When Should Girls Start Shaving?

Category Shaving
When Should Girls Start Shaving
It is a common question that often begins to be heard in grade or middle school. This is a guide about when should girls start shaving.

I am afraid to ask my mom to shave but i hate my legs I have tried to bring up the subject but I keep chickening out. Please help me.

Whitney

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

I decided to ask my mom early this morning... She said it hadn't even crossed her mind about me possibly shaving(even though I'm 12) she then said she would buy me a razor then teach me how..(though we've had the talk already) and I will have to shower then tomorrow morning I will begin shaving.. So don't worry at all it will feel great for her to know and to get it off your back

Unless this is a cultural or religious issue, I would simply ask mom to have a chat. Explain to her how you are feeling and that you wish to do something about it. Maybe you are not ready to shave with a razor however there are products out there like Nair hair remover which is a lotion you smooth on your legs and leave on for 4 minutes and wipe the hair away that you can be responsible enough to use. My daughter started with this method at 10 years old and was just allowed to try to use the razor at 12 years old. She is doing beautifully. Remember we were young ladies too once and I am sure your mother will understand how the appearance of your legs matters to you.

I know exactly how you feel! I am 71 and had the same trouble working up nerve to ask my mama. When I finally did she said I might want to do the underarms too. She was waiting for me to bring it up for fear of hurting my feelings.

I'm with the other ladies, your mom probably remembers and will be be understanding so just ask. If your mom objects to the razor, ask if you can use the lotion. Most moms are ok with the lotions.

IMHO, the mother should be taking the lead on shaving. It should form part of guidance on growing up, like using deodrants, wearing stockings and bra's, etc. OK, I was a teenager more than 40, yes FORTY!! years ago, but the basic situation is the same. So many young girls have posted about their need to shave and their fears/hesitation in asking their mothers about it. So, all you mothers out there, reach out to your daughters and they will appreciate you for it.

I guess this is really a response to all the people sympathetically discouraging young girls to want to start shaving now, when later in life shaving will become a hassle and a chore.

I have to point out that it's not true that you have to "keep shaving" for the rest of your life. I remember being, I don't know, 11, and begging my mom to let me shave. She let me, and since I both wanted and probably needed to shave, (fluffy clouds and ponies) everything was happy and wonderful and great. At least that's how I remember it. Now I'm 27 and I hate shaving. So I don't. Let it grow. It will turn soft again. You only really have to shave in your life when A) you're doing it for you, or B) you're doing it for someone else. If a little girl, or anyone, would benefit from the self esteem booster of feeling pretty and having hairless legs, that's certainly a good reason to want to shave. If when you get a little older and you find you don't want or need your legs to be hairless for whatever reason, then that's fine too, in my book.

BUT! I also have to point out to any girls out there who haven't started shaving yet who are concerned that people might notice that their legs are hairy, I really and truly doubt that anyone even notices. I remember worrying about people noticing my leg hair at that age, and I remember wondering if people thought me having hairy legs meant I was somehow childish, but I don't remember ever noticing anybody else's leg hair. I don't ever remember thinking badly of any of the other girls for having leg hair, if they did. So, don't do it for them, because they're not really looking at you. They're busy worrying about what you think of them. Actually, a lot of things in life are that way, and they'll pretty much stay that way even when you're an adult. If you want to do it, please only want to do it for yourself. Sorry if that sounds hokey, but I wish someone had told me that when I was that age.

The most terrifying part is asking. But I agree with the other posters- A lot of moms wait for their daughters to bring it up out of fear of embarassing them. Honestly, would you want your mom to mention it to you? When I asked my mom about shaving, she took me right out and we bought an assortment of razors and creams and I spent the evening figuring out which I preferred. (I was nervous about using a razor at first) And don't be surprised if she pouts a little. It can be sentimental when a daughter grows up. :)

I know how you feel, I am 30 and still waiting waiting for my 12 year old daughter to ask me if she can shave. Of course I'm going to say yes because her puberty is out of this world she is always talking about BOYS BOYS BOYS, and how their looking at her legs and picking on her but I know she is just afraid to ask. I STARTED shaving at the age 12 and she needs to ask me.

