Asking a Guy Friend to a Dance

Category Dances
Asking a close friend to a school dance is not an uncommon occurrence. This is a guide about asking a guy friend to a dance.

I'm really good friends with this guy from another school. I haven't seen him in person for a couple months, but I talk to him on the phone everyday. I really like him and I want to ask him to my school's dance that's coming up. I want to ask him in a simple way, nothing fancy, but I don't know how to bring the dance up in conversation. I need help fast because I only have ONE WEEK until I have to ask him.

just ME! from Cincinnati, OH

Answers

Best Answer

Start talking about school then say my school is having a school dance, is yours? Hey I got a great idea want to go together?
And It is as simple as that.

Best Answer

If you talk with him everyday you must get along great. Just tell him about the dance and how you think it would be a nice/fun way for you to get together and hangout since you havent been able to hangout in a long time.

I would tell him as soon as you can though, just in case he makes other plans he cant get out of. And he'll have to make sure he can make it out to where you're out and have something to wear.

Best Answer

Bless your heart. Don't be shy . Just come out and ask him. I asked my husband to a play at my highschool. We've been married 36 years! Good luck!

Best Answer

Make him a candy bar card & have another friend deliver it or hang it on his locker. Buy candy bars & snacks, then work the titles into sentences. You could put stuff like:
"It's fun to be with you, because you make me"SNICKER".
"Going out with you would be "MOUNDS" of fun!"
"Be a "LIFESAVER" & go with me to the dance."

You get the idea - be creative & make it fun! How could he say no if you put a little effort into it?

My friend and I have been best friends since 5th grade. Now we're going into our freshman year and that also means homecoming. He is always kinda sad and he knows I'm always there if he needs someone to talk to. This year I want to ask him to homecoming, but I only want to ask as friends. My reason is that, I have a boyfriend, but we don't really want to go public yet. I already discussed this with him and he is fine with me asking my friend to the dance. My problem is, how exactly am I supposed to clarify that I am asking him to be my date to the dance, but only as friends?

Answers

I would be honest. Tell him he is a dear friend and you'd love to go to the dance with him and your boyfriend is fine with it.

I would let him know how much you value his friendship and how over the years the friendship has grown. Also tell him about your boyfriend if he doesn't already know. Be honest with him and up front.

I would tell him that you want to go to the homecoming dance with him and why you want him to go with you. I am sure he will be happy to accompany you to the dance.

Since you are already good friends talking honestly about the event should not be a problem but maybe you should start with a reminder that you and he are good friends and, as a friend, you would like to see him happy and you think the two of you going to this event together would make both of you happy.

If he knows about your boyfriend then you could also say that you have discussed it with him and the also thinks it is a good idea.
You do not say why he is "kinda" sad but if just being in your company - as a friend - makes him feel better, then he should be able to accept your offer/request in that same light.

Tell him you guys should go as friends in a friendly-suggestion type of way. Don't make it seem romantic or lovey in the least! Also make sure you mention a couple times your boyfriend is cool with it. It should be fine. Just make sure you come across as just friends from beginning to end. And have fun!!

Just be honest and explain it to him the way you did here.

Everyone I told you me and my boyfriend are not going public. Mine and my boyfriends mutual friends know about the relationship but we don't want anyone else to know yet. The friend I want to ask is not to know about the relationship quite yet. I just really want to know how to make it clear that I want to go as just friends.

You say all your mutual friends know about your boyfriend and you say the friend you want to ask is your best friend since 5th grade has not been told. So why aren't you ready to tell him about your boyfriend? You are very concerned in making sure he knows this is just a friendship date. Is it that your best friend has feelings for you and you know it? If so, he could get hurt if you tell him you have a boyfriend but you want him to go with you to an event as friends only.

Why can you not go public with your boyfriend? I suspect that your boyfriend is not a suitable companion for you and the adults in your life would not approve. Something is wrong here.

Bottomline, If you can't be honest with your friend, you need to find another date for homecoming.

That's very sweet that your boyfriend is allowing you to ask your best friend to homecoming.

Tell him, let's go to homecoming together as friends! Nothing further.

You're both friends since 5th grade so asking him to homecoming shouldn't spark anything. And he probably knows you have a crush on someone else like your boyfriend perhaps?

