Using a Kerosene Heater

Category Heating
Kerosene Heater
It's important to know a few things about operating this kind of heater. This guide is about using a kerosene heater.

We have been experiencing a lot of power loss lately. When this happens, I heat with a kerosene heater. Not only does it keep me warm, but it's my cooking source as well. You can't cook everything this way, but you can make do with many foods.

This past weekend, I didn't have power so I used the heater to heat up canned foods. I also made grilled cheese, macaroni and cheese, cooked eggs, and even made coffee. I place my coffee grounds in a filter and twisted it up with a tie twist. Placed this in the coffee container, added the water, and left it to "perc". After a bit, I had delicious coffee as usual. You can prepare so many foods if you just think about it.

The top of the heater gets quite hot, so it doesn't take long. Just make sure the containers you use will be safe for this method

By triciaminter from Ridgeway, VA

I know it might be a little late in the season for this, but my sister taught me a little trick. If you use a kerosene heater to cut down on heating bills, like we do, and you can't stand the kerosene smell, put a pan of water on top of heater, and the smell will be gone! Sometimes I put in a couple drops of essential oil, and the smell travels through the house, making it smell great!

By Tammy Marie

Does anyone have a manual for the kerosene heater RMC 95-C6 or instructions on changing the wick? Mine will light but goes out after a couple of minutes. It was fine until I added kerosene and then this started. The kerosene is OK. I put some from the same can in my other one. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jehorn from MI

Talk to the seller, but I'm 99.9% positive that the instructions are included with the wick (mine were for the Toyota model)...

http://www.fixy  _kerosene_heater

We take ours to local hardware store they replace the wick and adjust for $15.00 we only have to take every two years call around your area and ask usually a Mom n Pop store around will provide the service. All we had to do was take our heater in and they called for pickup when it was ready. Works great. Hope this helps.

I have the same kind of heater, I have not had to change it yet. I have had minds for 3 months now. I olny use it when the temaperture drops in the 30f. But Home Depot sell them, that is where I brought my heater from. Also you might try Academy, they sell camping equipment. I will have to look for my manual, and maybe I can post it on the site when I find it.

Wick Replacement for Kerosene Heater, Model# RMC-95-C6

The wick in your heaters needs replacing if, after repeated cleanings, any of the following conditions still exist: slow to light, hard movement of the wick adjuster knob, kerosene odor while burning, low heat output, slow warm up, damaged wick.

Use only a genuine replacement wick.

REPLACEMENT WICK NUMBER: Kero-World 32225, Dura Heat DH-145, Glowick 30856

If cleaning the Wick does not improve performance, you will need to replace the wick.

Call customer service at 1-800-668-5323, to order wick. Factory authorized wicks and parts may be ordered from:

GHP GROUP INC.

7500 St Louis Avenue

Skokie, IL 60076-4034 USA

Telephone: 1-877-447-4768

Be sure to tell them to send a copy of how to change the wick! If you have any trouble, just e-mail me and I will mail you a copy of my manual

I live in a older mobile home. My boyfriend's boss gave him a kerosene heater. It warms up the place nicely. My question is are they safe? We just use it in evening. At bed time we have hot blankets.

If the heater has been properly maintained and is operated only in the presence of responsible adults, it should be safe to use. But then, it all depends on what you think is safe. I would be more worried about what breathing the fumes and carbon monoxide would be doing to my lungs and brain, than I would about the trailer burning down.

I think these heaters are good to have for emergency use such as power outages in Winter, provided they are used with lots of ventilation. Other than that, I think they should be outlawed. If it's not a money issue, I would say don't use it.

If/when you clean your walls in the Spring, you will see what I mean about the fumes.

http://www.iii.  ne-heater-safety

Here is a good article about kerosene heater safety. You can learn to use this heater safely, or at least lower the chance of anything bad happening.

We removed a kerosene heater from our home and there is a stone or concrete slab which has absorbed the kerosene. Now the house smells of kerosene all the time, how do we remove this smell? What products do we use?

By Noema from Sydney, Australia

I would suggest solumel from melalueca all of their products are eco friendly google the wellness company. They will deliver right to your door. I have used there stuff for years, solumel is a natural deodorizer and very effective cleaner. Good luck