Ask your mom how old she was when she started shavng her legs. This will lead into the subject of letting her know you are interested in starting and ask for her opinion. Moms love it when their daughters ask them for advice. If she is concerned about the razor (there's a lot out there that are much safer than in my time) and is difficult to cut yourself even in the learning process. Good luck!

If none of these suggestions appeal to you, then when your mom is sitting down put your leg up on her lap and ask "ya think it's time"....? You probably won't have a problem asking her when you could go out on a date, so this shouldn't be either. If this is a problem, put shavers on her grocery list and then I am sure she will come to you!

I would say: Mom, I need to talk to you when you have a chance about something that has been bothering me. Then let her know just how important it is to you and why. You might not want to say, because all my friends are doing it, just stick to why it is important to you and that you have researched the best and safest ways to do it.

Or, your could start by asking her how old she was when she started shaving her legs.

Good luck!

Mary Lou

I had this problem. Seriously it is so much easier to get up the courage and ask her directly. I'm sure she did it when she was young, ask her how old she was! My mum wouldn't let me at first so be prepared to keep trying. Good luck!

Whitney,

Just be honest us moms were kids too and remember we went through the same things with our moms too tell her your legs make you feel uncomfortable and you would like to have nice smooth ones I bet your mom hasn't even given thought to it as we all wanna keep our girls lil! Honesty is best! Good luck it will probably be so easy you will wonder why you fretted at all.

the next time you both are in walmart shopping and she goes to the section for shampoo etc. find that area where the shavers are and start the topic of conversation there by saying"is this the type I would use to shave my legs because I would really like to start doing so mom" I'm sure she'll remember her time in her life and feel its your time too. Sometimes the moms get so busy they just simply do not think of all these things or changes you are going through. And you'll have to bring it up so she can remember when she went through the same thing at your age. After its said & done you'll see it was just a grain of sand & not a mountain to climb in the asking her about it.

I had this problem when I was in 5th grade, im in 8th now. I was with my older sister at the grocery store and she asked me if i wanted to, I said yes. But Just ask your mom and say its really been bugging you and you feel like its time. But how old are you? Dont be in a rush to grow up and do that because i did it young and once you do it you really cant stop.

I am 12 and have no older sisters (or any siblings for that matter). How do I ask my mom. People always say ask her like you asked her to wear a bra. Well she asked me about that so, HELP!

I have the same problem. I'm 12 in 7th grade and really scared. My sister started in 7th grade but it's still scary and very embarrassing.

Hey!

- I am 13 years old (7th grade), and I just started shaving when I was 12 years old! (last april) MY GOD it was so hard to ask my mom about shaving my legs, at the beggining of the year I finally worked up the nerve to ask her about a bra, and she said of course.

What I did to ask about shaving: it was a weekend, and me and my mom were in the living room sitting on the couch, and I just leaned over and put my head on her shoulders and asked what magazine she was reading, and then I sorta just said "mom, I think i should shave my legs, because i kind of feel uncomftorable sometimes, since i will be wearing shorts all summer."

That is what I said, and it worked! I hope this helps! I know EXACTLY what you are going through, but now I can talk to my mom about anything puberty related.

I am going to go ask my mum now, I am so scared but I think I will bring it up whilst at the super market. I hope you is waiting for me to ask! I have been sneaking around using my sisters for ages though, think shes notices but she hasn't mentioned anything!

Here it goes....

Just wanted to say that I'm 14 and in 9th grade. I started shaving in 7th grade when I was like 12. I DO have an older sister, but I didn't have to ask her, because I am a twin. She and I switch off asking our mom things like this. The way we decide is to do rock, paper, scissors, shoot, and whoever looses has to ask.

I asked our mom about bras in 5th grade (which she was fine with), and then Rosie (my twin) had to ask about shaving. Our mom said yes, and she just gave us money to go get it ourselves. I guess she used to this though, because we have an older sister and she grew up having 3 younger sisters who came to her about this stuff.

I think that in a couple of months I'm gonna ask my little (11 years old) sister if she wants to shave bwcause the hair on her legs is really dark, and I feel bad for her!

