Yellowed Curtains

I have a pair of white (now yellowed) cafe kitchen curtains that were in bad need of a wash, they looked yellowed so I figured bleach would whiten them up, nope. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get my white curtains back and get rid of the yellow look? Thanks!

Janis from Ohio

Answers:

Yellowed Curtains

You can could try stain remover. I use Spray and Wash. (05/18/2005)

By bugs

Yellowed Curtains

If you have a clothesline available, hang them in the bright, hot, sun for a couple of days. (05/18/2005)

By Mary Ellen

Yellowed Curtains

Try Rit dye remover, or whatever brand is available. (05/18/2005)

By siris

Yellowed Curtains

Have you tried Oxi-clean? It works wonders. Also, hanging in bright sun may help. (05/19/2005)

By rosa

Yellowed Curtains

Soak your curtains in lemon juice before hanging them outside. The lemon juice should bleach them. (05/19/2005)

By sewingmamma

Yellowed Curtains

Try adding some Mrs. Stewart's bluing to the rinse water. Blue neutralizes yellow. (05/19/2005)

By Sue

Yellowed Curtains

I second the suggestion of Oxi-clean. That stuff is wonderful! (05/19/2005)

By Ela

Yellowed Curtains

I just found 2 pillows with covers in the garage that never made it inside. The covers were yellow and horrid looking, I pitched the pillows and but bleach and baking soda with laundry soap and tossed pillow covers in the washing machine. When it began to agitate I turned the machine off, then a couple hours later I turned it back on again and they came out white! I was surprised. My friend told me it was the soaking that did it. Good Luck! (05/19/2005)

By meoowmom

Yellowed Curtains

I put my "yellowed" (we're both smokers) curtains in the washer with my regular detergent (Cheer) and a half cup of 20 Mule Team Borax, let it agitate for about 15 minutes, let it soak for an hour or so, then ran it through a regular cycle and they came out white again. Good Luck! (06/12/2005)

By Nonna Mar

Yellowed Curtains

I tried 20 mule team borax. That didn't work. I tried Oxi-clean, also did not work. So last resort, I bought 3 boxes of Rit dye remover, agitated according to box instructions and rinsed. They came out like brand new. (09/25/2005)

By sue

Yellowed Curtains

For yellowed washables, I use a combination of bleach and powdered dishwasher detergent in hot water. Let soak for an hour, then wash. Excellent results! (05/10/2007)

By bbleackley