Making Beaded Bookmarks
Making beaded bookmarks is a fun craft that can be elaborate or easy enough for children to do themselves. This is a page about making beaded bookmarks.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Beaded bookmarks--often marketed as "Book Thongs" and sold for seven to ten dollars at bookstores, but easy to make and an excellent project to use up odd bead leftovers from other projects. These also make lovely gifts--especially if you are also giving a book!
Approximate Time 10 Minutes
- 12 inches of waxed linen thread, embroidery floss, or thin ribbon
- assorted beads and spacers--usually around ten pieces
- Tie a double overhand knot or square not in one end of the thread, string, or ribbon. Be sure that the knot is bigger than the hole of the bead you wish to use (see picture)
- String beads on the knot end of the thread, string, or ribbon. I usually add about an inch and a half's worth (see picture). Tie a knot at the end of the beads when the arrangement is to your liking. Again, be sure that the knot is bigger than the holes in the beads.
- If you're nervous about making sure the bookmark is long enough to span a book, do a trial run with a book. Mark with your finger the appropriate length of thread, string, or ribbon (see picture).
- Repeat step 2 on the other end of the thread, string, or ribbon.
- Tie off the end so that no beads escape and you have a beaded bookmark suitable for reading or for gift giving! See the main picture for the finished product in use!
By Stephanie from Anchorage, AK
I have made hundreds of these and they are quick and easy! Make them with thin ribbon and beads.
By Pam from Elkhart, IN
Kelli Mahoney1 found this helpful
August 8, 2005
These are simple and fun gifts to give for all kinds of occasions. They are easy enough for a child to complete, or you can make them more embellished for your personal use.
January 10, 20070 found this helpful
This is a fun craft that kids can do in minutes. These bookmarks make great gifts.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
November 4, 20111 found this helpful
What size of waxed linen string is best for beaded bookmarks?
November 5, 20110 found this helpful
All depends on size of hole in bead, different beads have different size holes.
Answer this Question...
November 9, 20111 found this helpful
I have friends who do bead work and they like dental floss, too. It's very tough and you can get waxed and unwaxed. I hope this helps.
PS: It has to be cheaper, too.
June 9, 20191 found this helpful
Ribbons and cords lie nicely between the pages. The beads not only make the bookmarks look pretty, but they also function as weights to hold the bookmark in place. Make them for gifts for friends and family.