Farhana- I'm so sorry that your mom said no! Did you ask her about if you could use something like Nair or Veet? Maybe she's just concerned about you using a razor.

When I asked about shaving, I had to ask my dad, because I was at his house for 2 months and it was gonna be summer so i needed to ask before I went off to camp (I didn't want to be the ONLY girl at sleep over camp WITHOUT a razor).

So I said to my dad, 'hey, dad do you think you could take me to the store to get something for camp?' he said, 'well, what do you need?' so I told him, 'I was thinking I could get some shaving things' but of course, he was totally clueless. so he chuckled and said, 'what do you need those for?'

Fortunately, my sister who is a year younger than me came into the room (after hearing the convo) and put her legs on his lap and said, 'dad, she wants to shave her legs and so do I!' he looked kind of shocked but agreed to take us (and now we each get a $25 a month allowance from him for "girl things" like shaving stuff, pads, tampons, bras). That was when i was 12 by the way, and my sister was 11

I don't know how old you are and that's good to keep things in general...I know I was in 5th grade when I started shaving... I know it bothered me too. "All the girls in my sunday school class wear pantyhose", I was open and honest with my mom on how I felt.

I will tell you this.....once you start....you have to keep it up and it's not a glamorous thing! :)

My younger daughter looked young for her age and I just told her when she was in 5th grade that she too could shave, but that she should wait until 6th and she did....none of her friends gave her a hard time and it worked out great for her.

That being said....don't always try to fit in the crowd, but if it really bothers you...sit down with your mom and be honest and respect her final decision.

Best thing to do is to put it into a letter. If you write the letter on your computer, then you can get it in decent shape before you print it and leave it out for her (in a place where nobody else will get it). If you handwrite it she's more likely to say yes, but you can still use the computer for figuring out what to say.

If I wrote it, it would say:

Mom, I'm shy, I'm nervous about asking, but I would like to shave my legs. They obviously need it, it seems to me. Please help me get going with taking care of myself in this way, since I will need supplies for this, like something to shave with. Thank you for your time. Sincerely, ...

same situation 35 years ago!! I paid my little brother & his friends to 'taunt' me & call me doggy legs or something, then I pretended to cry & ran to mommy. She said "go ahead, but once you do, you'll never be able to stop".... BOY, I wish I'd listened instead of being in such a hurry to grow up!

Just know that it changes your LIFE because from then on, you'll pretty much be a SLAVE to the razor!

Just ask your mother and be honest. She will understand my daughter was the same way and ended up trying it on her own and it was a bloody mess in the bath tub. She put too much pressure on the razor and cut her legs, just ask your mother to show you. She will.

Hi there, Maybe starting for the first times, a good electric razer would be best. They have them for duel purpose, legs and underarms . much safer, keep away from water though.

P.S. After you ask your mom. The electric razer can be used in your bedroom. That way your not taking up bathroom time, which she and others will appreciate very much.

well i just googled how to ask your mom, if u can shave your legs and i am looking at everyones response and now i am gunna go ask her wish me luck ;]

I feel the same, I just don't know what to do, it took me ages to tell my mam I had started my period, but I knew I had to tell her. I felt myself cringe when I did! She was fine with it, but I'm really shy and I just can't bring myself to ask my mam about shaving my legs! I keep thinking right, I'm going to ask her but then when I see her I just can't! I know it sounds stupid but I can't help it and I am really embarrassed in p.e. cause I feel as if everyone is staring at my legs and I have dark hair as well (I'm 13 by the way) xx please help :(

So I'm going on to grade 9 and I want to shave my legs. It is summer and all my friends are wearing their shorts and I'm afraid to wear my shorts around them so I wear them when my friends are not around. I really want to ask my mom if I can shave my legs, but I'm scared. I've asked her about it a couple of years ago and I think she said I can do it when I want. But I'm scared to ask her now. She isn't struck and I really don't think she would get mad at me, but I don't know, I don't know how to ask her or tell her I want to. Even me grandmother said, "you soon need to start shaving your legs'. I said, "I know", but that's all there was to it. I was thinking now I know my legs are bad.

