Talking to Mom About Shaving Legs

I am almost 13 and have very hairy legs. A few weeks back my friend's smaller brother said my leg looks like a boy's. He was only 6, but still I felt very embarrassed. My mom has booked an appointment for herself at the parlour day after tomorrow. I am planning to tell her about this. Should I mention waxing or shaving? I am not very open with my mom about all the teenage stuff because she is a school teacher and is Linda strict, but she does ask me whether I have a bf in a joking way. We don't discuss it much. How shall I bring up the topic?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

You should just say, mom my legs are hairy. What do you recommend?

She's a teacher - I'd assume she'd be understanding?

Anonymous

Thx for helping. I will use your idea.

I had the same problem and just up and told my mum some girls at school were making fun of me. She helped me out straight away. I really think yours will too, given how you feel about the situation.

Your mother may agree to a depilatory. My mother did. She was afraid I'd cut my legs shaving.

I would just tell her you need to start shaving because it's almost summer!

I agree that you should just try to discuss it with your mother. Ask her permission and also ask what she thinks is the best way to do this. My granddaughter also seemed to be hesitant about asking this question but it was settled and now she has to keep it up on a weekly basis (not sure she realized it would be a lifetime "chore").

Perhaps you can get your mother to read some of the comments on the Internet about this subject - I was surprised that almost all site's recommendations are the same.
Here are just a couple for starters (and some good instructions):

http://www.pare … o-begin-shaving/

http://teens.we … ing-tips-girls#1

I have the same problem with mum. She says no and my legs are soo hairy and she doesn't know what I suffer these days. Can you help me on advice what to say?

I think that you should start by asking her when she started shaving and when her mom let her

for some reason this was a very fraught issue in my house. It could not be approached in any way so finally I just decided to take matters in my own hands and got a razor and shaved them.

it was a classic 'ask forgiveness v/ permission' scenario, but it got the point across

in a larger sense, it IS your body and it doesn't make sense to ask permission to do something with yourself, unless it were to get a tattoo or piercing which you can't at your age anyway. Just going for it and ask questions later is a fine approach

on the other hand, if you have a better way to do it, I would recommend discussing it with her. Just telling her that story would affect her because she will not (it is assumed) want her daughter to suffer public humiliation. Plus it sounds to me like a daughter mother bonding opportunity, to got to the parlor and get the hair shaved.