Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

When Should Girls Start Shaving?

1EmailFollowSave
When Should Girls Start Shaving

It is a common question that often begins to be heard in grade or middle school. This is a guide about when should girls start shaving.

Here are questions related to When Should Girls Start Shaving?.

Question: Once I Start Shaving Am I Committed For Life?

Right now it's winter so I really don't need to shave. I'm a diver, and no one really stares at my legs. When I have gym at school, I have to wear shorts. I see some people looking at my legs when I'm sitting on the floor. I really want to shave. My parents are fine with it. I'm afraid that once I start shaving, I will be committed for life because of the stubble. Once I shave, the fine point of the hair will be gone, and it will look thicker and darker since the razor is cutting the hair into a blunt edge. So, if I shave does that mean that I'm going to have to shave forever? Or would I be better off not shaving? I already bought a razor and shaving cream.

By W.W.

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Best Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 02/08/2015 Flag

I am 61 years old, and I have shaved my legs for years. Should I quit for awhile, the hair grows back, pretty much the same as it did before. Shaving will not change your hair. Think about men's beards. Do they change when they shave them and then let them grow, and then shave them again? No, of course not.

Once you have shaved your legs, if you run the razor over your legs daily, you will never have stubble. I do this, and it takes about a minute to keep this up, daily, after I shower. I do not use a shaving cream to do this.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Hair Without Shaving or Waxing

Every girl at my school shaves their legs and I'm not allowed to! I've asked my mom, tried to make a deal, even asked my dad! I have alot of hair on my legs! Is there a way to keep the hair from growing on my legs or to get rid of the hair without shaving or waxing?

Thanks,
Ana

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By help??maybe?? 1 1 08/16/2013 Flag

Ok so you maybe over this but what you can do is:
1) wash and scrub your legs hard enough to soften leg hair
2) put conditioner on your legs for about 5 minutes to soften
3) rinse it off and scrub again some should come off not all
4) if you have any kind off hair removal cream use it
5) if not repeat 1-3 again and every time your hair darts to grow back

Hope it helps :) It works for me.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Asking Mom About Shaving My Legs

So I'm going on to grade 9 and I want to shave my legs. It is summer and all my friends are wearing their shorts and I'm afraid to wear my shorts around them so I wear them when my friends are not around. I really want to ask my mom if I can shave my legs, but I'm scared. I've asked her about it a couple of years ago and I think she said I can do it when I want. But I'm scared to ask her now. She isn't struck and I really don't think she would get mad at me, but I don't know, I don't know how to ask her or tell her I want to. Even me grandmother said, "you soon need to start shaving your legs'. I said, "I know", but that's all there was to it. I was thinking now I know my legs are bad.

So can someone please tell me how I can tell my mom. I'm afraid to come right out and say it so I don't know if there's a way I can ask/tell her without really saying it. And going to the store and looking at the razors and bringing it up isn't going to work. Because I would find it very awkward. Help me!

By K.D.M

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Amy Singh 3 118 07/11/2013 Flag

When my girls, aged 14 and 16, go grocery shopping with me, they just put razors in the cart.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: When Do Girls Start Shaving?

What is the average age for a girl to start shaving?

Kittyclaw from Hendersonville, TN

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By FarminMama 1 04/13/2011 Flag

Great comments ... I've hesitated to bring the subject up with my nearly 12 year old, because she seems oblivious. After reading all these comments, I think I'll mention it to her, give her options (ie. shaving or not!) and leave it with her to decide. I know my husband would like her to wait until she's 25, but I think she needs options a little sooner than that! :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: How to Talk to Mother About Shaving Legs

I am afraid to ask my mom to shave but i hate my legs I have tried to bring up the subject but I keep chickening out. Please help me.

Whitney

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By miavia_mia 1 04/09/2013 Flag

Next time you are in a store that sells razors with your mom, casually pick some up and ask your mom if you can start shaving.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Asking Mom to Shave

So last year when I was 12, I realized how hairy my legs were. So I asked my mom to shave, but she said "no, I didn't start shaving till I was 27". That's an obvious sign that she doesn't want me to shave, but I really need to and I was gonna ask today, but what if she says no? My mom is a really easy going person, but I don't understand why she won't let me shave. I'm going into 8th grade and ever girl already shaves. Whenever I try talk about it I just don't say anything. I would really like to show off my legs, but I'm too embarrassed. Pleas help!