So can someone please tell me how I can tell my mom. I'm afraid to come right out and say it so I don't know if there's a way I can ask/tell her without really saying it. And going to the store and looking at the razors and bringing it up isn't going to work. Because I would find it very awkward. Help me!

By K.D.M

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I am so against this. Girls don't NEED to shave. That's the pressure society puts on us, but it doesn't have to be that way. Girls here sound like they don't have another option. Feeling embarrassed? Why should you feel embarrassed about your body's natural state? Why aren't boys treated the same way? Hair is hair no matter the body it is on. Shaving should be something you do for yourself and not because people expect you to.

Right now it's winter so I really don't need to shave. I'm a diver, and no one really stares at my legs. When I have gym at school, I have to wear shorts. I see some people looking at my legs when I'm sitting on the floor. I really want to shave. My parents are fine with it. I'm afraid that once I start shaving, I will be committed for life because of the stubble. Once I shave, the fine point of the hair will be gone, and it will look thicker and darker since the razor is cutting the hair into a blunt edge. So, if I shave does that mean that I'm going to have to shave forever? Or would I be better off not shaving? I already bought a razor and shaving cream.

By W.W.

Best Answer

I am 61 years old, and I have shaved my legs for years. Should I quit for awhile, the hair grows back, pretty much the same as it did before. Shaving will not change your hair. Think about men's beards. Do they change when they shave them and then let them grow, and then shave them again? No, of course not.

Once you have shaved your legs, if you run the razor over your legs daily, you will never have stubble. I do this, and it takes about a minute to keep this up, daily, after I shower. I do not use a shaving cream to do this.

What is the average age for a girl to start shaving?

Kittyclaw from Hendersonville, TN

Answer Was this helpful? 1

So last year when I was 12, I realized how hairy my legs were. So I asked my mom to shave, but she said "no, I didn't start shaving till I was 27". That's an obvious sign that she doesn't want me to shave, but I really need to and I was gonna ask today, but what if she says no? My mom is a really easy going person, but I don't understand why she won't let me shave. I'm going into 8th grade and ever girl already shaves. Whenever I try talk about it I just don't say anything. I would really like to show off my legs, but I'm too embarrassed. Pleas help!

By Ariel.13

At what age should girls start shaving their legs?

By precious from Chicago, IL

I am going to be 15 this May. My legs are so hairy that I feel so embarassed when I wear shorts and all. I really want to shave. But the problem that arises is that my mother doesn't shave. Last time when she got shaved was near her marriage. From then on my mother, who has so little hair that they don't even appear, has not shaved. So a few years ago she became a nun and she literally doesn't shave. What should I do? I also don't want that my mom should know about it. I am too shy to ask for a razor and all that stuff from a shopkeeper.

By Ishu

I'm Jessie, I'm 14 years old and a 3rd year high school student. I'm going to have a prom and I don't know what to do. What if our theme is a cocktail dress? Should I wear stockings because I am so embarrassed about how I look.

I have hairy legs, but I notice my mom has smooth and soft skin and I'm opposite of it. The other day I saw a razor in our bathroom and I felt like I should use it to shave my legs. Then when I started to shave a little part of my skin I remembered that I should ask my mom if I could shave my legs. So I started to ask her if I could shave my legs. She just said "No. Many girls have hairy legs. The hair on your legs will become more and more thick and darker if you do. Trust me. You're too young for thinking that and your are so insecure, just study hard!"

I started to run in my room and started to cry. She doesn't know what I am feeling. When I wear shorts I fake feeling comfortable because every time I wear shorts everybody's looking at my legs and I can see how their faces react. They are like saying, "eew". So can somebody help me? Sorry for my grammar I'm not good at it, but I tried hard.

By Harlett A.

Can you talk to a female teacher or school counselor to have a quiet word with your mother? or perhaps a relative? I had the same problem when I was your age, having hairy legs showing is very embarrassing and I feel for you. In the end, my aunt spoke to my mother and persuaded her to let me shave my legs.

Hi - sounds like you have some good advice. Does your Mom read this column? If not, maybe you could show this to her and let her see how and what everyone has advised you. Might help (and might not!).

