What Breed is my Dog?

We adopted our dog from a rescue shelter last summer as a puppy. The paperwork indicated she is a Lab mix. Overall she is a well behaved and good dog. However, we have had some instances of her exhibiting aggression. She has food aggression (people food), is mouthy and still a bit nippy after 1 year. Also, she is still destructive i.e., chewing. Of course we could get the DNA test, but wanted to get some input first.

By mdc68

How big is your dog? It's hard to tell from the photo. Her ears remind me of a Dachshund, and that little bit of brown on her chest is a Dachshund color too. Dachshunds can be a little nippy and barky in my experience. The only other thing might be black and tan coonhound, but those are huge. Her ears are definitely hound like, so cute!

Here is a pic of a Dachshund and Lab mix, very close match!

http://www.animalaid-va.org/images+/dogs/Boomer.JPG

Wow! The pic looks almost identical. Her siblings in the pen with her were white/brown and brown/white. She is full size now at 45 lbs.

If she is Lab and she is at least part lab, she needs to walk or run everyday. They are born to play and swim. Get her good and tired and she won't chew.

If your feeding her "people" food stop. Just give her dog food only, at least for a while. Don't let her sit by the dining table when your eating because smells overwhelm her and she will take what she wants.

I looked at the picture before reading the question, & my immediate thought looking at her face & ears, was that she was a dachshund.

Looks like a lab/beagle mix to me because of the ears. Some kind of hound mix , anyway. As far as the food aggressions and nipping, she needs to be trained to stop. Make her work for her food: have her sit and wait at mealtime and don't put her food bowl down for her until she does. Also, you'll need to get her used to you picking up and putting down the bowl without reacting. Keep her in a sit/wait while you add food to the bowl on the floor. Eventually she'll learn that good things happen (i.e., food in the bowl) when she sits and waits patiently. For nipping, a loud no! and turning away from her and ignoring her will make her realize that if she wants your attention, she must play nice. Distract her by asking her to sit or lay down and praise her when she does it. Be consistent and she will eventually learn.

Your dog's face and ears look exactly like my pure-bred dachshund's. Also, the behaviors you are describing are exactly like my dog's were in the first year after I adopted her (she was about 2 yrs old then), the food aggression, the chewing, the barking. Dachshunds are very single-minded, just like many hound breeds.

mixed breed dog
What Breed is My Dog?
Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 27, 2010
Photo of a pure bred dalmatian.
Dalmatian Breed Information and Photos
Cairn Terrier
Cairn Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Welsh Terrier
Welsh Terrier Breed Information
Cat
Identifying the Breed of Your Cat
🎉
🎄