By Ariel.13

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Monique 1 3 06/23/2013 Flag

minkuti...you took the words right out of my mouth! I just want to add that Ariel13 I think it's great that you care about what your Mom thinks, that goes a long way to help the communication up between you two! Good luck :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: When Should Girls Start Shaving Their Legs?

At what age should girls start shaving their legs?

By precious from Chicago, IL

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By hopeful 27 135 07/18/2011 Flag

When I started shaving my legs at age 12, no one was there to teach me. (My mother didn't have hair on her legs, but I had lots!) So, being ignorant I ended up with bright red lines that burned because I pressed too hard on the razor. The red marks didn't appear for a couple of hours, so I didn't realize it was happening. The most important thing to do is warn your teen not to apply too much pressure. Instead of buying a special product to use as shaving cream, hair conditioner or hand cream works great, and there is no rinsing; just towel dry after shaving.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mom Won't Let Me Shave My Legs

I'm Jessie, I'm 14 years old and a 3rd year high school student. I'm going to have a prom and I don't know what to do. What if our theme is a cocktail dress? Should I wear stockings because I am so embarrassed about how I look.

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Question: When Should a Girl Start Shaving?

I am going to be 15 this May. My legs are so hairy that I feel so embarassed when I wear shorts and all. I really want to shave. But the problem that arises is that my mother doesn't shave. Last time when she got shaved was near her marriage. From then on my mother, who has so little hair that they don't even appear, has not shaved. So a few years ago she became a nun and she literally doesn't shave. What should I do? I also don't want that my mom should know about it. I am too shy to ask for a razor and all that stuff from a shopkeeper.

By Ishu

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By 4TruLady 8 140 04/08/2015 Flag

After some more thought about your post, it occurs to me that you may be from a different culture than what I'm used to here in North America? If so I think I understand your dilemma a little better, and perhaps it would be better if you asked one of your friend's mothers to help you, as a previous poster suggested.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Asking My Dad If I Can Shave My Legs

I'm 13 and have really hairy legs. I don't know how to ask my dad to shave because I fell like I would feel more comfortable asking my mom, but I only see her once every 3-4 months. What should I do?

By Destiny

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Kat 7 219 04/08/2015 Flag

Just ask him, and let him know how it makes you feel to have so much hair on your legs. Also don't be afraid to ask for shaving tips, to prevent you from having any issues like scrapes or razor burn. Plus, he will feel honored you asked for advice. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Asking Mom to Let You Shave Your Legs

My mom has talked to me about growing up, but I am embarrassed and I need something to make her notice, but it never comes out of my mouth! My leg hair is getting darker and more noticeable! Please help me.

By Adriana Marie

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By sophiamcgeehan.marie 1 05/15/2014 Flag

Well, my mom and I both speak Spanish, and my first language was English, so I felt more comfortable asking her in Spanish, so I could impress her with my Spanish skills as well as telling her what needed to be done. Afeitar means shave in Spanish. Write it down on a piece of paper and ask her to look up the definition tell her it is Spanish. Also come up with a few good reasons why you think so and a reliable resource.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: When Should Little Girls Start Shaving

What age do you think is appropriate for little girls to shave their legs? My mom wanted me to wait until I was about 14 or 15 to shave, that was pretty embarrassing, but I was a compliant child, but this day and age it seems kids start doing everything earlier. I'm not the type of parent that lets their kids do whatever everyone else is doing and when they do it. But I just wanted some input.

Thanks,
PeggyGV

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By killerdimples 1 18 09/29/2012 Flag

I think early middle school would be acceptable. It's when their bodies are developing into young women anyways.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Solutions: When Should Girls Start Shaving?

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: When Do Girls Start Shaving?

Archive: When Should Little Girls Start Shaving

What age do you think is appropriate for little girls to shave their legs? My mom wanted me to wait until I was about 14 or 15 to shave, that was pretty embarrassing but I was a compliant child but this day and age it seems kids start doing everything earlier. I'm not the type of parent that lets their kids do whatever everyone else is doing and when they do it.