I do urge you to get an aunt or another adult female friend or relative to speak to your mom. Or perhaps, if your dad is approachable, he might intercede on your behalf.

First, be assured that most people are NOT looking at your legs to see if they are shaved or not. And anyone who would comment on or tease you about it is NOT your friend. However, that being said, there is absolutely no reason not to shave your legs if you think that they need shaving and you would prefer to have them look hairless. Shaving is by far the least invasive method of hair removal. I used to use my father's electric shaver and there is no risk of cutting yourself with an electric shaver. (I think it was a couple of years before he realized I was doing so!!! ha ha) Shaving will not make your hair grow back thicker or darker or anything like that. Sometimes it appears that it grows in darker if you have been wearing shorts and the sun has bleached the hair. Of course, when it grows back, it will not be sunbleached.

If there is no way to convince your mom about this at this time, by all means, wear panty hose to the prom. Sometimes girls wear fancy colors of hose to match their dresses. I don't know if that is style at this time, but the gals in a dress shop would be able to advise you of the latest trends.

I'm 13 and have really hairy legs. I don't know how to ask my dad to shave because I fell like I would feel more comfortable asking my mom, but I only see her once every 3-4 months. What should I do?

By Destiny

My mom has talked to me about growing up, but I am embarrassed and I need something to make her notice, but it never comes out of my mouth! My leg hair is getting darker and more noticeable! Please help me.

By Adriana Marie

What age do you think is appropriate for little girls to shave their legs? My mom wanted me to wait until I was about 14 or 15 to shave, that was pretty embarrassing, but I was a compliant child, but this day and age it seems kids start doing everything earlier. I'm not the type of parent that lets their kids do whatever everyone else is doing and when they do it. But I just wanted some input.

Thanks,
PeggyGV

Kittyclaw from Hendersonville, TN

Answers:

When Do Girls Start Shaving?

Usually any age between 10 and 13. Normally when they start to grow pubic hair and their leg hair starts to get thicker. Hope this helps. (06/01/2006)

By smathis123

When Do Girls Start Shaving?

I told my daughter that she had to wait until she started her period before she could shave. She was thrilled to start shaving, but she found it to

actually be a curse, too, after awhile. (06/02/2006)

By Susie0813

When Do Girls Start Shaving?

Your daughter will know when it's time. Trust her judgement. When she starts feeling uncomfortable with her excess hair, when her friends are doing

it and/or making comments. I started around 12 or 13, but I took it a little too far the first time. I shaved my legs and my arms. (06/02/2006)

By jrslady

When Do Girls Start Shaving?

I started the summer after 6th grade. I felt a lot of pressure from classmates to start shaving. (06/03/2006)

By Allison

When Do Girls Start Shaving?

I started shaving Saturday, and I didnt even have to ask. My mom walked into my room and told me that she thought I should start shaving. She found

her electric shaver, and she helped me with the first leg but after she showed me I got the hang of it. I love my silky smooth legs. I think it is a

good time to shave when ever you feel self concious. It is okay, just go to your mom in a serious tone and ask her woman to woman that you think it is

about time that you start shaving. When you first start shaving I think it is good to start with an electric razor, because it is almost impossible to

cut yourself and it even tickles until you get used to it. Good luck girls. (04/30/2007)

By Kayla C.

When Do Girls Start Shaving?

I'm 30, I have a condition called PCOS, and I got dark hair when I was around 8-9 years old. My mom taught me to shave around 10 years old. I started

waxing my lip and eyebrows when I was 14. I'm really sorry some moms are being strict about it. It's hard being a teenager and having hairy anything

just makes it that much harder. (06/25/2007)

By guest named jo

When Do Girls Start Shaving?

I personally have just started, and I'm 15. Honestly, the only time it bugs me is when I go swimming, but no one has ever said anything about it to

me. The fact that I rarely show off my legs might have something to do with it, but if no one notices, I say don't bother. For example, my friends

started shaving around the seventh grade, but I honestly couldn't tell. (And one of them shaves her arms.) I honestly only started noticing body hair

on my peers when the guys started with the serious 'woolly man-beast' legs, about this year. (9th grade/HS freshman)

Just my two cents. (06/27/2007)

By A. Moral

When Do Girls Start Shaving?

