie two overhand knots.

Be sure not to pull the knots so tightly the fabric develops a pucker (will look like the beginning of a gather). You want to pull the knots tight enough that the knots rest right at the edge of the fabric, only.

Anyone have the owner's manual for a Handy Stitch handheld sewing machine? Or know where to find one?

By Vonna B

The reviews on this little stitcher aren't very good, and most of those unfavourable reviews mention that the instructions are so worthless they had to Google around to find this helpful 'eHow' page:

http://www.ehow  nstructions.html

I got my son a mini-sewing machine (not the Handy Stitch, he has something that looks like a toy mini sewing machine) at CVS last spring, he's learned how to sew using it for small mending jobs and he's moving up to a basic Singer now because he's fallen in love with sewing, lol.

One of his friends has the Singer Handy Stitch, and says it works OK, but sewing by hand is faster and more reliable, and that having a 'real' machine like the mini my son has would be a lot less hassle.

Good luck with your Handy Stitcher, I can see where it might be helpful on trips or quick hemming a curtain.

Many manuals are available for printing online. Those that can't be printed will allow you to save or email a pdf to yourself.

How do I lock a stitch on the Handy Stitch? I'm a dad trying to teach my daughter how to use this frustrating thing. Thanks.

By Big Dummy

I Googled and found the following links that seem to be clearly written, and I've included a YouTube link to a video that shows the operation too:

http://www.ehow  tch-machine.html

http://www.ehow  nstructions.html

http://www.yout  ch?v=G05dWewvEK4 (a five part series, follow the links to watch parts 2-5)

Good for you to try to teach your daughter how to sew with the Handy Stitch. I got a mini-sewing machine for my adult son while I was visiting him this past spring and he enjoyed it so much he is ready for a 'real' sewing machine. You can find a very nice inexpensive Singer at WalMart and similar stores (just under $100) with well written instructions that will help your daughter learn to use a 'real' sewing machine-my son can make his own clothing and really appreciates knowing how.

LOL, growing up he never showed much interest although he did appreciate the clothes he watched me sew for him.

Great idea Frugalsunnie! Great for kids going to college or back to college. : )

How do I thread and use a Handy Stitch?

By Debra E.

I bought a Handy Stitch at a yard sale and need an owners instruction manual. I am also looking for a place to buy accessories for it.

By Darla

You can try Retrevo.com for a manual you can also try http://www.manualsonline.com/ but I think they charge for manuals. No idea where you can get accessories.

Visit www.sewusa.com. They have helpful information, manuals and parts. I hope this helps.

I have had my Handy Stitch for at least 10 years. Over the years of moving and cleaning I have managed to misplace the bobbin pin. I need to know how I can get a replacement bobbin pin for my Handy Stitch.

By Rhiannon M.

I do not have a manual for my Handy Stitch machine. I have put new batteries in and cannot get the machine started. Also was I supposed to get parts for machine, like thread and bobbin? I don't think I can use the same size as regular sewing machines.

Please help. Or should I take someone's advice on it and just throw it away? I really don't want to do this as I think this would be great for small projects.
Thank you Mrs. P

By wcp from Margate, FL

Take it back. I never could get the 1 I had to work, good luck.

Where do the batteries go in the Singer Handy Stitch 300K?

By Krystle from Reno, NV

Contact - 1-800-4-SINGER

Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. C.T.

Singer Sewing Company

1224 Heil Quaker Blvd.

P.O. Box 7017

LaVergne, TN 37086

Customer Service: 1-800-4-SINGER Customer Service Fax: (615) 213-0994