What Breed is My Dog?

I have a lovely girl, who is some sort of a hound. I was hoping to get some ideas of which kind she is. She came to us by a concerned woman who found her emaciated and barely able to walk on the highway. She was promptly named Grace which later turned into Gracie, and she is so happy now that she has been vetted but is still not feeling 100 percent since she only weighs 40 pounds and is skin and bones. If you can tell what kind of hound she is I would love some input.

I have never had any experience fostering a hound, but she is soo sweet and smart. I will probably try to place her in a specialized foster home and in the meantime smother her with love and kisses and fill her belly. She is on a gaining-weight diet of cookies made of ground beef, oatmeal, egg yolks, wheat germ, salt, oil and Total cereal. I cooked and then froze them on a cookie sheet and now I microwave about two or three a day for her to help her gain weight in the next two weeks, before her next parvo booster. Any help about gaining weight on her would be appreciated too.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

Well, she looks just like a dog who adopted us recently (what's one more?). Beagle/Basset mix.

As for helping her gain weight, I had to do that with a rescue also. I found a product at Tractor Supply called Enervite. It comes in a red & white tube. It's high calorie for weight gain. It worked great.

Thank you so much, I am going to tractor supply today.

Blessings,

Robyn

I used a frozen dog food (meat) from the grocery and added that to the dry dog food. Also an extra egg and olive/cooking oil to the dry dog food. I ground up people vitamins and sprinkled some of that on the dog food. It usually took me about a month to bring the dog around.

Has she been checked for worms? Having worms can make it difficult to gain weight.

Oh Bless you for helping her. She definitely looks like some kind of hound. We have used the Enervite before for a dog that was sick and it worked well.

She definitely has beagle markings, the black "saddle" on her back is a beagle trade mark. Beagles range anywhere from 13-15 inches in height, so if she is taller, then I would guess she has some type of coon dog or healer as well.

Breed? Just call it Heinz if you really need to name it. My first dog was a Heinz and he was the best ever. They appear to have a better disposition than a specific breed.As most everyone has stated there appears to be hound in her mostly beagle.As for a feeding regiment I wouldn't get her real used to a fancy brand. Some animals get accustomed to the fancy stuff and will starve themselves if they don't continue to get it. Use the fancy stuff as a treat rather than the staple.

Just as a follow up, she has gained weight beautifully from me cooking for her, macaroni, beef, olive oil, oatmeal and vitamin drop cookies, frozen and put in the microwave four or five times a day. Of course, and we all knew this would happen, we are keeping her, as someone said, what's one more? LOL, robyn

Forgot to add a box of total cereal into the above mix....LOL Robyn

Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 31, 2009
Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
Cairn Terrier
Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
mixed breed dog
What Breed is My Dog?
Cat
Identifying the Breed of Your Cat
🎄
🍂