Asking Mom About Shaving My Legs

So I'm going on to grade 9 and I want to shave my legs. It is summer and all my friends are wearing their shorts and I'm afraid to wear my shorts around them so I wear them when my friends are not around. I really want to ask my mom if I can shave my legs, but I'm scared. I've asked her about it a couple of years ago and I think she said I can do it when I want.

But I'm scared to ask her now. She isn't struck and I really don't think she would get mad at me, but I don't know, I don't know how to ask her or tell her I want to. Even me grandmother said, "you soon need to start shaving your legs'. I said, "I know", but that's all there was to it. I was thinking now I know my legs are bad.

So can someone please tell me how I can tell my mom. I'm afraid to come right out and say it so I don't know if there's a way I can ask/tell her without really saying it. And going to the store and looking at the razors and bringing it up isn't going to work. Because I would find it very awkward. Help me!

By K.D.M

Ask Grandma to tell Mom. Grandma's aren't afraid of Moms LOL. Mine is in 5th grade and is already doing it. Anything you can do to feel better (that is harmless) you should do.

At your age you're plenty old enough to get rid of some stupid hair on your legs. Bikini area, go WITH the hair growth so you don't break out. Be gentle.

When you are sitting with your mom and wearing shorts just ask her if she thinks it's time to start shaving your legs. Most of us wish we had never started shaving our legs -- but it is a societal thing nowadays. Just know, when you begin, you never stop! good luck. (You should be able to talk to your mother about anything!) :)

I do not understand why you would be afraid of asking your mom about this?

The best way to open up this discussion is to tell your mom that you would like to wear shorts more often, like you friends but you think you should shave your legs before doing that. I am sure that she will understand. If you want to mention it, you could say that even Grandma mentioned it to you. I think your mom will be glad to help you out. I know I would be.

Can you talk to Gran, tell her your problem? She might bring it up for you. I'm sure your mum wouldn't want you to be worrying so much about this.

Marg from England.

When my girls, aged 14 and 16, go grocery shopping with me, they just put razors in the cart.

Anonymous

i was in year 7 when i started shaving . i went into a supermarket and was looking at them , and i had enough money for a pack so i tried to buy them but you had to be 18 to buy them . so later that night i told my mum " why do you have to be 18 to buy razors?" she replied with " it is because of the blades on it , if you want me to buy you some so you can shave before .P.E at school then i can" ever since then i have shaved. hope this helped

Okay, I started shaving in fourth grade. I
All I said was, " Mom, I'm embarrassed." M:"Why?" Me" Cuz my !egs are hairy. Everybody stares at me. Can I shave? "

By K.f.

Im in grade 6. I use hair removal cream and would definitely recommend it. It doesn't hurt and works better in my opinion. It seems like im a bit young but i wanted to start so...
Im sure your mum would be totally understanding so don't worry about it. Hope ive helped

Wear long pants when it's hot outside and when your mom comments on why u r wearing long pants tell her u r embarrassed

I am so against this. Girls don't NEED to shave. That's the pressure society puts on us, but it doesn't have to be that way. Girls here sound like they don't have another option. Feeling embarrassed? Why should you feel embarrassed about your body's natural state? Why aren't boys treated the same way? Hair is hair no matter the body it is on. Shaving should be something you do for yourself and not because people expect you to.

That seems fair, but kids can be cruel. The "mean girls" can really make a kid's life miserable. It's one thing to say, "Be yourself, you don't have to do anything you don't want to," but you may be very much stronger emotionally, and that makes a difference.

Bullying can lead to depression, eating disorders and other problems, and leg shaving is actually a pretty simple thing.
I think young ladies should feel free to make a stand on principle when they're old enough to have a strong sense of self and realize their self-worth isn't bound up with others' opinions. But when you're young, there is nothing wrong with trying to fit in better. It's a natural stage of development.