Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a guide about removing black mold on the ceiling. Black mold can be difficult to get rid of anywhere in the home, but the ceiling can be one of the most challenging.
How to get rid of mold on your ceiling? I'm going to use a round hole saw and make an opening where I will mount what is called a muffin fan.
This is a video about removing mold from painted walls. According to the CDC mold spores can come into your house from the outside through open doorways, open windows or heating and cooling systems with outdoor intakes. Spores can also attach themselves to your clothing or your pets and be brought inside your house. Once inside, mold thrives and grows in moisture rich places, making the bathroom a common place to find mold.
Why is it important to remove mold? Not only does It look gross but inhaling mold spores can cause respiratory problems, especially for people with asthma.
Properly ventilating your bathroom when you are taking a bath or shower can help prevent mold.
Keep humidity levels your house to between 40% and 60% by using an air conditioner or dehumidifier during humid months.
For the removal of the mold we have chosen to use two products that you can buy at your local home improvement store. Mold Armor Mold Blocker and Mold Armor Mildew and Mold Remover.
You need to be careful with these products. A mask, eye protection, rubber gloves and a ladder are recommended. Avoid leaving Mold Armor Mildew and Mold Remover on vinyl windows or plastic shower enclosures for more than 15 minutes.
The video shows the mold on the ceiling portions has completely disappeared. On the top of the window, where the mold was the thickest, a second application was needed. After that, all the mold has disappeared.
While these products were successful, the drawback is the expense, these two bottles cost about $15.00 combined and we only need amall mount of each to remove the mold.
It will require a little more elbow grease than using the store bought removers, but it will work.
By Lewis from Port Orchard, WA
A quick update, the mold was removed about 2 months ago and none has returned.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I had my bedroom wall treated for damp and mould a few months back and it seemed to cure the problem. However I've recently decorated with emultion paint, but noticed the paint won't stay on in the areas that were treated. I'm not sure what was used to treat the mould/damp, but wondered what I can do to cover the walls now?
I think you should contact the company that did the treatment and find out what they used, and if they know how to deal with the problem. If they are not helpful, contact a paint company, armed with the info you have gotten from the mold treatment people, and find out what product they might have or what you might have to do to prep the walls for paint. It may be as simple as using a good primer. Here in North America, we have a paint called Kiltz (I think that is how it is spelled) that is useful for these sorts of things. I think you are somewhere else, however, as we do not talk of emulsion paint.
Hi Sarah - The simple solution would be to use an oil based primer and paint over.
Does mould sink into painted ceilings so that it does not come off?
Yes, and you have to remove it and kill anything left over. It will continue to grow if you do not. J