Yorkshire Terriers Peeing on the Couch

I have 3 dogs Yorkshire Terrier, 2 males (3 and 6 years old) and 1 female (2 years old). The males pees all over the house, especially on the couch, and I don't know what to do.

Bia from CA

Yorkshire Terriers Peeing on the Couch

If your dogs aren't neutered, have them neutered.

Your male dogs are 'marking' their territory and are also urinating to dominate the couch, other furniture, your carpet, your lawn, etc. If you take them for walks on a leash, don't allow them to urinate anywhere other than your own back yard. Allowing a dog to 'mark' bushes and trees in the neighborhood tells the dog that he owns it. Dominant dogs are born dominant and they must not be allowed to behave this way because they will certainly attempt to dominate you and your family members. Just because a dog is small, it doesn't mean they can't be dominant.

I would first take them to the vet and make sure there are no medical causes for this and if they check out fine, there are other steps to take.

If you have to, restrict their water intake. Pick up the water bowls at a certain time in the evening and make sure they have gone potty plenty of times throughout the day and for the last time at night. You didn't say if your dogs sleep in a crate at night but this will help. Crate train them and this way, they have a safe, cozy little place to sleep and you can rest easy knowing they aren't soiling your house.

Another reason they are doing this is because they are showing the female dog that she isn't the pack leader. You are the pack leader and you must treat your dogs as if they were not housebroken. As soon as you see them about to lift their leg or sniff around for a place to pee, yell, "NO!" and immediately take them outside to finish. One of the problems though is, they have already soiled your house and the scent is everywhere. I suggest you buy a product at your local pet store that gets rid of this smell. A dog will usually go back time and time again to the same places where it urinated even though you may have cleaned the spots with a household cleaner.

Good luck. (08/11/2006)

By ldyharley

Yorkshire Terriers Peeing on the Couch

I had the very same problem with my son's 2 fox terrier male dogs who are living with me! They have absolutely ruined my new house marking their "territories" everywhere. We finally had them neutered this summer, and that problem is GONE! Now I am trying about every cleaning product available to get ruin of stains and odors! (08/12/2006)

By jayhawkfanatic

Yorkshire Terriers Peeing on the Couch

Crate training would fix the problem, I think. Google "crate training" and you will get lots of helpful ideas. I have crate-trained 3 dogs and none peed in the house, that is, unless I didn't notice them standing at the back door -with their legs crossed ;-)

Good luck. Dogs are worth all the headaches! (08/15/2006)

By Claudia-MD

Yorkshire Terriers Peeing on the Couch

Crate training and neutering are the only answers I can give you. Neutering will take care of the need to mark and crate training will take care of the peeing all over.

When crate training it is important to stay consistent. The crate should be just big enough for the dog to lay down in and when standing turn around. If it is bigger the dog will not get the point as fast. You can also buy a bigger crate with a separator that will take the space down for now. Your dogs are older so they don't have to go right after they eat but it is a good time to start. When they have to go, take them to one spot in the yard. Give them a cue word, we use tee tee, this way they get the hint. Do not play with the dog at this time. When the dog does go, praise him/her. If the dog goes in the house, tell it no sternly and take it immediately outside to the spot. This only reinforces the spot they are allowed to go in.

When the dog is in the crate, allow it to go in there at least once. You will most likely have to bathe the dog afterwards as well as clean the crate but it gets the point across. The dog will not want to lay in its own mess and will not repeat it. Dogs naturally do not like filth in their home.They just don't automatically understand that your home is their home.

Once the dog stops making messes in their crate, then you can move on to the rest of the house. Repeat the process throughout the house.

Your best bet in cleaning is steam cleaning and citrus cleaners. Or what ever smell your dog dislikes the most. If you are consistent, you shouldn't have any issues at least until your dogs are old. I have trained at least thirty dogs this way. I have up to ten dogs in my house at one time and I have never had a problem with regression, even when we add a pup to the training camp. HTH (08/15/2006)

By lifewithmadman

Yorkshire Terriers Peeing on the Couch

Best problem solver I have found is a wrap that goes around the male and Velcro closed at the top. Mine are neutered, but will still mark. And sure don't want them having to stay in a crate Some pet stores have them or can be ordered from Foster & Smith catalog. (09/07/2006)

By BillieK

Yorkshire Terriers Peeing on the Couch
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Yorkshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos