When Should Girls Start Shaving?

It is a common question that often begins to be heard in grade or middle school. This is a guide about when should girls start shaving.

October 6, 2007 Flag

I am afraid to ask my mom to shave but i hate my legs I have tried to bring up the subject but I keep chickening out. Please help me.

Whitney

Best Answer

I decided to ask my mom early this morning... She said it hadn't even crossed her mind about me possibly shaving(even though I'm 12) she then said she would buy me a razor then teach me how..(though we've had the talk already) and I will have to shower then tomorrow morning I will begin shaving.. So don't worry at all it will feel great for her to know and to get it off your back

You should say mom don't yell at me but I want to no how to shave but if you are afraid just don't ask her.

February 3, 2015 Flag

Right now it's winter so I really don't need to shave. I'm a diver, and no one really stares at my legs. When I have gym at school, I have to wear shorts. I see some people looking at my legs when I'm sitting on the floor. I really want to shave. My parents are fine with it. I'm afraid that once I start shaving, I will be committed for life because of the stubble. Once I shave, the fine point of the hair will be gone, and it will look thicker and darker since the razor is cutting the hair into a blunt edge. So, if I shave does that mean that I'm going to have to shave forever? Or would I be better off not shaving? I already bought a razor and shaving cream.

By W.W.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I am 61 years old, and I have shaved my legs for years. Should I quit for awhile, the hair grows back, pretty much the same as it did before. Shaving will not change your hair. Think about men's beards. Do they change when they shave them and then let them grow, and then shave them again? No, of course not.

Once you have shaved your legs, if you run the razor over your legs daily, you will never have stubble. I do this, and it takes about a minute to keep this up, daily, after I shower. I do not use a shaving cream to do this.

I'm 21 years old and started shaving around middle school. I regret it. You will no longer have fine hair, but rough stubble you will have to keep up with and it grows very quickly. Shaving may seem like the cool thing to do now, but it isn't worth it in the long run. Try bleaching instead, they're natural bleachers out there like lemon juice for example. And keep your legs in shape, moisturized, and the hair brushed downward if you're going for a neater look.

July 9, 2013 Flag

So I'm going on to grade 9 and I want to shave my legs. It is summer and all my friends are wearing their shorts and I'm afraid to wear my shorts around them so I wear them when my friends are not around. I really want to ask my mom if I can shave my legs, but I'm scared. I've asked her about it a couple of years ago and I think she said I can do it when I want. But I'm scared to ask her now. She isn't struck and I really don't think she would get mad at me, but I don't know, I don't know how to ask her or tell her I want to. Even me grandmother said, "you soon need to start shaving your legs'. I said, "I know", but that's all there was to it. I was thinking now I know my legs are bad.

So can someone please tell me how I can tell my mom. I'm afraid to come right out and say it so I don't know if there's a way I can ask/tell her without really saying it. And going to the store and looking at the razors and bringing it up isn't going to work. Because I would find it very awkward. Help me!

By K.D.M

Im in grade 6. I use hair removal cream and would definitely recommend it. It doesn't hurt and works better in my opinion. It seems like im a bit young but i wanted to start so...

Im sure your mum would be totally understanding so don't worry about it. Hope ive helped 

I am so against this. Girls don't NEED to shave. That's the pressure society puts on us, but it doesn't have to be that way. Girls here sound like they don't have another option. Feeling embarrassed? Why should you feel embarrassed about your body's natural state? Why aren't boys treated the same way? Hair is hair no matter the body it is on. Shaving should be something you do for yourself and not because people expect you to.

August 12, 2005 Flag

Every girl at my school shaves their legs and I'm not allowed to! I've asked my mom, tried to make a deal, even asked my dad! I have alot of hair on my legs! Is there a way to keep the hair from growing on my legs or to get rid of the hair without shaving or waxing?

Thanks,
Ana

So I'm 14 and my mom doesn't let me shave... So I resort to plucking. It is time consuming so I do it weeks before summer so by then my legs are hair free! It does hurt a bit but I consider it my only option

Try putting flour on your legs and rubbing the excess of, it makes the hairs less visible.

April 1, 2015 Flag

I am going to be 15 this May. My legs are so hairy that I feel so embarassed when I wear shorts and all. I really want to shave. But the problem that arises is that my mother doesn't shave. Last time when she got shaved was near her marriage. From then on my mother, who has so little hair that they don't even appear, has not shaved. So a few years ago she became a nun and she literally doesn't shave. What should I do? I also don't want that my mom should know about it. I am too shy to ask for a razor and all that stuff from a shopkeeper.

By Ishu

I am curious as to why you would have to ask a shopkeeper? Not sure where you live but perhaps you could get a friend with a more permissive mother to buy them for you.

