What is This Insect?

I found a small insect that looks like a cross between a common house fly and a miniature bee. Any idea what it might be? The insect has the body size and color of a fly (green and blue) and looks like a bee with six legs and small stinger. I tried to take a picture of it, but it was too small for the camera to focus on.

By Janette G from Paradise, CA

Without seeing a picture, my guess would be a that it is a blue bottle fly. We have them around here and they are harmless. Here is a link that tells about the blue bottle fly.

My initial thought was a sweat bee. But if you are concerned catch one (dead-but recognizable or alive) and take it to your local agricultural office. It may have a different name but it should be listed in your phone book near other local govt offices. Another choice would be to take it to a state park if there is one in your area. Those rangers are pretty knowledgable about most of the critters in their state.

It might be a Mason bee, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason_bee

I'm gonna say it's a blueberry bee. This picture best matches the coloration you describe. A picture can be found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmia_ribifloris I hope this helps!

I think you may be talking about this bug in pic. I'm trying to figure this out myself. I seen it in Long Island (Mineola)

What is This Insect?
Home and Garden Pest Control AdviceMay 30, 2011
Honeybee on a strawberry blossom.
Honeybee Information and Photos
Mosquito Bites
Treating Insect Bites and Stings
Homemade Insect Repellents
Homemade Natural Insect Repellents