Asking Your Parents to Let You Shave

Category Shaving
Young girls and boys are often hesitant about asking their parents to let them begin shaving. This is a guide about asking your parents to let you shave.

My name is Katie and I am 14 years old. I am a freshman in high school, and I dont shave. I would really like to but I am just too afraid to ask my mom. I am so embarresd by it and I need your adivce. I was wondering if I should just start (buy my own razors and go for it) or if I should just ask my mom.

I am still afraid to. I have started high school and it seems that all I can think about is hiding my legs and avoiding showing them at all (because at our school we have a uniform skirt). Leg shaving is a very common subject for girls my age to talk about (except me). All my friends talk about shaving and when they do I pretend to go bathroom or do something else. Imagine spending all of your time hiding or covering up your ugly, dark hairy legs. That is how I feel all the time. Please help.

Katie (14) from Cincinnati, OH

Answers

Best Answer

Katie, go ahead and talk to your mom. You might be surprised its something she prob has not given any thought to and it is something you have. I remember being the middle sister my mom one day
said 'you need to watch your sister shave or ask what to do' oops I was so mortified. Anyway my oldest sis used Nair hair removal creams and I still use this method the best. And some company like
Jergens makes a lotion for your legs that will slow
growth of hair or something similar. Good luck. At 14 you really need to talk to your mom or if this is still too hard try a sister, Aunt or even dear old dad. Good luck and remember your mom was 14 once too!

Best Answer

I wish I could give you a big hug! My husband and I work with our church's youth group and I have had similar talks with a lot of girls on all subjects. You need to go to mom and say that you would like to ask her something that is very important to you and ask her to listen to you all the way before she answers. Sometimes moms tune kids out with out even meaning too. Explain maturely why you want to do this and then be willing to listen to her. I view high school as the beginning of learning how to be an adult and that means having mature conversations about mature things. I really want you think about this thing... If you can't talk to your mom about shaving how on earth are you going to talk to her about more important things like drinking, sex, friends.... ? You can do this, she is your mom and she loves you A LOT even if she doesn't always show it.

Best Answer

Katie, your own mother was 14 years old at one time too! She went through the exact same thing as you are going through now. It's hard to think of our parents as ever being kids, but they were. I think crys7881 had a great idea, just ask about getting razors. Don't buy cheap disposals either, because as it was already mentioned, they feel like "cheese graters" and it won't be a good experience for you!

My dad won't let me shave, how can I ask him?

Joseph from Vienna, WA

Answers

Best Answer

How old are you? My grandson is 13. He approached his dad with his hands on his cheeks w/a grin and said, "Dad? I feel like.. hair. I think I can start shaving, girls don't like this, and look I'm getting a mustache. an I shave? His dad feeling all fatherly took him out to purchase a shaver. parents like honesty and for their teens

be open with them. He doesn't shave often, he knows when he needs to. Good luck! :)

Best Answer

How old are you and do you really need to shave? I went to school with a girl when I was growing up whose mother wouldn't allow her to shave her pits or wear deodorant. She wanted to keep her a child forever. The counselor stepped in by calling the mother and infomed her that her daughter was being shunned because of BO. Some parents just don't see their child as growing up. I say if you really need to, if it embarasses you and your father won't listen, to ask the school counselor for help. Sometimes a suggestion from another adult will go a lot farther toward being heard. When my husband was in school, they once sent home a note that said he would not be allowed to return until he came back shaved in a way that met school regulations, which were clearly defined in the note.

So I am 15 and I want to shave my legs, really, really, badly. I have really dark hairy legs. My mum bought me a razor ages ago, but she never said what I can and can't shave. I do my armpits regularly, but I don't do my legs. It hasn't been bothering me lately because it's winter, but my cousins are visiting from England in a week and I would really like to have them done by then.

My brother has told me I have hairy legs, and one of his close friend's (male) has also commented, but I just can't force myself to. My dad has also told me to shave my legs twice, but not one word from my mum. Once he said it in front of my mum so I am sure if she didn't want me to she would have said so. I think my dad is better at sharing his feelings than my mum. So what do you think? Should I just do it? I am pretty sure my mum would be fine with it, and I think when she was younger she just went and did it on her own. Please help!

I am almost 13 and have very hairy legs. A few weeks back my friend's smaller brother said my leg looks like a boy's. He was only 6, but still I felt very embarrassed. My mom has booked an appointment for herself at the parlour day after tomorrow. I am planning to tell her about this. Should I mention waxing or shaving? I am not very open with my mom about all the teenage stuff because she is a school teacher and is Linda strict, but she does ask me whether I have a bf in a joking way. We don't discuss it much. How shall I bring up the topic?

Answers

You should just say, mom my legs are hairy. What do you recommend?

She's a teacher - I'd assume she'd be understanding?

I had the same problem and just up and told my mum some girls at school were making fun of me. She helped me out straight away. I really think yours will too, given how you feel about the situation.

I always wear pants because I can't focus since I have anxiety in social situations, like school. The farthest up I will go up is long capris. My mom and I are very close, but it's very awkward on both ends. I have tried to talk to her about it, but we never get into actually talking about it. I sometimes hide my arms because of my social anxiety. It's such a weight on my chest. I don't like it.

I am 14 years old, in my freshman year of high school and I don't shave. I really want to, more than anything. I'm always too afraid to ask though. I hate when it's hot because I have to wear shorts. I've tried to buy my own razors before, but my twin sister said, "No, it's like hiding your period."
My sister isn't as crazy about this as I am. She gets really awkward when it comes to talking about anything like this, too.
All of my friends shave and I get so embarrassed whenever I'm in public. They always talk about it and I have to pretend to do something else because I'm too embarrassed. I think a few of them have noticed, and possibly talked about it behind my back. My legs make me anxious and I'm always feeling depressed.
I need to ask my mom soon. I can't take this anymore. Please help!

