AdviceDogs

What Breed is My Dog?

This is Sassy, I got her when she was 8 weeks old. I was told she was a boxer/pit mix, she is 7 months now and weighs probably around 50lbs. I don't know what she is, can anyone help me out?

Melissa from Tennessee

Though I am no expert, I did some volunteer work at a shelter that had a huge amount of pit and pit mixes. I would say your dog does look a lot like a pit/boxer mix. So adorable no matter what she is!

About Sassy! She looks like a wonderful dog, and I, too, am no expert, but I do see some Pit Bull in her facial expression. Her coloring is like boxers I have known. But the truth is that most mix breed dogs have more than two breeds in them. Very often the parents are mixed breeds. That gives an owner a very special dog with traits from all of the unknown relatives. Sassy is unique. Love her lots and you both will thrive!

Sassy looks like a pit, has the markings of a boxer, but a pit and boxer normally have real short hair. If I can see correctly the hair on her back flank looks a little long for both of those breeds I'm thinking she has some lab mixed in with her. Most mix breed dogs have lab in them also, this is because there are such an abundance of labs. This is because labs are some of the cutest puppies you can find, but then they grow up and can be a handful.

Your sweet dog looks just like my boxer Buster. I think pit bulls have a bit more square head and your dog looks like for boxer to me. If your dog has a personality that is silly and goofy then chances are she is more boxer. That is what we love so much about the boxer breed, fun, smart, learn tricks and commands very fast, but most of all so lovable.

People always want to hear their mixed breed is half one thing and half something else. Many dogs have several different breeds in them; just like some people! :o)

There is definitely some boxer and put in there. You really need to see the dog standing to get a better idea of what else might be in the mix.