Treating Insect Bites and Stings

Category Home Remedies
You can use products readily available in your home to treat insect bites and stings. This is a guide about treating insect bites and stings.

We always have bad mosquitoes in Houston; even in the winter. I've tried literally every recipe on this site, with no luck. They bite me even when I'm wearing Off (without Deet). My husband told me a way to make the bites easier to bear - I didn't believe him at first! He said to put white vinegar on the bites. I didn't have white, so I used apple cider vinegar.

I was almost out, so all I had was the "mother" of this vinegar. That's the cloudy mass at the bottom of the bottle of apple cider vinegar. I got this bottle at Whole Foods Market, a very pricey health food store. I noticed that the one I buy at my grocery store has no "mother". I used the mother and applied it with a q-tip and, sure enough, the welts started to go away and so did the itching. The next day all I had was three small marks where the welts were. They also stopped itching completely.

I have used it on my 2 year old Grand-baby who is a redhead and very fair and it worked on her too. Maybe this will help someone out there too - I hope so!

By metroplex from Houston, TX

We always put vinegar on itchy bug bites. Apply a little vinegar to a cotton ball and dab on the bites. Works like a charm almost every time, taking the itch away within a view minutes. We've never had a bad reaction. I think it neutralizes the pH balance of the bite, but most importantly, it worked really well when my kids were young, saving a lot of misery for all of us!

Source: My grandma

By Sharon from Silver Spring, MD

In case of an insect sting, apply ice for one half hour and then try one of these remedies for one half hour. Caution, apply "around" the stung area. Do not put directly on broken skin:

This should help relieve pain and keep down swelling.

Source: Bottomline Publishing: Household Magic

By Macie4 from Walnut Creek, CA

This may sound a little crazy and I am sure many of you have heard it before, but here goes. Put non-sudsy ammonia on a cotton ball and apply it to mosquito bites and bee stings. The ammonia somehow neutralizes the venom and poof! No more itchy bites. It only takes a little bit on a cotton ball or swab, don't douse it with the whole container.

By tracy63 from Fredericksburg, VA

I read on earthclinic.com about rubbing a slice of cucumber on any insect bites. I love cucumbers! I also looked in the ThriftyFun database and there are a few uses of them to get wasps away from picnics. That is something I would very much like to do. I use cucumbers anyway as flavoring for water, I drop a few into a glass of water and then put in ice after a few minutes and now I can use them for bites and prevention of mosquitoes and wasps at picnics! Here is the site on earthclinic.com where I found the tip about Insect Bites:

EarthClinic.com

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

Hello from Canada! June, July and August are warm days of summer for people and a smorgasbord of human legs and arms and bodies for bugs.

Here is what you can do to relieve the irritating itching when too many bugs have bitten and you can't find a remedy in the medicine cabinet. Use your tooth paste. It goes on in seconds, relives the itch in seconds and dries quickly.

I use Colgate Total for fast relief from both bugs and expensive pharmacy creams.

Have a great summer!

By Joseph from St.,Laval West, Laval, Quebec, Canada

Take a small bottle or lip balm tube, stuff it with cotton and saturate it with vinegar. It applies easily to insect stings and bites, can be used on scrapes, scratches and sunburns as well. Keep several in car, tackle box, backpack and don't forget the garden or back yard. By Dr. Jose

Put liquid antacid products on insect bites to relieve the sting and discomfort.

Yellow jacket stings can be itchy and painful. This is a guide about relieving itching from yellow jacket stings.

Close up of a yellow jacket and its nest.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Can you have an allergic reaction to a ladybug bite?

Janice from Stafford, VA

Answers

Most definitely you can! I'm extremely allergic to the bites of any pest. It is most likely a potato bug that bit you [they look almost identical to ladybugs, just a bit more orange in color].

well you can have an allergic reaction to most anything. because people are different etc. but ladybugs themselves dont bite. either there is another type of bug in your surroundings or it is the potatoe bug as joandogs said. i have many ladybugs in my home all year. they never bother me. but an ant, flea or mosquito will seak me out.