After some more thought about your post, it occurs to me that you may be from a different culture than what I'm used to here in North America? If so I think I understand your dilemma a little better, and perhaps it would be better if you asked one of your friend's mothers to help you, as a previous poster suggested.

June 21, 2013 Flag

So last year when I was 12, I realized how hairy my legs were. So I asked my mom to shave, but she said "no, I didn't start shaving till I was 27". That's an obvious sign that she doesn't want me to shave, but I really need to and I was gonna ask today, but what if she says no? My mom is a really easy going person, but I don't understand why she won't let me shave. I'm going into 8th grade and ever girl already shaves. Whenever I try talk about it I just don't say anything. I would really like to show off my legs, but I'm too embarrassed. Pleas help!

By Ariel.13

I'm old enough to be a bit older than your mom, and I _still_ remember when I was your age, having the same problem. It was really embarrassing, because I wasn't trying to look sexy or provocative, I just didn't want the nickname of Sasquach among the kids at school!

I must have been 14 before I was actually allowed to do it. I think I tried hair removers like Nair and Neet on my own first, but they didn't work well, although they did at least thin it up a bit. And there was still enough hair left to keep me from getting into trouble... :)

Your mom isn't trying to be mean. She just doesn't want to think of her child becoming an adult. And maybe subconsciously she knows that your not shaving your legs will keep you dressing a bit more demurely than you might otherwise.

My recommendation as an adult is to be open and honest with her. Don't just tell her "everyone else is doing it," as this is a statement that immediately rubs parents the wrong way and makes them worry about raising lemmings. Tell her that you are very embarrassed about the amount of hair on your legs and that it is making you uncomfortable with your body and that you feel it is time that you were able to do something about it. Remind her that it has been a year since you brought it up in the past.

On the other hand, my recommendation as someone who went through the same thing is that razors are pretty cheap. It isn't that much different than wearing a bra or using deodorant. It is considered a personal hygiene issue by our peers, and at some point the vast majority of us do it, whether our parents make it easy for us, or not.

PS- Shaving your legs does not cause your hair to grow in faster or thicker. That is just a myth. It just feels a little spiky for a while when it is growing back out.

Good luck!

minkuti...you took the words right out of my mouth! I just want to add that Ariel13 I think it's great that you care about what your Mom thinks, that goes a long way to help the communication up between you two! Good luck :)

April 6, 2015 Flag

I'm 13 and have really hairy legs. I don't know how to ask my dad to shave because I fell like I would feel more comfortable asking my mom, but I only see her once every 3-4 months. What should I do?

By Destiny

Contact your mom for permission. Or just ask your dad. It's not like you are asking for permission to date or live on your own. It's a biological "right of passage" for all girls for their legs/underarms and for boys and their faces. Good luck.

Sometimes the hardest part is beginning the conversation. How about... starting off by saying something like "Dad, I feel like I have more hair on my legs than you do. When can I start shaving my legs?" Just think about it. Best wishes.

June 12, 2013 Flag

I'm Jessie, I'm 14 years old and a 3rd year high school student. I'm going to have a prom and I don't know what to do. What if our theme is a cocktail dress? Should I wear stockings because I am so embarrassed about how I look.

I have hairy legs, but I notice my mom has smooth and soft skin and I'm opposite of it. The other day I saw a razor in our bathroom and I felt like I should use it to shave my legs. Then when I started to shave a little part of my skin I remembered that I should ask my mom if I could shave my legs. So I started to ask her if I could shave my legs. She just said "No. Many girls have hairy legs. The hair on your legs will become more and more thick and darker if you do. Trust me. You're too young for thinking that and your are so insecure, just study hard!"

I started to run in my room and started to cry. She doesn't know what I am feeling. When I wear shorts I fake feeling comfortable because every time I wear shorts everybody's looking at my legs and I can see how their faces react. They are like saying, "eew". So can somebody help me? Sorry for my grammar I'm not good at it, but I tried hard.

By Harlett A.

Can you talk to a female teacher or school counselor to have a quiet word with your mother? or perhaps a relative? I had the same problem when I was your age, having hairy legs showing is very embarrassing and I feel for you. In the end, my aunt spoke to my mother and persuaded her to let me shave my legs.

Hi - sounds like you have some good advice. Does your Mom read this column? If not, maybe you could show this to her and let her see how and what everyone has advised you. Might help (and might not!).

Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ShavingFebruary 6, 2013
Daughters Horse Riding Daddy
Raising Girls
A pink razor.
Shaving Your Bikini Area
A woman shaving her legs.
Tips for Shaving Your Legs
Homemade Shave Cream
Homemade Shaving Cream Recipes
🎄