My parents actually really like my boyfriend, and his parents like me. In fact his sister is even one of my best friends. The reason we don't want to go public is because his parents are divorced and we want to wait till the whole custody thing is established. He goes back and forth between his moms and dads houses and We do not want to put more stress on his family by telling them about the relationship. I also do not was the stress of people trying to pressure us to do something that we don't want to do put on us. The friend knows I'm in a relationship he just does not know who the other person is. He does not know my boyfriend very well and even if I told him a name he wouldn't know who it is.

How can I ask my guy friend to a semi formal dance? My crush and I have been good friends for a while and there is a semi formal dance coming up. I really want to ask him, but one he is a year older than me and I don't know of he will take me seriously. Secondly, I don't want to make this friendship weird. Please help!

By Taylor

Answers

Best Answer

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way to ask him that will make sure that he will react in the perfect way. There is always a risk that he will either feel like you are more of a friend and he might feel a little uncomfortable, or that he might go with you and it might make you both feel uncomfortable later.

However, if you really, really like this guy and are willing to take that risk, then, hey, go for it! You have to be prepared for either possibility, but when you feel something special, it is worth the risk.

I would just straight out tell him that you think he should go with you to the dance. You don't have to even tell him that you want it to be as a date--you can just see how he reacts first. If he acts uncomfortable, you can say that you should just go as friends, if not, then just see where it takes you. Be ready for anything, and keep your cool no matter what happens. Good luck!

Best Answer

Just ask him! Go for it. You only live once, might as well have some fun. Take a risk. If you don't, you'll beat yourself up for not doing it because what if he would of said yes?!

I have a formal coming up in November on the 6th. I have a friend who is a senior and I am a junior, but I would like to ask him to the dance. He and I are friends and have known each other for 3 years now, but we don't hang out except in JROTC which is the only class he and I have together. Sometimes he compliments me about how I look and last year at the military ball for JROTC the song "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri came on and he asked me if I wanted to dance to it and I said yes. I like him, but I don't want to make things weird between us by asking him to formal. Any advice for if I should ask him or not? And if I should tell him how I feel?

Answers

Asking older man to a dance.

Step 1
You have to figure out if you just want him for a friend or more.

Step 2
Just be honest with him.

Step 3
I would ask him to the dance.

Sure, why not ask him? It's a dance not a steady commitment. It's always best to be upfront and honest about your feelings and intentions so nobody has to guess what they are. I say give it a shot!

Ah, high school. I remember it well. At least I think I do. It's a time of awkwardness and uncertainty, and major fears of rejection. I was asked by a guy friend to prom when I was a junior and he was a senior. I was extremely awkward and expected more from him that he was ready for, and that awkwardness essentially ended our friendship. Don't let this happen to you.

Be confident in yourself.

You don't mention if you have a crush on him, just that he's your friend, so let's go with that. Let's assume you just want to hang out with a guy you think is fun to be with and think it would be nice to hit the dance floor with him and see what happens.

Next time you see him, casually ask him if he's got a date for the formal. If he doesn't, say, "Well, maybe we could go together. It'd be fun."

It's an invitation that doesn't really put him on the spot if he's not interested, and keeps it casual. No awkwardness. On the plus side, it shows him that you're at least interested in being with him outside of JROTC and it opens the door for him to consider something more without all that angsty stuff.

If you like him as more than a friend, it's completely okay to instead ask him, "Would you like to be my date for the dance?" The worst he can do is say, "No, thanks." If he turns you down, don't think of it as a rejection. Think of it as him missing an opportunity to get to know you better. If he does say no, just smile and say, "Okay. I'll see you later, then. Have a great day!"

Remember, the key here is to remain open, confident and positive. This isn't for his benefit, though, believe it or not. When you act confident and positive, you become those things. And if he does tell you no, consider it a learning experience and move on. He is still a friend.

I hope this helps you a bit and that no matter what happens, you have a great time at your formal.

I'd suggest going with him in a very casual way. I wouldn't go all out with a fancy invite. It sounds like you two have a good rapport, so just mention you'd like to go, ask him if he was thinking of going... If yes, offer to go together.

I have a friend in school and we have been good friends for quite a while. Yesterday I got thinking and I really want to ask him to my semi formal in December, but I have no clue how. Some details: I have a boyfriend that can't go to the dance, so I just want to go with him as friends. And I don't want him to think I'm hitting on him.

By Kaley G.

Answers

I'm going through the same situation. I have no idea how to ask him and make it obvious it is just as friends. but the question is does he have anyone he's wanting to go with or are the chances of him going with someone slim to none. Since my friend is single and he probably won't get a date, I'm planning on bringing up that since neither of us have a date we should go together.