Asian Lady bugs certainly do bite.

Sheryl is right - Asian ladybugs DO bite! They aren't the red ladybugs that are more common in NA, but instead are orange-yellow. Unfortunately they were brought to my area in order to get rid of aphids (a stupid idea - anyone who's taking a biology/environmental issues class can tell you that) and now we're stuck with them. The bites hurt, but if you have other reactions later like swelling etc. then check with your doctor.

I have had lady bug bites just a night ago and i feel awful! I have little bumps that look like bites every 6 inches or so, and i am itchy on my SCALP too! I was surfing the web to see any advice.

They do bite. I got bit 3 times this summer at an outdoor camp where I worked at.
And they itch too..although that depends on the person. For me, the spot where i got bit itches.
I agree with Trix.

im so itchy from the ladybug bites

I know for sure that lady bugs do bite. My house is full of them. I ended up with one in my night shirt, I then layed on it. I got bit and I pulled it out of my night shirt. There was that classic lady bug smell( when they get disturbed). I looked at what I pulled out and it was definitley a lady bug. The bite was itchy and it became red and swollen with 4 or 5 litlle blistery areas. I have had it for about 4 days now and it isn't getting any better.Does anyone have any suggestions.( I have taken several allergy meds with benedryl).

I was bit in my nose by a ladybug.

I am 57yrs old and was first bitten by a ladybug 35 years ago.Hurt like a wasp and thought it was my imagination. Over the last several yrs been bite 5 or 6 more times. All my friends think I am crazy but after the third bite I decided I must look and taste like a giant aphid. The bites always left a large red bump that looked like a volcano. Itched for days.

I was bitten and became extremely ill. I felt nauseous and dizzy. the acutal site never became itchy or raised but i read on other sites that these asian lady bugs secrete a liquid of defense and some folks become ill after being bitten for about two days. So for those who don't think they bite, trust me, they do, and it's very painful.

I was bit by a green ladybug it is red and itchy like a giant mosquito bite

I just googled potato bug, and that def does not look like a ladybug. And, I was just bit by a lady bug today and it hurt. It also itched for like 10 minutes, but then stopped.

I was bit on my arm and I've had it for like 5 days and it iches and hurts and there is like 5 big bumps on my arm just from that one bite! I have to get rid of them soon!

I have this humongous rash on my leg and it's swollen and bumpy. I noticed ladybugs in my room the day it happened. I'm not sure if this is what it's from. I'm really scared it looks TERRIBLE I'm hoping it will go away because I'm scared to tell my mom because she doesn't know I shave. It could be from something else. I don't know. I need help, I'm so terrified. I hope it goes away.

Editor's Note: Please tell your mom.

to Sierra: Your mom will be more upset if you let something like this go than she will be to find out you shave. She expects that to happen someday and you need to get this tended to. Lots of things bite besides ladybugs.

I just got bit by a ladybug. I'm sure it is one because its red not orange but the bite only pinched for a second and afterward there was no affect (itchy, redness, bumps, irritation, etc.) but I do agree with Sandy63 that everyone's different so reactions will vary. roxchrisrox(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

I thought I had poison ivy. I remember now that I did get bitten by some lady bugs the day they were going totally crazy. Perhaps this is not poison ivy, it does not seem to get out of my system very fast. Used all sorts of methods for poison ivy. Still have some little bumps with fluid. Some other little bumps are popping up on my torso. Hope to get rid of this pesky mess soon.

I was just got bit bye a lady bug and it hurts so bad and swelled up. It didn't have black dots like a ladybugs do though it was just orange. I didn't believe ladybugs bit until now. It felt just like a wasp. How do I know if i am allergic?

