Asking a Friend to a Dance

I have a friend in school and we have been good friends for quite a while. Yesterday I got thinking and I really want to ask him to my semi formal in December, but I have no clue how. Some details: I have a boyfriend that can't go to the dance, so I just want to go with him as friends. And I don't want him to think I'm hitting on him.

By Kaley G.

I'm going through the same situation. I have no idea how to ask him and make it obvious it is just as friends. but the question is does he have anyone he's wanting to go with or are the chances of him going with someone slim to none. Since my friend is single and he probably won't get a date, I'm planning on bringing up that since neither of us have a date we should go together.