By Caroline S.

Answers

Best Answer

Just ask your mom. Tell her you feel confident and mature enough to start shaving.

I want to shave badly because everyone at school makes fun of me. I'm 13 and everyone, even my friends, make fun of me because of my legs. How do I get my mom to notice that I want to shave without asking her?

I am 13 and have only just started to shave my legs. My leg hairs are still growing and even faster than before. I want to wax my legs, but I'm scared to ask my mum. What should I do?

My mom and I don't have a really good relationship because she always works long hours and I don't really get a chance to talk to her. I'm 13 and in 8th grade. Basically everyone in my class is shaving and wears a bra (at least a sports bra), but I don't know how to ask her.

My legs are really hairy and I have a lot of armpit hair. My mom has brought it up a couple of times when I have casually said that I have lots of leg hair, but she just ignores it. Once though, she said that she didn't start shaving until she was in college. I can't wait until college! I really want to shave now. Even my dad and brother have brought it up to me how my legs look like boys' legs with all that hair.

Two years ago, we were shopping and I was buying a tank top with her and I told her how I didn't know if I wanted it because I had so much armpit hair. She told me I could shave it off, but she has never really gone back onto the topic. I have worn dresses before and I have purposely raised my arms to flash her my armpit hair to see if she would notice. I think she did, but she just never really brings it up.

On the topic of bras, currently, I am only wearing camis with like the training bras attached to them in the inside, but my mom won't upgrade me into an actual training bra. I just don't know how to bring it up. She doesn't wear sports bras and she doesn't own them either so I have a feeling she doesn't really know what they are or just never used them. All of my friends wear them and I really want one and I think I am ready for one.

How should I approach her about these? Lots of people say to just confront her, but when the time comes close, I just back out.

Answers

Tell her you need to talk to her about something important and have her set a time when she won't be working, like an appointment. then you can't just back out.

If making a time to talk with her is not possible, you can consider writing a note to her describing your specific concerns. Ask for her help to start shaving and going to a store for a bra-fitting.

Good Luck!!!

And if your mother doesn't come through (it happens), ask your best friend's mom? Or an aunt?

How's your relationship with your dad? Maybe you could ask him? Or maybe Mom is more comfortable with it than you expect she'll be. Just ask. As a mom myself, I left stuff like that up to my son, knowing that when he was ready, he'd ask. I agree with the other person that answered who said maybe you could leave her a note. Be strong, sweetie. Let her know how embarrassed you are because other girls your age are already shaving and wearing bras. I guarantee you she doesn't want you to feel bad about yourself. Hang in there!

Just talk to her alone or without any distractions tell her you need a bra you need to shave. I am scared to tell my mom I need to shave and I am not even a teen. I don't reply know about the bra I was in 2nd grade and she told me.

I'm 13 and I was wondering if I should ask my mom if I could start shaving because I just feel embarrassed to show my legs in school or outside of school. I really need help on this because my mom doesn't shave and last time I asked her and she ended up saying no which made me mad and angry because every girl at school shaves except for me. Please help!
(Sorry for grammar errors)

Answers

A good way to ask your mom about shaving is to simply write her a note asking for her help to learn how to shave your legs. You can explain that you are embarrassed and would like to start shaving now.
Good Luck!

Another thing you can do is enlist the help of an aunt or older cousin who does shave her legs. They might help you broach the subject to your mom.

Don't be mad at your mom because first of all, it will be ten times harder to ask her again and second of all, she probably doesn't want you to grow up quite yet, or she thinks that you just want to impress boys. Tell your mom exactly why you want to shave. If she still says no, don't get upset, just ask her why

I'm 13 and my legs and armpits are getting really hairy. The hair is dark, so it's really noticeable. All my friends shave, even a couple who don't look like they've hit puberty. I'm not at all scared to shave, but I'm worried about asking my mom about it. Does she expect me to ask her, or is she waiting to talk to me about it?

Answers

Your mother may not realize you are concerned about your need to start shaving. You are concerned about your hair growth so you should discuss this with your mother.

If for some reason you are shy to talk to your mother about this, perhaps you have an aunt or a cousin or an older sister with whom you feel more at ease who could help you talk to mom about shaving.

When I was in fifth grade everyone was already shaving they're legs. I thought this was a little ridiculous and started in sixth grade at twelve years old without my mothers permission. I wouldn't recommend it. When she did find out, when we were at the doctors office getting my hurt knee x rayed, she didn't seem to happy, plus it was awkward. I would recommend asking first.

I am going to be in 9th grade soon and my arms and legs are really hairy. I really want to shave my legs, but my Mom says no.

I know that I shouldn't be embarrassed about my body, but I just really want to feel confident.

I'm not confident enough to wear shorts, skirts, and dresses because people stare at my legs (and sometimes my arms).

How should I break it off to my Mom? And should I really shave?

I am 13 years old and I haven't really hit puberty yet. Everyone else in my year has started shaving their legs. I have really hairy legs and want to shave them so I can be like my friends, but I'm so scared to ask my mum because she doesn't seem like one of those chill mums. She is kinda awkward and I'm a little shy to ask! What should I do? Help!

Answers

Is there someone, like an aunt or an older cousin, who you could talk to first and who could help you bring up the subject to your mom? If there is, go to them for advice and aid. As a mom of boys, this sort of thing never came up for me. Does your mom shave her legs? If so, maybe just bring up the subject of hair when you and she are by yourselves, like when you are in the car. You could just ask if you could buy some disposable razors so you can shave your legs, because all the other girls in class are doing so, and you don't want to feel different from your friends.