I just got bit by a lady bug on the lip, it hurts. :(

I am trying to find out what kind of bites I'm getting the same time of the year. This is the 2nd year now. They bite when I'm sleeping, they sometimes appear later at work or when coming out of the shower. They are itchy and are driving me nuts. They swell like a bite, get a clear fluid in the top and will go away. I am even having bites turn up where I am wearing clothes. Any suggestions?

By pna from Findlay, OH

Can you use apple cider vinegar with coconut oil or does it have to be white vinegar?

I keep a cotton ball in a baby food jar of white vinegar handy for insect bites. It stops the itch instantly.

By April

Recently I noticed that my daughter had what appeared to be insect bites. However, when I looked closely I noticed that they have a black dot in the center and little red bumps all around them. When I try to touch them it seems to hurt. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be?

Nely from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Identifying Insect Bites

Has your daughter been in the woods or lawn where ticks are? The very tiny deer tick looks like a freckle, but it turns red with the black dot being the tick and it gets painful. I hope she doesn't have any ticks, but that was the first thing that came to my mind. They are really bad this year. My husband has had at least 7 or 8 this summer already. Hope she clears up soon. Best wishes and prayers. (07/17/2008)

By Connie A

Identifying Insect Bites

I don't really know without seeing them, but with the black dots in the center they may be bee stings. The black dot would be the stinger. A picture would help
(07/17/2008)

By PICO

Identifying Insect Bites

Try this:

badspiderbites.com (07/17/2008)

By michawnpita

Identifying Insect Bites

Any time I hear on a "bulls-eye" (circular) type bite with a dark colored center, I think Brown Recluse spider bite. Look online at some pictures and see if it's a Brown Recluse spider bite. If it is a bite from the Brown Recluse spider it needs to be treated immediately or she could have many long term health problems. (07/17/2008)

By Cyinda

Identifying Insect Bites

It could also be an allergic reaction to something, anything! My daughter was forever getting "contact dermatitis" when she was young, which is just a medical term for, "Hey, your kid is allergic to something but we don't know what; rub this cream on it a couple of times a day and it will go away".

Anytime that there is something suspicious like that, you may want to take her to the doctor to be absolutely certain of what it is, because it could be so many things.

Good luck, and God bless. (07/17/2008)

By bailegirl

Identifying Insect Bites

Did she have any blotchy spots on her face or anyplace else after she got bit? If so, I would say a spider bite. Does she have any swelling in the area of the bite? I would say take her to a doctor and get her checked out. If she starts getting bad headaches take her in right away, she could have an infection if it's a tick bit. (07/18/2008)

By Mythi

When you get a mosquito bite or a bee/wasp sting, use household ammonia to get rid of the itch or sting. I bought one of the sting "sticks" that they sell and refill it with household ammonia. I keep it with me during the warm months. One of these "sticks" has ammonia in it as an ingredient. Or just keep some ammonia in a small bottle and apply with a cotton ball. You may have to reapply now and again.

I had six wasp stings at one time and applied this immediately and it killed the pain instantly. It would be a good idea to test the ammonia on your wrist to make sure there isn't an allergic reaction to the ammonia.

Source: A neighbor who is a chemist. During one of cookouts, one of the kids was stung by a bee and the ammonia immediately took the pain away. Our neighbor who is from Thailand said this is what the farmers use but they use their own personal ammonia, if you know what I mean.

By mkymlp from PA

Answers:

Ammonia For Bites And Stings

mkymlp, I know that this works because once I had bought the stick and it said on the ingredients that it was 100% ammonia. I find that you have to use it immediately though for it to be effective. (08/05/2009)

By Laniegirl

Ammonia For Bites And Stings

Eww, does "that" really work? (08/05/2009)

By mom of towers

Ammonia For Bites And Stings

You can also make a paste with water and baking soda. You can actually watch the swelling subside as it's applied (tobacco works too. Take a bit of cigarette tobacco in you mouth; saturate it and place it on the sting. It's gone! (09/14/2009)

By Cajun62234