Would you Buy a French Door Refrigerator?

I am interested in buying a new french door refrigerator. I am older and tired of bending down to clean lower refrigerator. These have bottom freezers and we enjoyed a similar one years ago. I don't know if it is too much of a fad, the french doors, since you can buy a solid top door. Vanity or what?

By Barb

I have a friend that has one, she loves it, but for her it is also a vanity item, just like her stove with a smooth top. She lives in rentals and has an awful time finding rentals that will let her bring her own appliances with. Myself I wouldn't do that in a rental, because I figure if the landlord furnishes the appliances he is responsible for repairs. Also the french door refrigerators are larger than the standard refrigerator. Whenever she goes to look at a rental, she takes a tape measure with to measure the space. I don't know that I would consider them a fad, as much as you have to make sure you have enough space, both width and height for one. Other than that it is get what you want.

I just bought a french door fridge. I am not as happy with it as I thought I would be. This one has the large skinny drawer under the crisper and meat keeper (for deli trays and who uses those very often?). It is hard to open sometimes and things slide around and get hidden at the back of that drawer. The shelves are not as movable as I'd like either. Can't make the shelf I put a gallon of milk on any higher so I can put a bottle of wine on it. I use a lazy susan to hold lots of my smaller bottles/jars. You can see most of what you have in it (good view all around, except the deli drawer). I do like the thing, just not exactly what I expected. A regular refrigerator would have done just as well (and much cheaper). Good luck!

I wanted one for the same reason you do, Barb-for the ease of use. I'm getting to a point in life where bending to get something out of the bottom part of the fridge is not the sort of stress I want to put on my back.

But when I was remodeling my little house in north GA, I couldn't afford even the least expensive of those fridges. So I looked around, and realized I would be really happy with a freezer-less compact counter top 4.7 cu-ft fridge, and a compact counter top 5 cu-ft upright freezer.

I spent $150 on the fridge, $350 in the freezer, and I got just what I wanted! I was alone and didn't need a big fridge, but entertained fairly often; the freezer-less fridge held a lot! It even had a crisper bin. I was very happy with the freezer, too, made my life really easy to simply open the doors on either unit to see what was in there. Both units sat on the counter and looked rather posh! The woman who bought my house thought I'd spent a lot of money for the set, lol!

Four years after I hoisted those two up on the kitchen counter, I remarried and moved to Scotland. We are remodeling the kitchen, and yes, the compact style is on our list-when my soon to be husband saw how nice it was to have everything at eye level in my American kitchen, he said we'd do it in our Scottish one. :)

I have a bottom freezer single door Samsung fridge. Milk fits in door deli meat drawer crisper drawer and another drawer. I love it! Freezer has 2 pull out drawers and ice maker. Cleaning is easy.

French-door refrigerators suck. I'd choose a model with one solid door, one that has reversible hinges. Freezer underneath is the only way to go. Way more efficient than any other configuration. Expensive frozen air can't leak out easily when you open the freezer. I worked in engineering at a Wisconsin plant that produced all refrigerator models. I bought a test model at a discount and it lasted forever. What a bargain!

I just replaced my refrigerator that had the freezer on the bottom and the regular door on the top. I was so tired of bending over trying to see the items in the back and bottom! I replaced it with a side by side where I can see what I have much better.

The freezer part is not wide enough to put frozen pizzas in there.

French Door Refrigerators
Home and Garden Home Improvement Kitchen AppliancesJune 13, 2011
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
French Doors
Inexpensive French Doors to Replace Sliding Glass Door