Craft: Bookmarks From Recycled Cards

I grew up with my mother recycling things out of necessity. Now, many years later, it is not only out of necessity to save money, but also to help the environment. I collect up old greeting cards (birthday and Christmas) and make lovely bookmarks to give out to friends at Christmas time. They make a special extra touch when giving a book to someone as well. This craft is a great recycling project for children too, by teaching them not to throw their birthday cards away. No need to buy a bookmark anymore.

Instructions:

Collect old greeting cards, you only need the fronts. Be creative. Cut out bookmark size shapes without any words on it. Punch a small hole in the center top and thread a string or narrow ribbon through (see photo). Use fancy edged scissors for a unique look, or ordinary scissors will do the trick.

By linn.2009 from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Those are really pretty. Thanks for sharing.

A paper cutter will also give you a really straight edge and speed up the process if you are making a lot for a fundraiser for instance. The ones in your pic are lovely.

What a super idea, I can see using these as a gift tag and indicating on the back to use as a bookmark once the gift is opened. What is it, maybe a book!

These bookmarks are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing. It seems just when I find a new way to use something, it is no longer needed. With many people getting the high tech readers, they have no need for bookmarks. I continue to love them and keep my old ones of all different types. Another thing is with more and more people sending ecards, we probably won't be receiving as many beautiful cards to recycle.

The bookmarks are so pretty. They can last longer if you cover them front and back with clear contact paper. You can make placemats too by gluing card pictures onto sturdy backing and covering front and back with clear contact. You can do that to children's pictures too. It's a good craft for kids making presents.

Using Old Christmas Cards
Uses for Old Greeting Cards
Crafts Paper CardsAugust 18, 2010
Finished tile trivet project (square format).
Making a Greeting Card Trivet
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards
A bookmark made out of wallpaper scraps.
Homemade Bookmarks
🎉
🎄