To All Moms from a much older Mom: Please talk to your children about this topic (and all others). Help them be comfortable with approaching you about

personal hygiene and health issues. Understand that when something as simple as this is a major concern for your kids it is important to discuss and

teach. Shaving necessitates using a razor. If your child is really bothered by hairy legs/underarms, please get them their own razor/shaving cream and

teach them. Don't risk having them use friends' razors etc. Healthwise this is very dangerous. Bloodborne diseases (Hepatitis C and HIV) CAN be

transmitted in this manner and it really is not worth the risk. This is an issue that goes beyond shaving. If your child is afraid to approach you for

shaving their legs, what else won't they talk to you about? This goes for daughters and sons. (07/02/2007)

By Love to decorate!

shaving

My first daughter, who is now 21 and hates to have to shave, wanted to shave at 12. Because she had very little noticible hair that was blonde peachy

fuzz, I encouraged her to hold off, but she insisted and just starting doing it againt my judgment. My second daughter is from an Italian-Greek father

and has dark brown hair. I bought her an Intiution razor about six months ago, told her it was time to start shaving, and showed her how. I wanted to

save her embarrassment with the black, hairy legs and pit hair. She'll be 14 in Oct. Every girl is different and develops at different stages. The

reason moms do not want you to rush into shaving is because we know what drudgery it is to be a slave to a razor for the next 40+ years of your life.

Don't be in a rush to grow up girls, but if you are noticing the hair and feel self conscious about it, be open with your moms and if they demand that

you not shave well, then I guess you'll either be stuck with hair, or you'll be shaving at your BF's house. (08/22/2007)

By A. Mom

When Do Girls Start Shaving?

I am a mom of an almost 12 year old. Of course I don't want my baby girl to start shaving. It means she is growing up, She also has never made a big

deal out of it and I think she knows how bad I hate shaving and once you start you have to keep it up. Anyway, summer is coming and I have been

noticing black underarm hair for a while now and it is getting really bushy and I am gonna go ahead and teach her how to shave because she really

needs to and I want her to be safe about it. I put it off as long as I could but I would hate for another kid at school to make a big deal out of it

and embarrass her.

So if you are scared to ask your mom make sure you actually need to shave and she should understand completely. You know us moms were kids once

too. Good luck. (05/02/2008)

By Loving Mom

When Do Girls Start Shaving?

My daughter is 9 and she is welcome to start shaving anytime she wants. A lot of mothers say no because you catch them off guard and it is just a

reflex. Girls, it is important to give them a little time to think about it before they answer. No mother wants to admit to themselves that their baby

girl is growing up. Please do not be afraid to ask and give her time to deside. You might be suprised at the answer you get. It is very important to

be able to talk to your mothers, always. Explain that it make you feel bad to be hairy and you might get further then just asking if you can shave.

Good luck. (07/06/2008)

By mybailey

When Do Girls Start Shaving?

I'm fifteen and I haven't started shaving yet.

1. Because I can't be bothered: too much hassle, why waste an hour every week or more often getting hair-free legs when I could be out with my mates

wearing jeans?

2. Because nobody has commented or asked if I want to.

3. I will shave when I want to and when I feel ready.
However, I do shave my underarms.
(08/24/2008)

By Rachael

When Do Girls Start Shaving?

Thanks to all you girls for the honesty here. I have an 11 year old who has mentioned that she feels ready to shave. I remember sneaking my sister's

razor in 5th grade, so I did not want her to go through that (I didn't know what I was doing and cut myself really bad). I think that it should be up

to the girl herself. If you are ready and it can help your self esteem, ask your parents. They want you to feel good about yourself. I'm saying yes

to my daughter today. (10/28/2008)

By Michele/A Mom

What age do you think is appropriate for little girls to shave their legs? My mom wanted me to wait until I was about 14 or 15 to shave, that was pretty embarrassing but I was a compliant child but this day and age it seems kids start doing everything earlier. I'm not the type of parent that lets their kids do whatever everyone else is doing and when they do it.